Prime Rib advice

SirPorkaLot

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
John
Would like to cook it on wednesday, cool it, and reheat in oven on Christmas day.
7lber - choice

What is the best way to do this?

Would like to cook it on wednesday, cool it, and reheat in oven on Christmas day.
7lber - choice

What is the best way to do this?

I wouldn't even consider this an option. Some things taste better the next day, like lasagna, but prime rib always tastes best without the reheat. Cook it Christmas day. That's when I'm doing mine.

I've reheated prime rib, never again. Had 2 12# that were ruined a few years back.

The temp window with prime is only about 30 degrees difference between great and shoe leather. If you try to pre-cook to an internal of about 115-120, by the time you reheat to a 130-135 internal temp, the majority of it is overcooked.

The other drawback is that you can't cool it fast enough. Even if you took it from oven to freezer (not advisable), you're still going to see the internal temp climb 5-8, and you're going to lose a lot of the juice.

The only way to effectively reheat PR is to cook it very rare (125 max), and then heat individual slices in the au jus.

Cook it Friday. A 7# prime should only take about 2 1/2 -3 hours.

Chris

Don't do it! Cook it on Friday. The only thing re-heated rib roast is good for is sandwiches.

Traveling 5 hours away from my cookers...
I was hoping to cook it to like 115-120, and putting it in a alum pan sitting in ice water to cool it down rapidly.
Store and reheat it somehow.
So no one had done this successfully?

Hmmm ... How about ... Borrow/Rent a trailer and take smoker with you.

Traveling 5 hours away from my cookers...
I was hoping to cook it to like 115-120, and putting it in a alum pan sitting in ice water to cool it down rapidly.
Store and reheat it somehow.
So no one had done this successfully?

Have it all seasoned and ready to cook when you get there.
Then just use the oven...or use their gas grill ( if they have one)
Take your thermometer with the temp probe.

Don't try to be too fancy away from home...cook it at 350° ...or as close
to it as you can get ( on a grill ) cook it to 125° internal. It should take
somewhere close to 2 hours...depending on actual cooking temp.

Go ahead and cheat and make some Au Jus with about 5 packs of mix.
I like the Au Jus a tiny bit thick so it clings to the meat...but; you can
easily see the meat through it...to thicken it up a little; just ad some
"mashed potato flakes" and it will thicken up instantly. If you use flour
it will take a while for it to thicken...and unlike flour; it will stay the same
thickness for quite a while.

Its your roast. Do as you wish but the majority, including myself say your throwing away money reheating a prime.

I also agree. Plus, it takes almost as much time to reheat it as it takes to cook it. If you take it pre-seasoned and ready to go, and let it come to room temp during that last 30 minutes of your drive, have the host folks pre-heat the oven to 425F, when you get there, shove the roast in, let it run at 425F for an hour, drop it to 350F until done. If you absolutley cannot swing the time, I would consider halving it, into two smaller roasts before I would pre-cook it.

If you're traveling 5 hours away and don't have access to a bbq grill then have someone else make the roast, you can bring potato salad!

I say bring your kettle with you and cook it there. You're not saving much time between cooking and reheating but you're taking a much bigger gamble by reheating. Good luck!

Thanks for the tips. I will just make it for myself then , and make sammiches out of the leftovers :mrgreen:

Buckin, a real piece of prime beef should have the stamp from the USDA. Just make the butcher show you the stamp on the meat. For me, a rib roast is best with salt, pepper and an herb mix (like Todd's Dirt) liberally applied, then I add onions and celery between the roast and the rack.

Reheated prime rib is good......

.............for philly cheese steaks.

bring a kettle or WSM with you.. Im cooking on christmas day also and hour from my cookerss.. doing Prime rib and tenderloin.. WSM in tow(Swamp pit get it back here!)..

Well I agree that a piece of prime is best eaten fresh from the cooker within 20 minutes. But I strongly disagree that it is ruined if it's not eaten with the blood still running. I have reheated prime, although it no longer had that nice red rare look. It wasn't like eating shoe leather and actually was quite good. I take beef broth to it's boiling point and drop a piece of prime in for less than a minute to reheat. Has always remained tender and flavorful. I have cooked a couple primes since I have joined this site and with the exception of the one I ruined for the wife. Put in a gravy of sorts(not advisable). They all were great even the next day. I got a 17 # choice, going to cut a couple of steaks off for today and do the roast for Christmas. A true Prime grading is hard to find around here, but with the proper time and temp. investment choice is good also.

Back