Another ABT ???

T

tumpedover

ALright I know it's here somewhere ,but I just can't find it!! Just wondering what the different techniques for keeping the cream cheese filling from running out?? I split my japs down the middle and toothpick like many others ,what are some of the other ideas (mine only kinda works!

BTW,I did check the roadmapped threads and looked thru an awful lot of others....but, feel free top send me back in :confused: ...Or not!:mrgreen:

John- I'm accused of putting too much cream cheese in mine, but I'll split and seed them and use a butter knife to fill the "boats" then I put them face down in fine shred cheese "blend" and put them together, then wrap a whole slice of bacon around and secure w/toothpicks. Mine always drip a little. Someone served some that were topped and stuffed and a small piece of bacon covered the top and held on w/tpick and cooked in a rack.

Brian

The trick for me is to squish it shut all the way. Then wrap with the bacon starting at one end to the other, and then taking the last part of the bacon and having it end in the middle so the skewer can go through it.

I don't split them. It takes a little more work to get them cleaned out, but then I don't make a ton at a time.
Also, they (Kraft) have cream cheese in a can now that makes em easy to fill.

Make big ones. That way you don't worry about a little cheese spilling out here or there.

DSC02404a.jpg

I core mine out and fill with cheese. I then take the bacon and start wrapping the pepper by laying it across the open pepper and sealing it and then wrap the rest of it. Kinda like bandaging. So, the end where the cheese runs out is covered with the bacon.
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am going to make some tonight and maybe I'll get pics if I'm not too drunk on Jack!!!!!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!!

I slice just enough off lengthwise to clean out. More of a jalapeno boat. Then just remember that the cheese mixture will expand and resist over stuffing. I wrap in bacon about half of the time, and go without the other. It seems to make eating them easier also. Hold by the stem and take it away.

Make big ones. That way you don't worry about a little cheese spilling out here or there.

DSC02404a.jpg

Looks awesome thirdeye.... Is that an anahiem?? Great suggestion everyone....I've got 1 doz fixin' to go on the smoker as we speak!!
Same mixture I normally do: cream cheese, crumbled chorizo,cilantro,shredded cheddar......I've been accused of overstuffing myself.:mrgreen: Pics to come later!

Abt

scoop em out and fill em up, poke a hole in the bottom with a tooth pick so some of the water runs out then push the pick through the side to hold them in a rack, works well!:twisted:

I core mine out and fill with cheese. I then take the bacon and start wrapping the pepper by laying it across the open pepper and sealing it and then wrap the rest of it. Kinda like bandaging. So, the end where the cheese runs out is covered with the bacon.
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am going to make some tonight and maybe I'll get pics if I'm not too drunk on Jack!!!!!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!!

Right Answer. Tip: use thin cut bacon, and a whole slice per pepper.

Although that does look fantastic, there is just something about using the jalapeno (instead of an anaheim or similar). I have used Poblanos wih great results too. It is all good! (And nobody makes it look quite as good as thirdeye)

I core mine, stuff them and put half a slice of bacon over the top.

abt1.jpg

After I smoke them, they come out looking like this...

abt2.jpg

P.S. Thanks to Norco for the ABT rack.

Just make a bunch of them and don't worry if a little cheese comes out.
:idea:

fil

Attachments

• abt's.jpg
    abt's.jpg
    517.6 KB · Views: 78
fil,

That is the idea.

Joe,

Damn, those are about the most consistent ABT's I've ever seen.

:idea: Maybe we need to commission Bigmista Productions to take the QCam on the road and record some of the techniques we have seen tonight.

You guys are drivin' me nuckin' futz! I like to get some Ancho's for the color and extra kick, but this last time I couldn't find any.

100_1732.jpg

Brian

Sorry to ask a question on someone elses question but what temp do you smoke them at and for how long?????

I slice off the top and fill with blended spiced up cream cheese with shred ched and some chorizo. Poke hole in bottom and wrap with bacon. I start by covering up the open top and then wrap the body.

I use a grapefruit knife to core them but there are jap corers online that are cheap and make the job faster.

Here's a tip - fill a ziplock bag with the cheese goo and snip off a small corner (go smaller first and make it bigger if needed). Then you can pipe in the filling in no time.

I also like to use skewers and hang them in a alum pan.

Back