Offset: Best Location for Thermometer?

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Brazos1.jpg

Where is the best location to mount an external thermometer on one of these offsets? This is an Academy Sports Brazos model... The cooker comes with a hole in the cooking chamber lid but it's pretty high up in the chamber and I'm fairly confident that the temp reading I'm getting at that location is a good bit higher than grate temp. I'd like to mount a thermometer lower in the chamber. Where, in relationship to the firebox and the lid handle is the best location to mount it?

Halfway between the fire box and the Middle of the smoke chamber about an inch up from the cooking grates. :becky:

Mine is in the middle of the pit door, half way up. Thats where it came from the builder. 20 year old Oklahoma Joe offset

If I was only going to install one, I would put it halfway between the handle and the smoke stack high enough that it wouldn't poke a brisket when the door is closed.

If I was going to install two, I would put the other one halfway between the handle and the firebox.

I installed mine as close as possible to area where I normally cook is.

In my case that was level with the handle, just to the right of it

I may install another one on the other side, but after using it for a few cooks while monitoring other areas with the maverick I have a good idea of what temp they are at compared to that gauge.

I I load it unusually with meat I just use the maverick to double check different spots to know where they are at

I like the idea of two, one near firebox and one near the far end by the chimney, that way you know the temperature spread across the grilling surface.

Back