MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

Default Prime Brisket

Bought a prime brisket about 3 weeks ago and had it aging in the bottom of the fridge. It was a packer just under 10lbs. My local meat market had them on sale for $2.49/lb.

Cooked it up yesterday using moderate hot and fast. Temps on the UDS ranged from 275 to 325 during the cook and for the most part were at 275. It took about 5 hours to cook and I used apple and cherry chips(I was also doing a butt).

One of the best briskets I have done, the flat was moist and pulled apart easily, the point basically shredded. Definitely would spend the extra $7-10 to get that good of quality.

It actually turned out better than the Akaushi(Texas raised Japanese beef) brisket I tried about 2 months ago but that was more because I was afraid to overcook a $7/lb brisket and undercooked it.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh1204 View Post
Definitely would spend the extra $7-10 to get that good of quality.
Prime briskets usually cost more than $2.50/lb. You got a deal.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Hey Jg, have you ever been down to Bolner's. I was there the other day and they had some prime briskets for 2.49 I believe. It might be their everyday price. I'll find out when I go get one myself this Friday.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2010, 10:26 PM   #4
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

That is were I bought it. I work about 3 miles from there.

Have you ever had their Akaushi Cowboy ribeyes? About $21/lb but damn they are good.

Also, I was talking with the meat market manager and he was going to get in the Akaushi finger ribs for $2.99/lb. I want to try those.

While you are there, pick up a bottle of the BBQ Shrimp seasoning. BBQ shrimp is seasoned shrimp baked in the oven. Have no idea why they call it bbq but serve that over some rice and man it is good.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:15 PM   #5
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
Hey Jg, have you ever been down to Bolner's. I was there the other day and they had some prime briskets for 2.49 I believe. It might be their everyday price. I'll find out when I go get one myself this Friday.
Did you get by there today?

Old 08-14-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Just got back from there. They were all out of prime briskets. There's 2 competitions in the area today, one in La Vernia and the other at the Freeman Coliseum. The counter guy said all the competitors bought up all the prime.. ARGHH!! But I got an angus choice for 2.49 lb. Never smoked an angus brisket before so we'll see how it goes. Haven't tried any of their Akaushi products yet.. Prices usually scare me away! But that's a good price for their Akaushi ribs.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

I went yesterday & they were sold out again. Picked up a nice choiced Angus brisket. I also got a case of prime Akaushi finger ribs..
2.09/lb. 6 racks. Cooked up three today. Good stuff. They have them in stock sometimes but better to order a case. They will split a case if you ask.
jgh1204 is offline   Reply With Quote