MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-12-2018, 12:19 PM   #1
Hayduke
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Rusty
Default Comp/Catering trailer

I am looking to get into pro competitions and I would like to have a trailer that I can run a food trailer/catering BBQ business out of.

My concerns are: should I get a trailer with a bed or get a small trailer with an RV. I hope to enter 5+ pro events a year.

Any recommendations?

I would like to see your set up.
Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2018, 02:22 PM   #2
ynotfehc
Full Fledged Farker

If you want to do the food trailer/catering, I would start with local health department and see what they will allow.
ynotfehc is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 09-12-2018, 06:53 PM   #3
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Which is your priority........competitions or food trailer/catering?

And ynotfehc asked the real first question you need to answer.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:30 PM   #4
pharp
Banned

We have a truck that we use for competitions. When we built we did everything to be up our local health department requirements. Our primary function is competitions but wanted have our food permit if the opportunity arose. We left space for cots for when we are competing but we definitely did not have them in there when we had our inspection.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2018, 10:42 AM   #5
Hayduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason TQ View Post
Which is your priority........competitions or food trailer/catering?

And ynotfehc asked the real first question you need to answer.

My priority is food truck and catering.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:43 AM   #6
Hayduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharp View Post
We have a truck that we use for competitions. When we built we did everything to be up our local health department requirements. Our primary function is competitions but wanted have our food permit if the opportunity arose. We left space for cots for when we are competing but we definitely did not have them in there when we had our inspection.

The cot idea is brilliant.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:20 AM   #7
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

In some states, the requirements for prepping in a trailer can be pretty steep, so people end up building or renting a commercial kitchen for prep. For example locally you need to have 5 sinks - wash, rinse, sanitize, hand wash, and a mop sink, and they have to have an air gap in the drain.

Generally the requirements for holding and selling food are easier marks to hit vs. doing a prep from raw in the trailer.

If you are competing, the RV/Trailer route may be more comfortable, but if your focus is on vending you will may be better off with a larger 5th wheel style trailer. A separate area with bunks and a bathroom is a nice luxury to have. (and no...that doesn't count as a sink for vending purposes)
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote