MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #1
rossn
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Vision Kamado - Stable temps, then rise

I've had the Costco Vision Grills Kamado (classic) for a while and have cooked a few briskets on it. I'm still having issues getting temperatures dialed in. For instance, this morning I lit a big bowl of lump coal from the center with a torch, brought it to 250 for a while (took maybe 30 mins, and steady for another 15). Added the brisket, and it held steady at 250 for at least an hour... no peeking. Then, the temperature shot up to close to 300 and beyond.

Is this an issue of the lump coal (been trying different ones... this one is royal oak), an air leak (but if that's the case, why did it hold steady for so long), or something else?

Thanks for your insight!!
rossn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2014, 06:23 PM   #2
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Don't know that cooker but it's normal as the fire heats up and spreads the vents will need adjusted.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2014, 06:37 PM   #3
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

Probably more to do with how the lump is situated and the uniformity of the size. Assuming that the air flow was the same, at some point there was more fuel able to burn after a while. Imagine if you did a snake method that eventually burns into a large pile. I find that lump sizes vary so much it is a little more unpredictable from cook to cook. However I do like they way it burns better than KBB and a lot less ash. I will watch my Kamado a little closer when using lump.

Edit: This is an issue for trying to maintain lower temps, and 250 is considered lower to me.
Built in Bull BBQ Gasser
Mini WSM
22.5" Weber OTS
22.5" OTG Blue
22.5 OTG
Anova Sous Vide
Q Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2014, 06:55 PM   #4
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossn View Post
I've had the Costco Vision Grills Kamado (classic) for a while and have cooked a few briskets on it. I'm still having issues getting temperatures dialed in. For instance, this morning I lit a big bowl of lump coal from the center with a torch, brought it to 250 for a while (took maybe 30 mins, and steady for another 15). Added the brisket, and it held steady at 250 for at least an hour... no peeking. Then, the temperature shot up to close to 300 and beyond.

Is this an issue of the lump coal (been trying different ones... this one is royal oak), an air leak (but if that's the case, why did it hold steady for so long), or something else?

Thanks for your insight!!
If there's no air leaks, I'm guessing it has to do with your vents - how were they adjusted when you lit the coals, and any adjustment afterwards?
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2014, 07:09 PM   #5
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Royal oak lump is some of the most uniform compared to other brands so I don't think your fuel is the issue. Even burning other brands like Cowboy which tends to have everything from quarter size to huge pieces, I never had an issue holding temps steady for hours.

I'm also curious on the vents adjustments like Moose said.

PS I have the Vision PRO with the pullout ashtray which is even more prone to leaks and again no issues holding temp while dialed in. I ran from as low as 175* to ??? with no issues.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2014, 07:44 PM   #6
rossn
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks for your quick responses. When I lit it, I had the bottom maybe 1/3-1/2 of the way open, and the top 2/3 open? After it started warming up (maybe 180-210), I started to choke it down, and it settled in for an hour or more at 250.

Take this very moment... was 90% closed top and bottom, the temps were creeping up to 280. I opened the grill to check temp and foil the brisket... maybe 1-2 mins in total. Now it's up to 316 and I have it closed down 95% on top and bottom... not coming down yet.
rossn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2014, 07:56 PM   #7
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

When your coals are all lit and fully involved, opening the cooker will allow a flush of oxygen and will allow temps to spike and require choking down the air flow until you get the temps back down. It takes a long time for temps to come down in a Kamado type cooker. Kamados hold temp and moisture very well and very steady if they are not opened. Once they get opened for any period of time they have to equalize again. I'm probably not describing this well.
Built in Bull BBQ Gasser
Mini WSM
22.5" Weber OTS
22.5" OTG Blue
22.5 OTG
Anova Sous Vide
Q Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2014, 08:38 PM   #8
allancoh
On the road to being a farker

I've got the same smoker and had trouble my first cook. i realized the rubber molding around my bottom vent wasn't positioned right. i loosened it, put it in place and then retightened.

are you putting wood chunks in with the coal? i noticed during my first couple runs that if i left all the pieces on top instead of burying a couple that i would have the same problem as you.

how i light now: fill the bowl and bury a couple wood chunks and leave 1 or 2 on top. i light in 2 places with a torch and leave both vents all the way open. once i get around 75 degrees from where i want to be i drop both vents to abut 90% and let it go up from there. i might even wrap one of the chunks of wood in tinfoil before i bury it.

this site had a lot of help for fire management in the vision, check it out.
http://www.kamadoguru.com/forum/32-vision-kamado/

Thanks from:--->