• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Suggestions for 1st smoke on my completed UDS?

misterrachel

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Finished my UDS tonight and did a test run. Held very nicely at 250 after some tweaking! Thanks to all who gave me building advice.

Going to do my seasoning/first smoke run tomorrow afternoon. I will, of course, throw on a fatty...but, I'd like to do one other thing. Babyback ribs perhaps? Any thoughts on a good 1st-time-at-bat recipe?

I'm hesitant on the 3-2-1 method or 2-2-1, because of commentary I've read about the ribs becoming mushy. Thoughts?

For the fatty, I'll probably stay simple...rub only. (can't make 'em with cheese...allergic to milk)

Good luck, you can't go wrong with a fatty. I just finished my UDS a few weeks ago. So far have only done butts twice and brisket once. I initially seasoned my UDS with crisco, charcoal and some wood chips during my test burn. But after my first butt I had a nice solid black layer of grease and smoke that really sealed up the inside of the drum. Throw a small butt on their, can't go wrong with that and it's an easy Que to get right. Make sure you post some pron!

Since there's somewhat of a good chance you'll have some temp problems I wouldn't run the risk of ruining baby backs.

Personally, I'd get a pork butt or two and smoke those. The pork butt is the most lenient.

Just my opinion and I'd do two fatties at least.

What BBQ Grail said, pork butts for dinner and fatties for snacks. There is often a learning curve with drums.

My only issue tomorrow with butts would be time. I probably won't be able to fire up until the early afternoon. Wifey won't want to eat dinner at midnight. Am I incorrect in my assumption that a butt will take 7 to 9 hours?

7 to 9 would be quick, IMO. Sometimes they run 12+ hrs. Turkey legs might go well. If you hit a temp spike, all it will do is crisp the skin... Brine them first for anti-dryness insurance.

If you are confident that you can keep the temp around 275 throughout the cook, throw on some rubbed baby backs. In about four hours you will have some nice BBQ ribs.

Back