CSRs...Oh, How I Love Thee...

I just smoked a batch of CSRs on my Chimp. They were the type cut from the end of the loin with rib bones. 4 hours at 250 with an IT of 190. Pretty much a fail...the loin was real dry. Maybe grilling to 140 would have been better.

I find the darker red CSRs to be more tender & moist than ones that are lighter colored when done in a crock pot. I've never done them on my PBC but after looking at those pics I'm definitely giving them a try, especially if I can find some like those in Rodger's pic.

I just smoked a batch of CSRs on my Chimp. They were the type cut from the end of the loin with rib bones. 4 hours at 250 with an IT of 190. Pretty much a fail...the loin was real dry. Maybe grilling to 140 would have been better.

Don't think you went long enough. CSRs cook like pork butt. Typically, I go till probe tender, which tends to be around 201, plus or minus.

Was my butcher right when he said they were the off cut of the chops or loin? Sorry...don't know anything about this stuff.

In some parts of the country...they are like a small bone-in loin chop. But out here in California, CSR's are typically just pork butt cut up.

Back