Shipping BBQ question

CharcoalCowboy

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
I lost a bet with a buddy on the K-State vs. Syracuse game and I have to pay him off in BBQ. While I have lots of experience in losing bets :doh: I have never shipped any BBQ across the country and I don't know the best way to do it. I was planning on packaging pulled pork in gallon ziploc bags and then freezing it before shipping. I know where I can get dry ice but don't have a source for those thick foam coolers that are typically used for shipping meat. Anyone have any suggestions or experience with this and have some tips to share? I want to get him paid off so he will stop gloating over his victory.

As long as you use next day air you could probably get by without the styrofoam box.

I don't know if I would chance not having it on dry ice.

I would try meat packing plants in your area. Possibly even a Wal Mart or grocery store would receive meat and parishables in the same way, and they might have some that they normally get rid of. Maybe check in the seafood departments, I see them bringing out fish and seafood that was flash frozen and packaged in those type containers.

If all else fails, make your own out by cutting, lining and duck taping a few 3 dollar styrofoam coolers.

Probably not the best advice in the world, but that's what I would do.

I lost a bet with a buddy on the K-State vs. Syracuse game and I have to pay him off in BBQ. While I have lots of experience in losing bets :doh: I have never shipped any BBQ across the country and I don't know the best way to do it. I was planning on packaging pulled pork in gallon ziploc bags and then freezing it before shipping. I know where I can get dry ice but don't have a source for those thick foam coolers that are typically used for shipping meat. Anyone have any suggestions or experience with this and have some tips to share? I want to get him paid off so he will stop gloating over his victory.

I shipped some frozen fish while back. I just went to my local "mail it" shop that is a rep for UPS. they sold me a nice styrofoam box for cheap..like $2.75. a box that it fit in was another 4 bucks or so. no need for dry ice this time of year. maybe an ice pack and you'r good to go

Back