UDS Jerky

SmokinCoyote

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Has anyone used their UDS for jerky? I have a dehydrator and am happy with the results I get BUT all the flavor is from the marinade which usually has liquid smoke. The best jerky I have had was from a guy that just cured it and then dried it in a smoke house. I have tried it on my Klose but I have trouble keeping the temp low enough for the length of time needed and I just ended up "cooking" it.

I'm not necessarily looking for a recipe but advice. Since the meat drips on the coals does it stay to humid in there for it to dry? Or could I build a small little box and keep it off to the side of the drum so the juices don't hit the coals? I want to get the smoke flavor from wood, not liquid smoke.

Also, Instead of making real jerky from strips of meat I have been looking for a good recipe for dried snack stick(slim jim type) using ground beef and my jerky cannon. I have tried a few over the counter mixes but they have all been way too salty. It seems when I use the amount of cure per pound of meat in the recipes I have tried it is super salty. Anyone got a good recipe they would share?

I have not tried it in my UDS, but use my smokehouse. I'm not sure if I could get the heat low enough in my UDS. I like to dry with the smoke at a temperature of 125 or lower.

I can't remember who's picture these are,but he was doing jerky on the drum,and it looks real good!!

Attachments

• WayneNelson-CasperWY-49.jpg
    WayneNelson-CasperWY-49.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 371
  • WayneNelson-CasperWY-48.jpg
    WayneNelson-CasperWY-48.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 366
Mmmm, crome that looks good! I'm going to have to try some in mine. Thanks for the pics.

I can't remember who's picture these are,but he was doing jerky on the drum,and it looks real good!!

Dude, it was good.....

That is signature Thirdeye!

Guilty as charged....

Here are the finish pictures of that batch.

DSC04959h.jpg

DSC04953h.jpg

Hot Dam..... Pics like that above should be banned from the intranet!

funny thing is that that run, if I recall right was a test run of the hanging rods and just a fairly plain jerky recipe ... but boy they look great

those rods are the bomb

I have made jerkey with my dehydrator.. I have never used smoke flavoring, but I do marinate the meat... I love it, I actually have 5 trays and each tray has a different flavor. One tray is ALL MINE... HOT & SPICY!!!!
Definetly not as thick as the above pics, but usually still takes me 12 hours to make the jerkey...

Dude, it was good.....
Guilty as charged....
Here are the finish pictures of that batch.

Thirdeye
That is what I am wanting to do. That sure looks good.
What did you keep the temp at? About 180? How long did it take?

Sorry for all the questions. I got it down with my dehydrator but as expensive as meat is I hate to waste it on an experiment using the drum.

Thirdeye posts some of the best looking food on the site. In many ways, he is one of my heros. And his jerky looks like one of his greatest. I need to try smoking jerky that way. Did he ever post your recipe for this?

You make jerky on the smoker like you would smoke cheese...
4 or 5 briquets and a small chunk of wood. This way the heat is LOW.
The idea is to dry the meat, not cook it.

BTW:
I sent you a pm with a recipe...

I would so much like that recipe!

funny thing is that that run, if I recall right was a test run of the hanging rods and just a fairly plain jerky recipe ... but boy they look great

those rods are the bomb

Thirdeye
That is what I am wanting to do. That sure looks good.
What did you keep the temp at? About 180? How long did it take?

Sorry for all the questions. I got it down with my dehydrator but as expensive as meat is I hate to waste it on an experiment using the drum.

It was a trial run with my hanging rack. Here are the details.

For my jerky, I cured 2 pounds of London broil for 28 hours using the Hi Mountain Original flavor, but I added black pepper. It calls for 24 hours of cure time if the thickness is 1/4", mine was thicker. (My favorite flavor is the Cracked Pepper & Garlic)

IMG_0242a.jpg

My mini ring was in the other BDS at my warehouse, so I went with about 1/3 or a basket of used lump, with cherry for smoke. I had one bottom plug out and 4 top plugs out. The cooker thermometer read 160* - 170*, so I'm guessing the actual temp was higher up where I was cooking. (Side note on this, I was talking to Rocky and he was thinking that the temp should be lower up there, but I believe the heat is held by the lid)

The skewers with the thinner or smaller pieces came off in 3 hours, the thicker ones went 3-1/2 hours. I spread the meat onto several skewers to see if there was a noticeable difference in cooking from the center to the edge, and I don't think there was.

May I get the receipe?? Ill be getting my first smoker TODAY or TOMORROW.. Would like to try this as my first smoking experience.. :)

I have made jerkey with my dehydrator.. I have never used smoke flavoring, but I do marinate the meat... I love it, I actually have 5 trays and each tray has a different flavor. One tray is ALL MINE... HOT & SPICY!!!!
Definetly not as thick as the above pics, but usually still takes me 12 hours to make the jerkey...

The cure I mentioned in the post above is a dry cure. Speaking of racks, HM does make a rack with it's own drip pan. Here it is in my Egg. Only half of the skewers are shown in place.

DSC01444a.jpg

Thanks for the details thirdeye,i'll have to work on me a hanging rack this weekend.

Back