I have fresh salmon coming home

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
:becky:'s dad went up north this weekend to hunt and decided to drop a pole in the water on his way home.

whattaya know he harvested a 14 lbs salmon. I asked him to bring it home for me.

I've made hot smoked salmon a few times and like it. thinking of trying thirdeye's nova lox recipe.

what's the best way to handle this much fish, its probably enough salmon to last me a year

A 14 pound salmon will yield between 8-10 pounds of meat. You could use one side for Lox, and portion the other side and vacuum seal it for later use.

thanks for moving this ron and thanks for the advice.

definitely doing lox with a piece of the fresh fish......can't get much fresher than 4 hrs

A 14 pound salmon will yield between 8-10 pounds of meat. You could use one side for Lox, and portion the other side and vacuum seal it for later use.
I use both sides for lox to get equal size pieces facing each other for the cure. Cut the tail end off for other use.

I use both sides for lox to get equal size pieces facing each other for the cure. Cut the tail end off for other use.

you'll have to explain more?

two pieces meat to meat? skin on outside?

Fish that fresh is a good choice for lox. Or you could dry cure and hot smoke one side.

you'll have to explain more?

two pieces meat to meat? skin on outside?
The recipe I use is from the book Nourishing Traditions. It's cured in the refrigerator a couple days and doesn't require smoking.

Gravlox:
2-3# fresh salmon, center cut, cleaned, scaled with skin left on, cut into 2 filets
1/4 cup sea salt
1/4 cup Rapadura (or dark brown sugar)
2 tablespoons green peppercorn, crushed/coarse grind
1/4 cup whey (or lemon juice)
2 large bunches fresh dill, snipped

Remove any pin bones. Mix salt, Rapadura, peppercorns and rub thoroughly into flesh of both filets. Sprinkle with whey and cover with dill. Place flesh sides together and wrap well in plastic wrap. Wrap all in heavy duty aluminum foil and place between two cookie sheets. Put in refrigerator with a weight (bricks) on top. Refrigerate 2 to 6 days, turning every 12 hours.

In my experience it's cured in 2 to 3 days.

Unfortunately a 14 pound salmon would not last long around my place. Congrats and happy cooking, looking forward to seeing your results.

Wow, Smoke Ninja, you a truly blessed. It’s not everyday we can get such a gem considering most stuff in the market these days include moisture retaining agents in the form of phosphates.
There is so much you can do but I would hot smoke one side to enjoy today and/or tomorrow and then make lox with the other filet. Thirdeye’s dealio is pretty spot on and will yield excellent results although a little labor over a longer time in days for the lox. One slight recipe difference from our family’s Eastern European roots would be that gravlox has no smoke and nova lox or just lox is cold smoked. Mom did the gravlox, Dad did the smoke or grilling.
Both start out the same way - the dry cure with salt and sugar wrapped in plastic but, it gets wet pretty quick as the moisture is drawn out. Whatever spices you add are up to you. You can go all the way on both with just sugar and salt and will have great results. Gravlox for us always has fresh dill in the cure.
The hot smoke:
Dry cure two to three hours and then rinse but don’t rinse too much as you will draw out the little bit of cure you have going. Slap it on a soaked cedar plank or not skin down. Sometimes it goes right on the kettle with nothing else or my other ways include yellow mustard rub topped with brown sugar or your favorite BBQ rub, dill and lemon, teriyaki and pineapple or, just black pepper or BBQ rub. Whatever you want but with fish that fresh I would go with just the salt and sugar...prepare an indirect fire on the kettle and when nice and hot toss on some apple or alder flavor chunks. Put the filet on the side with no coal and cover with vents half open. Your looking for about 350 degrees but I’ve done it so much I never check the temp. 20 to 30 minutes is usually enough but with a filet as big as yours your are looking at around 30 minutes. Be careful not to overcook! You want it barely done. Enjoy!
For the lox, prepare per Thirdeye or any lox/gravlox method and then cold smoke. After the cure when you basically have gravlox, enjoy or cold smoke for added flavor. We always rub a little oil over the entire filet to enhance the appearance and oilliness of the fish. It’s very important to not exceed 80 degrees on the cold smoke. You absolutely positively do not want to cook the fish! It’s already done. An hour or two of cold smoke is enough. I take my Big Chief hot smoke cabinet and fill an empty soup can with the lid still partially attached with flavor chips. Then, I stick the hot end of a soldering iron into the can layed on it’s side. Put that under the fish and close up the cabinet for a little bit. Enjoy your catch...

Nice catch

double post deleted...

Last edited:
My favorite for fresh salmon is skin side down on a grill with Montreal steak seasoning on it until done.

It's your fish- do what you want. I would grill at lest the tail sections right away.

I would cut it into pieces of filets, cure it, cold smoke it, vacuum bag the pieces individually, freeze them, and enjoy a chunk of Smoked Salmon until the cows no longer came home.
Nice Score!:becky::icon_smile_tongue:

ok my father in law brought home the fish with no face. it had dnr tag. they took the tag and will contact him with the data on the fish. I was very surprised at the color of the meat. it was pretty much white instead of the red/pink I'm used to.

there are some bones in the fillets. is this normal or was it because of his butcher job? he said I can pull them after I cook it. I'm a bit skeptical but dont know.

P3gOxHih.jpg

ok my father in law brought home the fish with no face. it had dnr tag. they took the tag and will contact him with the data on the fish. I was very surprised at the color of the meat. it was pretty much white instead of the red/pink I'm used to.

Where did he catch it? The pink coloration of salmon is due to their diet, and if it was caught in fresh water (e.g., Great Lakes) they aren't eating the tiny shrimp that they do in the ocean.

there are some bones in the fillets. is this normal or was it because of his butcher job? he said I can pull them after I cook it. I'm a bit skeptical but dont know.

Those are the pin bones that were mentioned above. You can use needle nose pliers and pull them out.

Where did he catch it? The pink coloration of salmon is due to their diet, and if it was caught in fresh water (e.g., Great Lakes) they aren't eating the tiny shrimp that they do in the ocean.

Those are the pin bones that were mentioned above. You can use needle nose pliers and pull them out.

he caught it in northeastern Michigan. our property is in Atlanta so near there in a river. of course salmon are not native to Michigan.

Back