MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-06-2006, 11:59 AM   #16
The Woodman
Full Fledged Farker

One clarification.....Oak is NOT considered a "mild" wood. A combination of oak and pecan will work, but both are actually very similar in my opinion. Great on brisket! IMHO, the only real "mild" woods are maple and fruitwoods. Hickory, oak, pecan, and mesquite are the "strong" end of the spectrum.
As for bark, as long as it is dry, it makes no difference. I am in agreement with everyone else. If it falls off, throw it out. If not, don't sweat it
Rickenbacker 4004 Cii -Rickenbacker 4003-09
Rickenbacker 4001 - RIckenbacker 4001c64
Rickenbacker Fretless 4003-08- Fender P-Bass
Warwick Fretless Corvette-Gibson EB-3
[URL="http://www.woodmansbbq.com"]www.woodmansbbq.com[/URL]
The Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->

Old 04-06-2006, 12:07 PM   #17
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

10 lb? I've seen bags that are closer to 40-50 lbs. You usually have several choices. Oak, hickory, pecan, and mesquite. Mix and match and let the experiments begin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnamerca
I *know* that this topic has been discussed here. I promise that I searched the forums before I ask this - I found some peripheral discussions, but nothing directly on point. So here I ask again.

I'm attempting to move from charcoal to real wood for the fuel in my smoker. Academy is selling 10-lb bags of wood for a pretty decent price. However, most of the pieces have most of the bark left on them. I've heard that bark produces a "bitter' taste in 'Q, but other threads on here have minimized the input on bark on the overall flavor. The goal is to burn a mild wood, like oak, for heat, and use another wood for flavor - the current fav is Pecan, but I also really want to try apple.

So, can someone educate me on the effects of bark on heat, fire, and flavor?

Side question - I used aluminum bands to strengthen my firegrate. Any worries with aluminum?

Thx.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2010, 09:36 PM   #18
cptorrez
Got rid of the matchlight.

i doubt anyone knows but it there a place to get good wood in socal?
cptorrez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2010, 09:44 PM   #19
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptorrez View Post
i doubt anyone knows but it there a place to get good wood in socal?

In my honest opinion your best bet is to either A. Go and check out your local Academy.
Option B is to browse through your local Craigslist, and find a reputable seller of wood.
Down in the Houston area of Texas there's about six guys total I can get pecan/oak/mesquite from quite easily, and for dirt cheap.

As far as the bark goes, I also agree, if it's loose rip it off, for the most part I always pre heat my logs on the firebox, if they start to ignite and I don't need them I pat out the flames then toss em ontop of the cooking chamber, I've always found it gets rid of most of the "nasties" from the wood in this way, by the time it's in there it starts off "true blue."
JazzyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2010, 10:24 PM   #20
SmokeJumper
is One Chatty Farker

Like Neal said, I never remove bark from fruitwoods I use apple, (peach, cherry, apricot, pear) as the skin is thin and it is impossible to remove. I will remove bark from hardwoods if it is easy but I'm not religious about it. Slightly off topic, I just busted open some "hickory" chunks from home depot and it was as light as dry fir and when I threw it on the fire it was definitely not hickory. I have three cords of pecan and plenty of fruitwood but I need some good hickory!
SmokeJumper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2010, 11:33 AM   #21
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

stick burner here,I have come to the conclusion there not much different in any hardwood, I think it all in our head. Keeping a good fuel /oxygen ratio is the main thing. The main thing if it free it good.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2011, 09:08 PM   #22
go00nascar
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

in May i use Green White Oak with bark on.If i can use before bark starts to drys out . after bark starts to dry i think it causes soot.
go00nascar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2011, 11:48 PM   #23
Schraufy
Knows what a fatty is.

Leave the bark unless it falls off. It causes no harm.
Schraufy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2011, 02:38 AM   #24
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

I mainly use Apple, Pecan, and Red Oak, never remove the bark if it falls off I don't make an effort to add it either. So pretty much inline with everyone else. :)

pwa
pwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2011, 08:22 AM   #25
stephan
is one Smokin' Farker

Unless its moldy or rotted leave it on makes no difference
stephan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2011, 10:38 AM   #26
razrbakcrzy
is one Smokin' Farker

I always start with a bed of at least 2-5 lbs of royal oak lump. add about 1 lb of lit coals to the coal bed, then I burn 12-18" lengths, not more that 6" round, not split, bark on pecan, oak and hickory... never bitter, good smoke ring and taste...
[FONT=Arial][B]Future Smoker [/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]$5438.25 Total BYC Smoker!![/FONT]

[SIZE=2]Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985 [/SIZE]
razrbakcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2011, 10:51 AM   #27
Randbo
is one Smokin' Farker

Ok guys you will love this. I am on the Southern Oregon coast. Seven miles north of the California border. Smoked salmon is very popular here. I live next to a retired commercial fisherman. He took me down to the local fish processor who smokes salmon by the cart full. She used alderwood for smoke. It is her opinion that the bark of alderwood is bitter and should not be used. Several other old timers around here told me not to use the bark on alder. So I have always removed the bark. I hate to try it with the bark on and ruin something that would otherwise be good. So I keep removing the bark. So call me barkless in Brookings!

Old 12-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #28
wyocurt
On the road to being a farker

I think apple and fruit woods really give thing a light good smoke and Really like White and Red Oak . Hickory is the best for keeping a hot fire. To each his own.
FEC 100
wsm 22.5
RMBBQA Member
CBBQA
cbj #63452:-P
wyocurt is offline   Reply With Quote