• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Q-Dat......What The Heck Are You Making???

Oh HOLD IT!!!!!!!!! I get it. The cracklin are a by product. Q Dat is using my ancient and secret brisket injection. LOL

DING DING DING DING DING!!!!! We have a winner!

I'm attempting to simulate it in larger quantity.

This may be part of the process. I haven't decided yet.
5eseqygy.jpg

Technically not the sour dough brisket HOWEVER.... one thing that always made me think about say, friendship bread was... technically it had to start somewhere. The original drunken epiphany I had in the late 80's/ early 1990s when we were competing and there was talk that some areas up north (There was NOTHING happening north of Kansas) and the Jack was not really a international thing. It was a local thing. I lived in Decherd/Estill Springs/Winchester area at the time. Not to mention, east of Texarkana hardly ANYONE was doing any beef turn ins... well, brisket for competition was a Texas thing but we heard those pesky northerner that came down from Tennessee and Oklahoma were "injecting." We supposed if it ever came across at the Tyler or Taylor or one of the Rodeo BBQ's there would be disqualification if anyone ever admitted or observed it. Anyway, I drank a lot back then and remember someone spouting something off maybe Bill or Barbara Milroy, I think, like "what the hell you gonna inject a brisket with that you can't cook into it?" I started laughing and said "the smoking loveliness of your last brisket" tilted up my glass (filled with Jack Daniels chilled to 29 degrees so it would not melt the ice) and yelled "sour dough brisket."

Someone cooked one of those, we ate some and another I heard got turned in and it may or may not have won... I am not saying cuz maybe someone would have to give the trophy back because I think for a while afterward injecting was a DQ in Texas.

So... back to your stuff. Good idea cuz those smokey bones are a good start. I used brisket drippings (think guys - its filled with collagen, beef flavor and smoke and you cannot buy it) for years and when I started back up again doing 15 or so briskets at a time I developed my tri level process and the dirty Dalmatian to mimic the injection without having to inject.

Technically not the sour dough brisket HOWEVER.... one thing that always made me think about say, friendship bread was... technically it had to start somewhere. The original drunken epiphany I had in the late 80's/ early 1990s when we were competing and there was talk that some areas up north (There was NOTHING happening north of Kansas) and the Jack was not really a international thing. It was a local thing. I lived in Decherd/Estill Springs/Winchester area at the time. Not to mention, east of Texarkana hardly ANYONE was doing any beef turn ins... well, brisket for competition was a Texas thing but we heard those pesky northerner that came down from Tennessee and Oklahoma were "injecting." We supposed if it ever came across at the Tyler or Taylor or one of the Rodeo BBQ's there would be disqualification if anyone ever admitted or observed it. Anyway, I drank a lot back then and remember someone spouting something off maybe Bill or Barbara Milroy, I think, like "what the hell you gonna inject a brisket with that you can't cook into it?" I started laughing and said "the smoking loveliness of your last brisket" tilted up my glass (filled with Jack Daniels chilled to 29 degrees so it would not melt the ice) and yelled "sour dough brisket."

Someone cooked one of those, we ate some and another I heard got turned in and it may or may not have won... I am not saying cuz maybe someone would have to give the trophy back because I think for a while afterward injecting was a DQ in Texas.

So... back to your stuff. Good idea cuz those smokey bones are a good start. I used brisket drippings (think guys - its filled with collagen, beef flavor and smoke and you cannot buy it) for years and when I started back up again doing 15 or so briskets at a time I developed my tri level process and the dirty Dalmatian to mimic the injection without having to inject.

This is what I'm thinking I inject the night before with the overly rich stock, and then right before applying the rub I use a larger needle to inject the beef fat all over the flat to simulate a higher grade of beef.
Yes I know that if cooked right even a select brisket is good, but I figure in a competition it really can come down to splitting hairs.

Hmmmm on second thought this might end up as a large pot of some kind of stew or soup. There is soooo much gelatin in the finished product that it would have to be heated to be able to inject it. Then once injected its just going to set back up again when it cools.

But I still intend to use the fat.

This is what I'm thinking I inject the night before with the overly rich stock, and then right before applying the rub I use a larger needle to inject the beef fat all over the flat to simulate a higher grade of beef.
Yes I know that if cooked right even a select brisket is good, but I figure in a competition it really can come down to splitting hairs.

I used to literally dump the brisket in the stock as well as inject it. Let it sit overnight.

I had a dry injector as well that I used to inject dry spices in that fat layer between the point and flat.

As far a select. LOL I would never show up and a competition with a select. BUT, like two bats before you get on the plate its a good idea to experiment on a select cut then quickly adjust before the comp on your higher grades.

I used to literally dump the brisket in the stock as well as inject it. Let it sit overnight.

I had a dry injector as well that I used to inject dry spices in that fat layer between the point and flat.

As far a select. LOL I would never show up and a competition with a select. BUT, like two bats before you get on the plate its a good idea to experiment on a select cut then quickly adjust before the comp on your higher grades.

Now that's yet another interesting/innovative idea. I never thought of injecting dry ingredients! Do you just use a coffee grinder ro make sure the particles are real small to make it work?

I render pork fat for confit. It can get a little slippery. Never tried beef confit.

Did you add a cup of water before starting? If not, try that next time for a superior product.

Now that's yet another interesting/innovative idea. I never thought of injecting dry ingredients! Do you just use a coffee grinder ro make sure the particles are real small to make it work?

No because we trim off that fat anyway. I used some dried chunks of spices and montreal. I can't remember the name of the seasoning that had chunks of garlic, onion, other stuff.

From doing a little reading I have seen where others have said to start with water. I'm curius why is this?

I always add a cup of water when rendering lard... Cuz I read in a cookbook once you should ;)
Maybe someone more science minded could give us the skinny on the fat :)

I believe the water serves a couple of purposes. 1) Spreads the heat evenly around the fat and helps speed the rendering.

2)Keeps the heat below ~212 degrees and keeps the fat from smoking and any meat bits from browning, leading to a cleaner tasting fat.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

hmmm, now everyone is going to know what those mystery tubs of off-white stuff are in my freezer. Until now, they have been afraid to ask.

hmmm, now everyone is going to know what those mystery tubs of off-white stuff are in my freezer. Until now, they have been afraid to ask.

I fried some fresh cut taters in some yesterday! Definitely took me back.

I have been reading up on it, and the general consensus seems to be that frying in animal fat is much better for you than frying in oil of any kind.

I don't know who this guy is, but he gives a good brief description of why.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yJan2RZ9d8&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Surprise! Cooking with Lard is Healthier Than Oil - YouTube[/ame]

Back