• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Food Photography Tips?

How would you like to get food photography tips?

• Text and lots of photos

Votes: 27 62.8%
  • Video podcast, with recurring podcasts

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Slideshow with audio

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Video showing set up, etc.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters

cmcadams

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I'm working with a photographer to get some tips for food photography... And I was wondering, if you're interested in taking better food photographs, how you'd like to get the info...

Ask if he can help the "point and shoot" people! You know the ones that use the "A" mod.?:icon_blush:

Keale, it's a she, but she can help with that, too... I use a P&S right now, though I hope to upgrade... There are other settings than 'Auto', but the way. :)

I know a lot of what we've talked about so far is helping set up better lighting and composition more than just saying to buy a good camera... that's not going to help if I don't know how to take a picture at all.

I've got a decent camera. Even though it's a digital I can still operate it like a 35mm, with exposure etc, but it's almost too much for me to comprehend when I pick up the manual.

Here's an early photo from my blog, then a newer one, after some tips.

prserved.JPG

1316376006_8253ea2d92.jpg

Ask if he can help the "point and shoot" people! You know the ones that use the "A" mod.?:icon_blush:

What's the "A" mod? Is it that thing on my point and shoot that says "Auto"? If it is...that's me! :mrgreen: Aloha!

JD

i want her to come over to my house and show me!
so, other
:biggrin:

Rick, 'tain't happenin'! She's not local. :)

JD, the 'A' mode on my P&S is for aperture priority, which I actually use a lot.

I want Rick to come to my house! That boy puts out some good looking grub and some great pics! But if that's not an option - text and lots o pics.
Curt - that pic of the ribs is NICE....

Last edited:
I voted for text and photo's. It may be easier to show an initial picture, then several others with different settings along with the do's and don'ts or why's and why not's. This format would allow us to download some of the examples easily if we wanted to.

It may go both ways too, we could post a picture and get comments on how to improve it.

Keale, it's a she, but she can help with that, too... I use a P&S right now, though I hope to upgrade... There are other settings than 'Auto', but the way. :)

I know a lot of what we've talked about so far is helping set up better lighting and composition more than just saying to buy a good camera... that's not going to help if I don't know how to take a picture at all.

LOL!! Yeah I know, I use to take pics w/ a 35mm, but like Joe...I go to read the digital manual, and I get dizzy! BTW, thats a good upgraded photo you have! Made me hungry!:p

I think we should get Rick to teach us for free, since we have to put up with all his pictures!!:twisted:

quote]

does she have a webcam?
homer_popup.gif

This is in Q-Talk, NOT Woodpile! :)

LM & Keale, thanks... The second was after a lot of help figuring out how to take the shot, though I still have a long way to go.

Thirdeye... Maybe we can get the admins to start a new section for photo critiques!

JD, the 'A' mode on my P&S is for aperture priority, which I actually use a lot.

Ok...time to be serious. I have an "AV" and an "Auto"...no "A". However, I have it on good authority that Santa will be bringing me a new Canon G-9...It may have an "A".:biggrin:

JD

JD, I don't know what brand you have, so I don't know what AV is... but others may... I'm new to this stuff, too.

I thought about a camera like that... I have a Fuji s5000 now... but I've decided to go the dslr route, so I can use lenses that I want, which I'm beginning to think is the best way to get different results, along with the manual controls on a dslr. The woman that's going to be helping me recommended what I'd already come up with, a 50mm prime lens, as a starter.

You might wanna ping Thawley on this conversation. He's a photography instructor.

Here's a few of my own tips (in text, no photos)

Invest in a tripod. Keeping your camera steady will improve your photos guaranteed. Especially true for indoor still life type photos. Doesn't need to buy an expensive one, either, but it should be stable enough for the size / weight of your camera.

Light your subject as well as you can. If that means turning on room lights, opening drapes for indoor shots, do that. If you're outdoors, sometimes you have the opposite problem and you have too much harsh sunlight creating harsh shadows. Sometimes, shooting outdoors means taking your subject out of direct sunlight.

Learn how to use your flash modes. It's usually AUTO mode, and the camera will decide when the flash goes off. For indoor shots, that's often not wanted, so force the flash OFF. For outdoor shots in harsh sunlight, you want to use "fill flash" to soften the harsh shadows on your subject, so force flash to the ON mode.

Learn about white balance. Shooting under fluorescent light gives your photos a greenish blue tint. Shooting under halogen light gives it an orange tone. Your camera has settings to compensate for these light conditions so your whites show up white, not blue or orange. Even basic digicams have some sort of white balance feature, and it's well worth using.

You might wanna ping Thawley on this conversation. He's a photography instructor.

Here's a few of my own tips (in text, no photos)

Invest in a tripod. Keeping your camera steady will improve your photos guaranteed. Especially true for indoor still life type photos. Doesn't need to buy an expensive one, either, but it should be stable enough for the size / weight of your camera.

Light your subject as well as you can. If that means turning on room lights, opening drapes for indoor shots, do that. If you're outdoors, sometimes you have the opposite problem and you have too much harsh sunlight creating harsh shadows. Sometimes, shooting outdoors means taking your subject out of direct sunlight.

Learn how to use your flash modes. It's usually AUTO mode, and the camera will decide when the flash goes off. For indoor shots, that's often not wanted, so force the flash OFF. For outdoor shots in harsh sunlight, you want to use "fill flash" to soften the harsh shadows on your subject, so force flash to the ON mode.

Learn about white balance. Shooting under fluorescent light gives your photos a greenish blue tint. Shooting under halogen light gives it an orange tone. Your camera has settings to compensate for these light conditions so your whites show up white, not blue or orange. Even basic digicams have some sort of white balance feature, and it's well worth using.

you forgot "that'll be $50.00"!

it's all true... this shot was with the cheapo tripod, with timer, natural daylight & spotlight on the building, 1/13th second shutter and f 4.8. no way you could hold a 1/13 second exposure steady.

oh... and auto setting on the dial (or the flower, can't remember :biggrin: )

chipotleprocspizza-011.jpg

Back