MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Default Shipping Q - need some help

OK, need some help.

I have a friend that lives in PA and long story short, he's going to be unemployed sometime in the near future. Anyway, he's a good guy and whenever we talk, we spend a couple of minutes talking Q. He always wants to know when his rib shipment is coming. Anyway, as a way to say goodbye, I thought it would be nice to actually send him some Q.

I was thinking about cooking some pulled pork, freezing it and shipping it overnight mail to him. Ribs would also be a possiblity, but I figured the pulled pork would reheat better.

I've never shipped anything like this before and was hoping for some pointer's, everything from type of container to dry ice or whatever I need to do. Thanks in advance.
Previous: BWS Competitor (sold 2012), WSM - 18.5" (2009, sold 2011), WSM - 18.5" (2004, sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen, Yellow MK4, Fireboard, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

You could do what I did...

I want someone in Omaha, Nebraska to get some Que and contact one of our Brethren Members there. Sent some money and they cooked up a brisket and pulled pork for my friend to pick up there.

If you want to ship it, I'd vacuum seal, freeze and back with dry ice. It won't be cheap though.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
Mad Max
is Blowin Smoke!

I have shipped "Que" to family members, all around the US, especially as gifts or for special occasions. I vacuum seal and freeze the product, for a couple of days. I usually get insulated lunch bags from Walmart or Target and use the blue gel ice packs and the close the product and gel packs in another vacuum seal and then plastic wrap and into the insulated bag and then a box. I usually mail it overnight or two day air. Just need to let them know it it persihable. My family sends back the bags and gel packs, to keep the supply line running. Good luck.
Weber 22.5 Blue Kettle (CL rescue)
Turkey Fryer
Superbly accurate, ferociously fast,
RED THERMAPEN

"Certified MOINK Ball Maker" 2008
www.southerntreats.blogspot.com
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2009, 12:53 AM   #4
Desert Dweller
Babbling Farker

Location: Mesa, AZ Not exactly hell, but the zip code is very close...

I would suggest trying both Larry's and Max's methods. Have the Q shipped and delivered to me, and I will report back which was the prefered method. Anything for a brother you know...
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#ff0000]LFSA RED Thermapen,[/COLOR] [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]And 1 2010 Victor brand Hot Dog Cart[/FONT]
Desert Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2009, 08:28 AM   #5
Crüe-B-Cüe
is One Chatty Farker

A small styrofoam ice chest and some blocks of dry ice would work. My folks won a lobster dinner one time and that is how it came packaged.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:56 AM   #6
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

When I was cooking for NASCAR I would ship the meat out to the races all the time...

The best way that I found was to cook, slice (optional), cryo-suck, and then freeze for at least 2 days (I keep my freezer at -20* just for this reason). At this point I also cryo-suck (just to draw out some of the air and double seal both ends ) a couple of bags of ice cubes and put them in the deep freezer.

When I'm ready to ship, I either use a cooler box (http://www.uline.com/Product/Product...x?model=S-9903) or if I can find a box/cooler combo that would work, I go with that (just remember to pack any open space between the box and cooler with crumpled news paper). Pack the cooler with both the meat and Ice cube bags and then fill any voids with more crumpled news paper.

I've found that I can ship it 2nd-day with out any real thawing.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2009, 11:04 AM   #7
yelonutz
is one Smokin' Farker

Check with one of your local Dr's Office. They get samples sent to them in very thick styrofoam boxes on a regular basis. The foam is 2-3 inches thick. I used to trade Buckboard Bacon to my Dr. for foam boxes. I get dry ice from the local grocery store to put inside. I have shipped frozen sausage all over the US using this method. Oh yeah, like the other guys, vac pack all the meats.

NUTZ
Medium Green Egg
Mini Green Egg
New Black stoker with built in wi-fi
KCBS CBJ #20258
Drunk Uncles BBQ Team, Ruining Family Gatherings for Over 20 Years.

DAMN IT ANDY!!
yelonutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2009, 11:08 AM   #8
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
When I was cooking for NASCAR I would ship the meat out to the races all the time...

The best way that I found was to cook, slice (optional), cryo-suck, and then freeze for at least 2 days (I keep my freezer at -20* just for this reason). At this point I also cryo-suck (just to draw out some of the air and double seal both ends ) a couple of bags of ice cubes and put them in the deep freezer.

When I'm ready to ship, I either use a cooler box (http://www.uline.com/Product/Product...x?model=S-9903) or if I can find a box/cooler combo that would work, I go with that (just remember to pack any open space between the box and cooler with crumpled news paper). Pack the cooler with both the meat and Ice cube bags and then fill any voids with more crumpled news paper.

I've found that I can ship it 2nd-day with out any real thawing.
What price range for that shipping

Proud member of Brethren Weber's for life

(Rescued 7 kettles in 2007, 1 in 2008, 2 in 2009 and 1 in 2010 Three of which I have and 8 that have gone to Brethren. PM me to get on the waiting list)

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle (Yet to be named by Daughter) Evil Twin Suggested!
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"
http://ashsmoderndayclubhouse.blogspot.com/
Ashmont is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2009, 11:10 AM   #9
BurntFinger_Jason
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelonutz View Post
Check with one of your local Dr's Office. They get samples sent to them in very thick styrofoam boxes on a regular basis.
Yikes! Not sure I'd want to put food into boxes that were previously used to ship bodily fluids.
BurntFinger_Jason is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2009, 11:52 AM   #10
yelonutz
is one Smokin' Farker

Medicine samples ya knucklehead!

NUTZ
Medium Green Egg
Mini Green Egg
New Black stoker with built in wi-fi
KCBS CBJ #20258
Drunk Uncles BBQ Team, Ruining Family Gatherings for Over 20 Years.

DAMN IT ANDY!!
yelonutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2009, 02:20 PM   #11
garyk1398
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Gary

There's plenty of Brethren from the state of PA. I suggest Larry's method. That way you know it'll be done right and won't have to worry about how to ship.

Gary, KCBS -CBJ
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=red]Certified Nebraska MOINK Baller, [/COLOR][COLOR=darkred]KCBS - CBJ[/COLOR][/FONT]
Semper Fi, when in doubt empty the magazine :rip:
garyk1398 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2009, 07:24 PM   #12
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks a lot guys! I really appreciate the input. I found out today that he is going to be coming back here at least one more time. When I spoke with him today about something else, he told me the plan and then I let the cat out of the bag and told him what I was planning. He thought that sounded great! We decided that I'll cook up some pulled pork, freeze it and then he can take in on a small cooler on the plane back home.

Thanks again for the info guys. I knew you'd all come through. Thanks.
Previous: BWS Competitor (sold 2012), WSM - 18.5" (2009, sold 2011), WSM - 18.5" (2004, sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen, Yellow MK4, Fireboard, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote