MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
GreasePig
is One Chatty Farker

Default Need some advice for Tri-Tip on the Egg!

Haven't done a Tri-tip on the Egg before so I thought I would knock it around with all you Egg heads on here!

Plate Setter or no?

500 temp or lower?

Advise me oh wise ones?

Old 05-27-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
bbq lover
is one Smokin' Farker

325 for me 125 internal loose tent rest 30 mins when done slice and eat

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
GreasePig
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq lover View Post
325 for me 125 internal loose tent rest 30 mins when done slice and eat
TY Sir!

Old 05-27-2010, 08:05 PM   #4
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have done them three different ways on my Egg. Even though I mention searing in all three methods, sometimes they don't need the sear.

Cooking Method 1 – Set up the cooker for grilling with a direct set up and a grate temperature around 375°. Oak is the traditional wood for grilling tri-tip. Cook the roast for 15 or 20 minutes, turn and cook until the internal temperature is 125° to 135°. Remove and rest the roast while ramping up the cooker to searing temperatures. Return it for the sear, turning often. Rest it for 10 minutes and slice.

Cooking Method 2 – Set up the cooker for an indirect cook with barbecue temperatures around 250°. Oak or pecan are good choices for wood. Cook until the internal temperature is 125° to 135°, remove and rest while ramping up the cooker for searing. Return it for the sear, turning often. Rest it for 10 minutes and slice.

Cooking Method 3 - Season the roast. Put the roast in a zipper bag or a vacuum bag and submerge in 100° water for about an hour and a half. Meanwhile, set up the cooker for a direct cook using a grate temperature about 350°. Remove the roast from the bag, add more seasoning if needed. Grill the roast until the internal temperature is 125°. This will happen much quicker that when using Cooking Method 1 because the internal temperature of the roast will be 85° or higher when it hits the grill. Remove when the desired temperature is reached. Ramp up the cooker to searing temperatures while resting the roast. Return the roast for the sear, remove and rest a few minutes before slicing.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-28-2010, 03:20 AM   #5
Chuckwagonbbqco
is one Smokin' Farker

Tri-Tip is a very forgiving cut of meat. It turns out good cooked several different methods. This causes an over abundance of posting about how to cook tri-tip.
I have seen soo many different recipes and methods of cooking tri-tip that it makes my head spin.

I have cooked tons of tri-tip on a "Santa Maria" style grill with Santa Maria spices. I have cooked tons of tri-tip in my Bushrod smoker with numerous versions of a rub. I have cooked tri-tips on a pitch fork over oak coals for "Cowboy Fondue" I have cooked tri-tip in dutch ovens. I have made tri-tip German Saurbraten. What I am trying to say is---"I have experimented"

Different folks have promoted "sear" -explaining that it holds juices and moisture. Other folks have written articles to debuck the "sear" advantage. Sear after smoking? Sear before smoking? Who do we beleive?

I myself --after years of experiments--choose to cook tri-tips on a "Santa Maria" style grill-----even though I own several smokers. I cater tri-tip almost every weekend and have done so for 20 years. I am not patting my own back ---just explaining that I didn't start experimenting last week-or read something on a forum.

Cooking on an egg is best of all worlds----low and slow or quick and fast can both be accomplished----the "EGG" is awesome. I would suggest experimentation. Cook a tri-tip hot and fast for 45 minutes-----cook a tri tip low and slow for 3 hours. ONLY YOU can determine the best way to cook tri-tip as you like it. All forum entrees have faults---all forum entries have valid points.

The only thing that is constant about tri-tip is the pronounced grain. ALWAYS slice exactlly perpendicular to the grain to obtain maximum tenderness. EVERY DAY somebody posts pictures of tri-tip cut WRONG for optimum tenderness. I have given up adding posts---after pictures are posted---about cutting against the grain. People get upset and I become a jerk, because ther is 10 posts kissing ass about how good it looks and one post from me suggesting better carving methods.

Experiment on your egg----try low and slow VS hot n fast----the tri-tip is forgiving enough that both will be good. YOU decide what is best for you. If you think that carving is not important---cook 2 tri-tips---cut one against the grain and 1 with the grain----try for yourself----do not listen to me---FORM YOUR OWN STYLE.

You can thank me later when someone tells you that YOURS-is the best tri-tip that they ever had. My goal is for you to become a tri-tip expert---get goin'

Leonard Sanders--Chuck Wagon BBQ Co---old and in the way
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-28-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
GreasePig
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks guys! Awesome tips!

Old 05-28-2010, 09:11 PM   #7
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

Just scored two tri's today. First tri cook for a southern boy. They seem smaller than I thought they would be.

Whats some favorite rubs?

Old 05-28-2010, 09:38 PM   #8
GreasePig
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfxr27 View Post
Just scored two tri's today. First tri cook for a southern boy. They seem smaller than I thought they would be.

Whats some favorite rubs?
I use Bovine Bold from Plowboys and some Course Cracked Pepper and Kosher Salt..

Just S & P will do you fine too!

Old 05-29-2010, 12:32 AM   #9
Ross in Ventura
is Blowin Smoke!

Here how I cook them
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...t=Ross+Ventura
Ross
My Blog:http://grillingandsmoking.blogspot.com/

Tags
Tri-Tip