Need Advice: Prime Rib Roast

Outnumbered

is One Chatty Farker
So I scrapped my plans to have ham on Christmas. Last night I walked across the backyard with my Scotch in hand to visit the neighbor. He works for a meat packer and went to the fridge to hand me my Christmas present...a Prime rib roast!

Now after Santa's presents are opened on Sunday, I'm going to fire up the UDS and smoke that awesome piece of meat. Never done a prime rib on a smoker, so I'm looking for suggestions. My folks and I like the medium rare variety, but my wife is more a medium lover. The kids will have to take whatever I give them. :-D (actually, they pretty much like whatever I give them, but would probably like to be more medium.)

Any suggestions on cooking temp, timing, rubs, etc? I'm open to any advice.

Thanks in advance.

I would rub it with a little olive oil, sprinkle on some kosher salt, fresh cracked coarse black pepper, and some finely chopped rosemary. Then I would put in a 300 degree UDS until the internal temp hit 130-135. Let it rest for about 30 minutes before slicing.

So I scrapped my plans to have ham on Christmas. Last night I walked across the backyard with my Scotch in hand to visit the neighbor. He works for a meat packer and went to the fridge to hand me my Christmas present...a Prime rib roast!

Now after Santa's presents are opened on Sunday, I'm going to fire up the UDS and smoke that awesome piece of meat. Never done a prime rib on a smoker, so I'm looking for suggestions. My folks and I like the medium rare variety, but my wife is more a medium lover. The kids will have to take whatever I give them. :-D (actually, they pretty much like whatever I give them, but would probably like to be more medium.)

Any suggestions on cooking temp, timing, rubs, etc? I'm open to any advice.

Thanks in advance.

If you want some medium and some medium rare, there are several options. First, rub it down good with sea salt and black pepper. A little garlic is acceptable too.

If you cook it at a temp of 325 to 350 until the center is 128F internal, remove it from the cooker and let it rest for about 20 - 30 minutes. WHen you cut it, the center should be medium rare and the parts closer to the ends should be closer to medium.

Or, cook it at about 300F until you get 125ish F internal in the center, remove from cooker, let it rest 20-30 minutes, and then slice it. It should all be about medium rare. Use some hot au jus to bring some slices up to medium.

Good luck.

Back