ezup question

N

n-2-que

Went by sam's to check out what they had in equipement for ezups... found

10x20 hercules for 198.83
and the encore II 10x10 with sidewalls for 198.76

not really certain on what would be better to get and if its the 10x10 how many i would need to have. any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have two one is a 12x15 the other is a 12x12. I do have a trailer to tho, witch makes a big difference. The hercules I don't think is a ez up style, it is pipes that need to be put together.I set up alone most of the time so the ez up work better for me. Hope that helps

i will also have a 7x14 trailer... just trying to get a bearing on all the stuff i will need to get started and canopies is just one more not answered questions i had/have

N2Q,

When time permits, please use the search function above for canopies, EZ-ups etc....Lot's of good info on this in old posts discussing size, brands, quality, sidewalls, # of canopies etc..

Here's one : http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13839&highlight=canopies

Personally, I believe canopy space totalling 10 x 20 is ideal. However, I prefer using (2) 10 x 10's with sidewalls... We prep under one with tables and the other is used to relax under and keep misc. items. You can certainly get by with one canopy if you will have a trailer in the event of rain... Sidewalls are great for rain and sun protection in extreme heat. We dealt with both this summer at contests..

10 x 20 full units often are more cumbersome to set up but may be cheaper. The EZ up style (The brand I have is Caravan - equally as good or better) is a real time saver.

Also, pay attention to material quality and and ease of getting holes in them, being fire retardant etc.

I bought a 12x12 quickshade a few months back and it's a nice size, but have had absolutely zero luck finding 12 foot side panels for it. Anyone ever seen em anywhere?

so i am taking by all this... the size of space we have at comps a single 10x20 with sidewalls should do the trick? hopefully also enuff space to keep the trailer under also.

Yes... you can put trailer on one side and then the 10x20 canopy on the other side of the space.

The 10 x 20 canopy will take up the full 50% of the 20 x 20 site. The trailer will be on the other side and take up 14 of the 20 feet lengthwise (plus the tongue lenth) and you should have ample place to take off the FEC-100 and cook on the ground unless the trailer is an open trailer than you will be cooking on the platform.

hmmm how big a space do most competitions give us? trying to figure out exactly space i am sure its different from one to another but is there a space that most comps are going with now/

Some have unlimited space. I think crowded contests usually give you 20 X 30.

n-2-que said:
hmmm how big a space do most competitions give us? trying to figure out exactly space i am sure its different from one to another but is there a space that most comps are going with now/

HUM--seems like I answered this recently, but maybe I am confused :redface:

Normal minimum is 20 X 20.
As organizers catch on--sites sizes are going up dramatically.
In this area, 20 X 30 is most common and then all the way to full RV sites.

TIM

thanks everyone for the input. will haveta mark out space once i get my canopies/smoker/trailer and see how everything will fit up. then start a few practice runs.

Be careful about 10 x 20 canopies. I bought one and it was not the same head space, quality etc. Luckily the frame was cracked and I was able to return it to the seller on ebay. Afterwards, I picked up two 10 x 10 ez-ups from Sam's.

We use 2 10x10 canopies and don't usually have them together. But then we usually have either a motorhome (it's on the market) or my travel trailer and each have 8' awnings...that's usually our hanging out place.

One 10x10 goes over the prep area and the second is reserved in case we need to cover the cooker area if the weather degrades.

Like Tim said, most sites start at 20x20...we've seen a lot more 20x30 and 20x40 sites and they are really nice...we will pay for additional space and are usually able to get it.

currently looking over "bbq competition pics" on google atm seeing how setups are. just kinda seems like everyone just sets up and good to go.

Que,

Have you been to a comp?
We can help you better if we understand your experience level.

TIM

no i havent competed yet. will be starting mid 07 if everything works out accordingly. been asked to start catering and have done some family functions 100+ people. was considering do catering and or restaurant. but decided lets have atleast some fun so comps is what me and my wife decided todo. i have been smoking for 4 years now. guess reasoning behind comps for us is number 1 to have some fun , meet people and last on list is to atleast place.

i am working out all the little things i need to addin canopies, trailers and such. i am going from a WSM that i use. i was thinking of using a lang84 but in iowa seems not easiest way to go because of wood. so i did alot of research and FEC100 is the way we will go.

I have emailed the person from KCBS judging class on jan 13th hopefully hear back from them soon. as i want to not only compete but also judge, i also want more background in the competitions.

so this about sums up everything as to were i stand. i know i could prob get with brotherns to help out on comps, but not sure how to even start that endeavor. so as they say i am jumping in full blown off the gitgo.

just to add to this me and my wife did goto a cooking class with southern yankee this year, as we was considering vending but cost of there concession stand is a little more then we wanted to spend atm.

We use the 10x20 hercules and love it. We all like it much better than when we used 2 10x10 EZ-ups. Yea it takes more to put up and take down but it is well worth the extra effort (more heavey duty, more head room, no rain in the middle, etc). It comes with side walls and end walls and can be completely enclosed.

SmokeInDaEye said:
I bought a 12x12 quickshade a few months back and it's a nice size, but have had absolutely zero luck finding 12 foot side panels for it. Anyone ever seen em anywhere?

Bought my side panels for my quickshade including a front panel with the zipper at http://www.sportsauthority.com shipped and arrived in about 4 days.

Back