Thermometers

Blutch

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Did the boiling point test on my thermos..

my accurite probe is 2 degrees low.. does that translate to 4-5 degrees for 165 and maybe 3-4 degrees for 190-200? Math is not my strong suit.

The chamber thermo that came with my Okla-Joes offest is way low (200) which means I have been cooking with much higher temps than I thought.. Plus, the placement is over on the left of the chamber and at the top where temps are low anyway right? So, a 225-250 reading there would mean meat on the grate over closer to the firebox would be cooking close to 300 eh? I have two briskets a loin and 5 fatties to put on there.. they can't all be on the left. suggestions on that?

Is there a typical place you can go and just buy one of those real good chamber thermos or do you have to order them?

Thanks for all the rookie help.

B

Here is a link to Tel-Tru barbecue thermometers. They are top notch.

http://www.teltru.com/barbecue.asp

Even with a good thermometer, there is a big difference between the thermometer reading and the actual grate temp on my pits. Try using one of those oven thermometers on the grate, then you can get a feel for the difference in reading between it and your pit thermometer.

cdd638b1.jpg

I need to buy one of these today.. are there retailers that carry them?

How bad is it that my pit thermo is 12 degrees off?

You talking about the oven therm? Usually grocery stores have them. I bought several at WalMart. They are inexpensive and have to be cleaned after each use, but you know right where you are at.

Blutch,

Just noticed you're in OKC. I went out to Academy Sports at lunch and happened to notice they have quite a few thermometers there (I-240 & Walker is the one I visited). You might take a look at them. Bass Pro may have something too.

Blutch said:
How bad is it that my pit thermo is 12 degrees off?

Not even a blip on the radar IMO. If I could keep my "queer" within 12 degrees of my target temp I'd be dancing.

My New Braunfels/Ok.Joes "chamber" thermom that I had been using with my old but still reliable Silver Smoker went south after several years of use per the boil test.
So, I got a new one from Spicewine that works just fine.
My 2 cents.

....... Accvracy ... at what temp?
....... Linearity .... maybe on at one temp and way off at others
....... Repeatability .... same answer multiple times at same temp

Example: I have two stem type, small dial, instant read themos. When set at 32*F in ice water, they are off over 30* at boiling .... reset at 212*F in boiling water, they are steadily worse going down to room temp and then on down to ice water.
Even with cheaper themometers, if they repeat consistently, and you set them in boiling water, you're going to be darn close at our common low-n-slo smoking temps. If you tend to do lots of other cooks at higher temps ... like 350*F ... you're going to need some sort of 'standard' reference so you know what your 'working' thermo says when the temp is actually 350*. If you can borrow a 'standard' unit then perhaps you can get by with a few lower cost thermometers once you know their error and write it down somewhere.

Tel-Tru, Thermapen, Spicewine are a few good places to start depending on your budget.

Back