MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
Zombie Barbecue
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Anything Butt/ Chefs Choice

Just wondering whos ever won in the past and what you made for the anything butt/chefs choice category. ever win with Dessert??Trying to get some ideas for the upcoming season. thinking salmon maybe rib roast.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
luckyduk
Full Fledged Farker

Have seen dessert win more than twice

Old 01-31-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
HarleyEarl
Full Fledged Farker

I've seen salmon, dessert, & steak win.

Word of warning - don't try rack of lamb - I tried them at one contest & cooked to a full on medium, but the judges deemed them un-edible (raw), KCBS rep said they were cooked just right, judges still said "nope", so the rep went home with a FULL box - at least someone appreciated them. One expensive lesson
CBJ
Six UDS's, Traeger 125, Traeger Jr, two HD Off-sets, and a home-made Trailer mounted smoker
Funny Farm BBQ
[URL="http://www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us"]www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us[/URL]
[COLOR=darkred][B]***2010 Great American Barbecue Baste of the Year***[/B][/COLOR]
HarleyEarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Come to our class in may. We will do our chefs choice that took 1st place in CT. 2010

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2011, 07:38 PM   #5
daedalus
Full Fledged Farker

I usually see desserts win. If not that, then salmon is a good bet. I actually walked in a backyard comp doing scotch eggs though, so you never know.

Dark Horse BBQ Competition Team
KCBS Master CBJ
Certified Moink Baller

Good One "Open Range" Smoker, WMS (Cirqa 1983), Rescued NB offset, Modified ECB, No-name Charcoal Grill, Perfect Flame Gasser, Weber 22.5" One Touch Silver
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2011, 08:05 PM   #6
Zombie Barbecue
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus View Post
I usually see desserts win. If not that, then salmon is a good bet. I actually walked in a backyard comp doing scotch eggs though, so you never know.

Scotch eggs rules! What kind of desserts are winning? cheesecake, pecan pies, or more fancy stuff.

and also, what if you do seafood and a judge is allergic? wouldnt they need to substitute a judge?

I heard people winning with lobsters. christ, might as well put a few rolex's in there while youre at it.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:47 PM   #7
daedalus
Full Fledged Farker

It seems to me that Pineapple upside down cakes and cheesecakes tend to be winners. I judged a key lime cheesecake last summer that was to die for...got a 180. Chocolate covered bacon can do well too.

Dark Horse BBQ Competition Team
KCBS Master CBJ
Certified Moink Baller

Good One "Open Range" Smoker, WMS (Cirqa 1983), Rescued NB offset, Modified ECB, No-name Charcoal Grill, Perfect Flame Gasser, Weber 22.5" One Touch Silver
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2011, 09:09 PM   #8
Is It Ready Yet?
On the road to being a farker

From my experience, a simple, flavorful dish can win out. Just ask Jamie Oliver.

[B]XL Green Egg[/B]
[B]Medium Spicewine[/B]
[B]26.75 Weber Kettle[/B]
[B]22.5 Weber Kettle[/B]
[B]Is It Ready Yet? BBQ Team[/B]
Is It Ready Yet? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2011, 09:54 PM   #9
Just Smokin' Around
Full Fledged Farker

If desserts are part of the Anything Butt, they usually win, from what I've seen. In dessert, cheescakes generally do well. How do you judge salmon, cheeescake, pudding, lobster and steak, jello, etc. side by side. Some organizers have started doing dessert separate because of this. I've seen people put fillet mignon and lobster together - all for $100 prize. It's a huge crap shoot. You can save yourself some money and aggrevation and not do them. We stopped doing 'em, especially if they charge to enter it. BTW - we turned in rack of lamb once and had a similar result as Harley.
Medium BGE, Weber Kettle and gasser, other toys
Just Smokin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2011, 08:18 PM   #10
Zombie Barbecue
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Smokin' Around View Post
If desserts are part of the Anything Butt, they usually win, from what I've seen. In dessert, cheescakes generally do well. How do you judge salmon, cheeescake, pudding, lobster and steak, jello, etc. side by side. Some organizers have started doing dessert separate because of this. I've seen people put fillet mignon and lobster together - all for $100 prize. It's a huge crap shoot. You can save yourself some money and aggrevation and not do them. We stopped doing 'em, especially if they charge to enter it. BTW - we turned in rack of lamb once and had a similar result as Harley.
Yeah been seeing a lot more dessert categories that are separate from chefs choice. key lime pie sounds kickass. anybody win on beef ribroast>? Maybe I'll just put 6 shots of woodford reserve in the box and turn that in.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:01 PM   #11
Capn Kev
is one Smokin' Farker

Smoked prime rib does well ;)
FEC-100, REC TEC Grill, WSM 22.5", UDS, KCBS CBJ #54829
[/SIZE]
Capn Kev is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #12
INmitch
is one Smokin' Farker

Joey on our team is an outstanding cook. We one with filet oscar this last year. If your going all out make sure you've got a team member dedicated to just that. Don't let it hinder your main 4.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:19 AM   #13
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

70 teams at the Skewered Apple BBQ Championship in Yakima WA, and I saw some truly remarkable and creative turn ins for "Anything on a Skewer".

ABT's took First Place.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011, 10:59 AM   #14
Zombie Barbecue
Knows what a fatty is.

does anybody know if you are turning in a dessert, do you need atleast (6) portions of that dessert or just (1) slice? same with a rib roast, you'd need (6) portions of rib roast right?

Old 02-02-2011, 11:09 AM   #15
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

rules for turn in vary from contest to contest. Some have to have six pre cut portions others can turn in a large one piece to be cut at judges table. Also some require it to fit into a box where others say turn it in however you want. At the american royal I've seen deserts that require two people to carry them.
mobow is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->