MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-20-2019, 02:31 PM   #1
raycollazo
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Griddles, which one and what are you doing with them

I've been eye balling the Blackstone griddles, they seem to be all over now and I feel it could be a good addition. I'm a fan of quality, and have heard mixed reviews on the Blackstones. Are there higher quality ones out there, which ones. Also what are some of the things y'all are doing with them?

Appreciate your input.
raycollazo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2019, 02:41 PM   #2
pharp
Banned

I have the 36" SS Blackstone and love it. I do about everything on it. Currently the family favorite is create your own stir fry on the Blackstone.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2019, 02:49 PM   #3
JbTech
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Likely not what you're looking for, but I picked up a griddle for my Camp Chef 2 burner. Allows me enough space for the versatility of the griddle, with the added bonus of breakfast for 3 as well as canning. Canning was my initial push to buy the 2 burner stove, but the griddle and grill accessories have been utilized more. YMMV.
JbTech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2019, 09:21 AM   #4
EricD
is One Chatty Farker

Love my Blackstone! We cook everything on it.
But....If I were to do it again, I'd get the Blue Rhino one with the drain cut into the top and the fold out shelves/cover.
22" Weber Kettle black, 18" Weber Kettle black,Weber Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Weber Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza Oven, The Big Easy, Anova Immersion Cooker, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotisserie, Infrared temp gun, Maverick ET-732, ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mats
EricD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2019, 09:40 AM   #5
raycollazo
Knows what a fatty is.

This is exactly why I made this thread, I knew there had to be options out there. The Blue Rhino does look like it's worth a look and I never even knew it existed... I like the grease removal but I like the way it folds away!

Old 10-21-2019, 09:46 AM   #6
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

I have the Blue Rhino (Lowes caries them) and love it. I do think that the rear grease channel on the BS is a better design, it wastes no cooking surface, but I went with the Rhino because of the side shelves also serving as a rain proof cover. My unit lives outside completely exposed and that cover really works. Tradeoffs, always tradeoffs...

People here who have the big Camp Chef seem to swear by it also.
bschoen is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-21-2019, 10:46 AM   #7
halfcocked
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : George

Recently bought the Camp Chef for my stainless Camp Chef two burner stove. Only used it a few times but I can tell it's a great addition. Did not want another free standing unit on the patio. The griddle weighs in at some 38 lb.; very heavy duty.
halfcocked is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2019, 11:09 AM   #8
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

I have the 4 burner Blackstone and like it a lot. Today, I would seriously consider the Camp Chef option as I think it is a bit better in terms of construction.

At the time, I got my Blackstone for $250 so the extra for the Camp Chef just wasn't worth it at the time.

In terms of use, it is capable of really large volume production if you need it for large family gatherings or reasonable size parties.

What can you do with it? Anything you can do in a skillet or on a griddle for starters. Breakfast for 50? Sure. Grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch or the little league team? Sure. Bacon Cheese Burgers for the football team? Sure. Let your imagination run wild!

Old 10-21-2019, 11:11 AM   #9
SoCalWJS
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Well, I have the BS 36 SS and have no major complaints. Tough to keep properly seasoned as I live close enough to the Pacific that I get Fog/High Humidity 99% of the time. Rust is a constant challenge.

What have I done with it? Gained weight.....

(Of course, I say that about any new cooking toy/method I get/try )

Old 10-21-2019, 11:20 AM   #10
...Dave
is One Chatty Farker

There are lots of videos on YouTube you can check out. Blackstone even has their own channel with recipes and Technical information. But no matter which griddle you decide to go with just make sure you get a decent set of spatulas and scraper to clean it with when you're done, and don't forget to have some paper towels handy, you'll need them.

Old 10-21-2019, 12:27 PM   #11
raycollazo
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...Dave View Post
There are lots of videos on YouTube you can check out. Blackstone even has their own channel with recipes and Technical information. But no matter which griddle you decide to go with just make sure you get a decent set of spatulas and scraper to clean it with when you're done, and don't forget to have some paper towels handy, you'll need them.
I recently ordered a full set of Spatulas and scrapers, should arrive tomorrow from Amazon... ! Thanks

Old 10-21-2019, 01:09 PM   #12
NC Mike
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

I have a 28 inch Blackstone and love it. Yesterday I cooked breakfast outside. Today was smash burgers for lunch.
I have accumulated a lot of spatulas and other tools because people know I cook on grills and the griddle a lot. Easy idea for birthdays and Christmas but I'm getting overwhelmed. One of my favorite griddle tools is a 4 or 6 inch drywall knife from Harbor Freight. Stainless steel blade and nonslip handle and cheap for a whole set.
NC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2019, 01:09 PM   #13
DRMSMKER
Full Fledged Farker

Any of you tap into your inner Hibachi chef and cook the whole meal on the blackstone?
Can one be used for that type of cooking?
Bonus points for onion volcano and shrimp toss and catch to family members watching.
DRMSMKER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2019, 01:48 PM   #14
raycollazo
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMSMKER View Post
Any of you tap into your inner Hibachi chef and cook the whole meal on the blackstone?
Can one be used for that type of cooking?
Bonus points for onion volcano and shrimp toss and catch to family members watching.
I was thinking the same thing!...i own a few dozen japanese steel knives...(my other obsession is knife sharpening).... but i was thinking of the onion volcano! :-)

Old 10-21-2019, 03:14 PM   #15
HuskerMan
Full Fledged Farker

Blackstone at home and camp chef 60 with griddle top accessory for camping. The camp chef is more versatile for camping in my eyes.
HuskerMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blackstone, griddle