SRF Berkshire Pork Shoulder Cook

Nice, cool seeing a whole shoulder cook! I bet that is going to be some tasty eats!!

Weather looks like it may be rolling in which means wind. So I will keep a eye on things and may have to finish this cook inside, I just want another good hour in smoke...:pray:

I cooked mine over the weekend, ended up being 24lb according to the package. We got approximately 13-13.5lb of yield out of it after removing the bones/inedible fat etc. Arguably the best shoulder I've had.

I cooked mine over the weekend, ended up being 24lb according to the package. We got approximately 13-13.5lb of yield out of it after removing the bones/inedible fat etc. Arguably the best shoulder I've had.

This shoulder came really close trimmed in fact a little less fat than I prefer on a pork roast, I am really looking forward to it.

Well I got a full 4 hours of smoke and decided that I better take her off before the winds get too bad so I panned her and sealed with foil and into a 325 oven until its pull apart tender. Then I'll rest her and pull the meat. The shoulder smells amazing... I will post more pics in a few hours when it's ready.

Looks great! I really like whole shoulders but they are a special order for me, and there are only two meat markets that can order one.

Looks great! I really like whole shoulders but they are a special order for me, and there are only two meat markets that can order one.

Yeah I hear you, this is my first one and had to order it from SRF, fortunately it was on sale and I had a $50.00 promo code. I ordered a second one still got the sale price and had a $25.00 promo code that came with the first one.

wow. I didn't realize these were whole shoulders you picked up......you have my attention sir

Looking really good, Bill! Can’t wait to see the finished product! I picked one up as well - looking forward to a Memorial Day smoke for mine!

Just checked the shoulder and pulled off a little piece just to check, WOW! amazing flavor especially considering I did not use any rub other than a little kosher salt.

Yeah I hear you, this is my first one and had to order it from SRF, fortunately it was on sale and I had a $50.00 promo code. I ordered a second one still got the sale price and had a $25.00 promo code that came with the first one.

If I'm following along of your description of the trimming..., this one did not have the skin still on the picnic end? This is the basic trim I've had on whole shoulders.

7rIKA.jpg

Yeah mine came from SRF closely trimmed as you can see from the initial post so I did not have to trim anything. I have never cooked a shoulder let alone trim one...:p

If I'm following along of your description of the trimming..., this one did not have the skin still on the picnic end? This is the basic trim I've had on whole shoulders.

7rIKA.jpg

That is some beautiful color on the skin.

I'm about ready to pull mine, I'm sure my bark has mostly dissolved from being covered. Once I pull the meat I will chill most of it and vac seal tomorrow and freeze for future meals for my wife and I.

Out of the oven... 4 Hours smoke, 4 hours panned and covered in the oven...

The bark more or less dissolved during it's time in the oven plus there was so little external fat.
5 13 19 SRF Shoulder out of oven.jpg

The bones pulled with no effort just grabbed hold of them with tongs and they released.

5 13 19 SRF Shoulder bones pulled.jpg

Pretty much filled a full size hotel/steam table pan.

5 13 19 SRF Shoulder Pulled Hotel Pan.jpg

Once chilled I will vac seal in approximately 1 pound bags and put into the freezer for future meals. I am very pleased with the results, nice subtle smoke, incredibly tender and moist, and a really deep rich pork flavor and not in the least fatty. My wife said it was the best pulled pork she has ever eaten. That says a lot considering no rub just a little salt applied to the exterior about 15 min prior to going into the smoker. I am really happy I have another in the freezer and will definitely buy more of these from SRF.

Back