MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-10-2006, 03:17 PM   #1
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Menu for Wife's Team Holiday Party

Wife's boss asked if I would fix BBQ for her team holiday party: 10-12 people. It would be at her house and not ours, so I'll have to transport can can't take things right off the grill. Still thinking, but here's my list so far...

Apetizers
- Planked Brie
- Grilled Shrimp (Maybe pesto shrimp)
- Brisket Empanadas

Entree Meats
- Baby Back Ribs
- Brisket or Pulled Pork (Gotta do some big BBQ meat)
- Fatties? (Need to think about how I'd do them, though. Stuffed probably.)

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2006, 03:49 PM   #2
thirdeye

At the present time, The planked brie is high on my list. I did some at Thanksgiving and I'm also doing some for one of those administrator retreat things the wife is attending on Thursday. She signed me up for 2 appetizers. Smoked peppered salmon is going along as treat #2. I'm thinking a dill sauce for the salmon and some dainty crackers. At home I serve the brie right on the plank but I'm thinking of cutting a round out of parchment paper to put under it so it will slide off easier. They also may have to warm it slightly in the oven.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2006, 04:11 PM   #3
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye
At the present time, The planked brie is high on my list. I did some at Thanksgiving and I'm also doing some for one of those administrator retreat things the wife is attending on Thursday. She signed me up for 2 appetizers. Smoked peppered salmon is going along as treat #2. I'm thinking a dill sauce for the salmon and some dainty crackers. At home I serve the brie right on the plank but I'm thinking of cutting a round out of parchment paper to put under it so it will slide off easier. They also may have to warm it slightly in the oven.
I remember these picks. Look a little scary, frankly. I'm sure they were great, but the toppings are a little funky looking. No offense.

Do you just chop the top off and plank cook it or any other special treatments. I like the parchment idea. I usually serve on the plank.

I was thinking that it would have to go in the oven a bit for the wifey's party, too.

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler

Old 12-10-2006, 04:13 PM   #4
bbqjoe
Banned

What's all on the top pic?
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2006, 04:15 PM   #5
Plowboy

Looks like green, red, and yellow bell peppers, onions, and sundried tomatos?

Old 12-10-2006, 04:16 PM   #6
Plowboy

What's with the foaming around the plank and base of the Brie? Is that moisture from the brie or butter?

Old 12-10-2006, 04:40 PM   #7
thirdeye

I remember these picks. Look a little scary, frankly. I'm sure they were great, but the toppings are a little funky looking. No offense None taken. Buy a 1/4# wheel and try the roasted pepper one. It's wild. It was served at 3 Eggfests last year. The cranberry/orange was a little sweet for me, but I've had them with fruit preserves as toppers and didn't like them either.

The recipe follows, I added sun dried tomatoes.

Do you just chop the top off and plank cook it or any other special treatments. I like the parchment idea. I usually serve on the plank. I just bought a 1# wheel and sliced in in half, otherwise you have to pick the crust off the brie.

What's with the foaming around the plank and base of the Brie? Is that moisture from the brie or butter? No the plank has soaked in water for several hours and right before putting the cheese on the hot plank, you wet the surface for a steam effect. Some liquid comes from the cheese.The smoke curls from the edges and I use a little squirt bottle to wet it so the plank does not flash.

Maple-Planked Brie with Garlic and Roasted
Peppers – Evans Tabor “Chubby”

Ingredients
1 maple plank, soaked (at least 4 hours)
2 small wheels brie (1/4 lb. each)
1/4 cup olive oil
6-8 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 green onions, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper , roasted, peeled, seeded and
finely chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
2 Tbs chopped fresh thyme
2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
black pepper and salt to taste

Procedure
Preheat EGG to 400 degrees dome.
Scrape rind off top of each wheel of brie to expose cheese and set aside.
Heat olive oil in saute pan (or cast iron skillet) and add garlic, cooking until softened but
not browned.
Add green onions, peppers, thyme, vinegar and saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat and salt & pepper to taste.
Place the maple plank on direct grill and listen for it to “pop” (about 8-10 minutes).
Divide the pepper mixture evenly on top of brie wheels and place on plank.
Close lid and bake for 8-10 minutes until cheese begins to melt... (or the plank catches
fire, as in Chubby’s case!!).
Serve with slices of crusty bread or crackers

Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Old 12-10-2006, 07:04 PM   #8
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

May have to try this planked brie for Christmas. How would it hold up to smoker temps more in the 250-275 range? Would the brie get hot enough before oozing anywhere?

Anyone ever plank other cheeses at the same time, for a planked cheese board? Or, maybe, you could add a hunk of smoked gouda and slab of chedder on the plank for serrving. personally, I think that serving on the plank is part of what makes it great.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2006, 07:11 PM   #9
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by G$
May have to try this planked brie for Christmas. How would it hold up to smoker temps more in the 250-275 range? Would the brie get hot enough before oozing anywhere?

Anyone ever plank other cheeses at the same time, for a planked cheese board? Or, maybe, you could add a hunk of smoked gouda and slab of chedder on the plank for serrving. personally, I think that serving on the plank is part of what makes it great.
Gouda would probably work. I think its got to be a soft cheese.

Old 12-10-2006, 07:48 PM   #10
bbqjoe
Banned

Very interesting.
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2006, 08:22 PM   #11
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by G$

You need the plank over hot coals so it will smoke and a higher pit temp of 350° - 375° at the grate is needed to get it to soften, cook time is only about 10 minutes. Other people have used Camembert cheese.

I like serving anything cooked on the plank on it too.

Old 12-11-2006, 08:42 AM   #12
Arlin_MacRae

GOOD looking stuff and thanks for th recipes!

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote