First cook on the UDS - any advice?

Salmon is vegetarian? I was always under the impression vegetarian meant no animal flesh (including fish) but I guess everyone draws their line in the sand at a different point?

We are about as far away from vegetarian as you can get at our house, but we like some good grilled veggies. Cut up some zucchini, broccoli, carrots, onions, and whatever else you like, toss them in a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper and grill them up. We like them as a side dish, but one of our friends doesn't eat a lot of meat and she does a big helping of it in lieu of meat sometimes.

I think technically he is a pescatarian? Like you said...different people have different 'lines'. Whatever helps you sleep at night...for me...that happens to be a belly full of brisket. :)

Yep this is my Supper accurate/ Extremely fast Solar Powered COW POKER
DSCF0066Modified2.jpg

That's AWL you use?

Thank you, I will be here all week...try the veal.

Something I haven't seen mentioned here, let the cooker settle in where it wants to. Most UDSs have a sweet spot they like to run at. Mine loves 275-300.

There are other forums where many long time members (and board owners) think cooking higher than 235 is sacrilege. Well they are welcome to their 14-20 hour cooks, but they are sadly mistaken when it comes to quality of result. Many people here cook fantastic meat using temps higher than 275, and they get to sleep at night.

Just have your vegetarian friends bring the beer

Kim Chi cole slaw, baked potatoes stuffed with steamed veggies and green chile.
Regardless if he eats meat or not, if the man is beer master brewer keep him as a close friend. That is positive attribute. Beer is good.

Looks like I have one minor glitch...somehow the box that held the thermometers I had has gone missing. Can I use a regular meat thermometer in a pinch? I have one of those igrill thingys.

The event went really well this weekend. I finished up the smoker on Friday and even though I didn't have the thermometers, I did have an igrill with a couple temp probes that did the job. The other thing I was missing was butcher paper. My wife picked up something that she said was the same thing, but I think Butcher paper is closer to parchment than the packing paper that she bought.

558839_10152425108682524_392996245_n.jpg

Smoked the fatty the night before:
921177_10152425413162524_354438498_o.jpg

Then stashed it in the fridge until Sunday morning.

Cooked up the 2 briskets using the recipe above (Thank you!). Had an issue during the wrapping process. I used adjustable shelves inside and the clips were too small/too flimsy. A few fell off when I tried to put everything back together. I found some bigger clips in the basement, and that did the trick...or at least will next time.

I noticed from time to time I would get a temp spike, I would back off the air and then lose too much. I am not thinking those spikes are when the mesquite starts to burn?

I overshot the temp on this one a bit thinking it was going to take longer than it actually did after the initial check at 5 hours.

1149301_10152427473662524_14833225_o.jpg

The flavor was excellent, but a bit dry. The second brisket which seemed to have a higher fat content came out moister, but a bit less flavorful. For a first cook, I consider it a success to come out with 2 - 12 pound brisket that had everyone paying high compliments to...even if they did say 'it goes great with the Rudy's BBQ sauce'...ouch :)

After the giant sleepover (it was my sons 7th birthday party and he wanted to go camping, so we set up the backyard as a 'camp ground' for about 40 people) I threw the fatty in the oven, crisped up the bacon, and served. Grown men were crying when they could not have thirds :)

A 5 hour smoke and still this left in the firebox?

536744_10152430193297524_1221794277_n.jpg

I am sold on the UDS. My only other question...

Do you scoop out the fat on the bottom of the smoker, or call that seasoning?

Thank you guys again for your help! I truly appreciate it.

I am sold on the UDS. My only other question...

Thank you guys again for your help! I truly appreciate it.[/QUOTE] Nope i want to keep the bottom clean it's more sanitary and it'll last longer.

If you can get a spare drum lid then cut the outside rim off it...i used a skill saw with a metal blade. After you cut it off then take some big pliers or channel locks and bend up the edges all the way around to from a pan out of it. This will be about a 19 inch ash pan/ dripping pan for you. It sits
freely on the bottom and catches everything.

I drilled a hole in the middle and attached a U bolt so i can grab it with my hand or a hook...easier with your hand but either way.

I scoop it out, after shaking some of the loose ash in there to "firm it up".

btw. I am sure most of you know this...but varying up the types of pepper (red, yellow, black) makes for some excellent flavors.

Back