• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

drop off and set up am I in the right ball park?

T

Tweedle

Ok here's my question I had a friend ask me if I would be able to cater there wedding. It was originaly going to be a pot luck deal in there back yard, but they are thinking about doing bbq thru me if the price was right. I would be dropping the food off setting up a self serve buffet style table and leaving, no service involved. Also returning to grab the leftovers and my dishes. Here is what I came up with for pricing to low to high sound right?

100 people.
One meat and no sides- $1850
Two meats no sides- $1950
One meat with 2 sides- $2025
Two meats with Two sides- $2125

(this is less per person than i normally charge but I ussually do 15-30 person events and they are good friends)

Your very expensive for a drop off. I would be @ $1400 for the latter.
$18.00 pp for 1 meat?

That seems really high to me as well. And if this person is a friend, they may not be after that price.

Also includes drinks canned soda and bottled water (or pop for you mid westerners) forgot to mention that for all 3. But it sounds like I am pretty high already so with soda and water should I be looking for around 1500-1600?

Ok after talking to them this is what they decided they are looking for.They want 1 meat 2 sides soda and water. Using my normal pricing it would be around $2450 for drop off. After your last two posts I did some refiguring and came up with $1850 for the above gig. Am I still over vauling myself at 18.50 per person? Thanks for the earlier advice.

Way off the mark for me...

Soda and water for 100 = $150 - $200

One meat, two sides dropped off = $12.50 PP = $1250

$1450 total tab for me for this one.

The problem with these pricing requests is that prices vary a lot depending on where you are operating. Some can't get $12pp and others will easily get $18pp for the same thing. My tip is to get the budget from the customers and work something out within that budget. If you know the budget you will know what you can do or not do. Chicken and pulled pork or ribs and brisket. It all makes a difference so know where you will end up before you start, it will save a lot of hard feelings.

For 18.50 per person you better be serviing beef tenderloin, twice baked potatoes and green beans plus pop, water, buffet setup, and plates, cutlery and naplins.

Pulled pork, beans and slaw with pop water and werving stuff is maybe $11. put in ribs instead of pork and it's $14 or 15.

I'm doing a wedding with brisket, chicken, twice baked taters, gren bean casserole, green salad and plates cutlery and full service buffet line for $20 per head and am throwing in some smoked chex mix and nuts as an appetizer.

At least $5/pp too high, at least in the midwest. Throw in the fact it's a "friend" and take another $1 off. Just me, and I've been told I don't charge enough...so take it for what it's worth.

how come no one asked??..

What are the meats?

Pulled pork and chicken is alot cheaper than babybacks and brisket.

but welcome to Long Island, around here that would fetch 18-22$ per person.

Chicken and Pulled pork, BBQ beans , jalapeno corn bread, coleslaw, SODA and water. Moinks, ABT's, 3 different sauces.

We also include plates, dinner ware, napkins and 4 trash cans & bags and removal of bags included. Set up and break down buffet style service.

Normaly that would be $2970 with my curent pricing now that may be why I am only getting small jobs (15-30 people) and only occasionally......

After reading on here for the last year about how people under price themselfs and how thats a bad thing to do I fear that I may have gone in the other direction... I guess its time to rework my pricing.

With the above menu at cost X3 is 2100ish. My problem is Not living withing 80 miles of any sams club costco restrant depot kinda place so I have yet to find out bulk pricing and have been using my local shops to order my stuff. I need to find a way to reduce costs quite a bit apparently. Back to the drawing board....

ok all that said I told them $1650 for the above menu. We will see what they say. They are good enough friends that they understand that business is business, and not personal. They know what my current pricing is so they should know that they are getting a deal, If they don't like the price No hard feelings either way.

The problem with these pricing requests is that prices vary a lot depending on where you are operating. Some can't get $12pp and others will easily get $18pp for the same thing. My tip is to get the budget from the customers and work something out within that budget. If you know the budget you will know what you can do or not do. Chicken and pulled pork or ribs and brisket. It all makes a difference so know where you will end up before you start, it will save a lot of hard feelings.

I agree babe, let's get her budget so we know if we are wasting each others time. That way we can either move forward or move on.:bored:

I say charge what you think you are worth. You will be the reason for your success or failures.
On another note???? If they are your friends why are you not invited to the wedding to enjoy?

I say charge what you think you are worth. You will be the reason for your success or failures.
On another note???? If they are your friends why are you not invited to the wedding to enjoy?

That is a very good question! :noidea:

That is a very good question! :noidea:
Cause someone has to do the cooking and it would be awkward to as someone to cook for free.

Back