• Hot & Fast

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • I like free brisket that someone else has cooked

Votes: 13 10.7%

• Total voters

Texana

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Just a simple poll to see if there is a majority one way or the other.

Nothing more nothing less ... this is not meant to be a trick question or stir up crap about who is wrong or right ...

What is your preference?

Of course the 3rd question is for those that cant decide :)

I voted low & slow but some might say I cook my butts too fast. I dont mind if the temp gets up to 250-275 and I foil as soon as internal hits 160-165.

Its still the best Q Ive ever had.

Hot and Fast here. Took 3 hrs and 40 min. to cook our 13+ pounder at the Royal - finished 32nd out of 470+ teams. Not bad for us.

Depends on the cooker and the meat for me.

Burning sticks or charcoal/chunks, Butts, Briskets, Chuck Roasts, etc are hot (300+)
Ribs, Chicken, etc are low (250ish).

On the FEC--everthing around 250ish except Jerky and Bacon at 160ish.

It all works wonderful.

TIM

I start low, creeping the temp up during the cook and finish about 275°. I have learned a bunch about hot-n-fast cooking right here and have tried it maybe 10 times with good results. HNF is easier for me in the Egg than the BDS (for the time being).

I do as long of a rest as I can...... What kind of rest do you hot-n-fast folks like the best?

I'm low and slow, but I'd like to try the hot and fast.

Low and slow seems to be the best for me.

Will be doing a few this weeked.

Low and Slow for me. But I say that without ever trying Hot and Fast. I will try it in the future, I just have not yet.

Hot and Fast for me. I am an Ol' Man and I may not have 12-15 hours. Besides, I get drunk in about 4-5 hours, so when I smoke for 12, I end up letting to fire go out and pass out in the Harley Shop.
Bsides that, I get better results doing Butts and Briskets in 5 hours. Better BBQ in my opinion. But I don't know Jack Didley about anything!!!!!
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Smoke on!!!!!

About 7 hrs for me. I cant do the 20 hr cooks anymore with this diabetes. The meds make me sleep like a rock.
I started 4 butts this morning and the top one is at 193.5 and climbing. They were put on at 9 this morning. I love my Spicewine:icon_blush:

I think I'm somewhere in between. Usually around 275 does nicely, and I foil somewhere in the plateau. If the temps get a little high, no problem. If they get too low, dinners gonna be late!

Does this put me in the HnF group?

JimT

I've had good results (and bad results) doing HnF or LnS. So far I get more good briskets with the Low 'n' Slow method, but that's mainly with the BSKD. I've only done one packer in the WSM & that was LnS, maybe I'll try the next one in the WSM Hot 'n' Fast.
Dave

Depends on what I'm cooking for. At comps I tend to cook like I was taught 200 or so. At home I cook in the 250-275 range because I like the way the burnt ends turn out at higher temps. Seems to hold more of the fat under the crust.

I generally cook just under 250 more often than not. I'mn more particluar at contests than at home. A lot easier to maintain even temps when using a Spicebox and guru these days !!!

Several Brethren seemed to really enjoy Dr. BBQ's 14 lb. demo brisket I unintentionally "cooked" in 4 hours on my second cook on the Spicebox at some unknown temp !!!

I haven't taken on the task of the brisket as of yet. But,I'll gladly help dispose of any that is offered:-D

Back