MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #16
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I have a 16 pounder in the fridge wet aging since the first week of november..cant have a fridge that is opened alot, the fresh air aND light is what brings on the bad ..I did a 6 pounder yesterday that was put in at the same time and it is just unbelievable the one for christmas is starting to puff up...remember to scrape off the outside...but a 30 day is the best..

Thanks from:--->

Old 12-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #17
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

I'd dry-age it as well. I think you are fairly safe with a 7-10 day dry age even if conditions aren't ideal IE: temp/humidity.

That said, please do cut away the dessicated stuff that will accumulate on the outside of the meat. Be prepared for some loss! It always makes me cringe the more I have to cut away, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I was aging a piece of rib-roast myself in my beer fridge. I also have some himalayan salt bricks I keep in it to help control any bacteria. There is a fan at the top as well, but I felt the meat started to get a funky odor too soo so I took it out, cut away a good bit of the outter meat and put the rest in the freezer.

I think it may have been wet-aged longer than I thought since I got it from a butcher who doesn't seem to deal a lot in "premium" cuts of meat. I imagine at 11.99 a pound it may have sat around a while.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #18
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Given the responses (thank you all again), I'm leaning toward aging it in the fridge. It will be in my beer fridge, the only other thing in there will be beer and can's of soda. Between the two roasts it's about 13lbs of meat. This will be the 2nd meat for Christmas dinner, we are also having ham, and I might do a turkey as well, well see.

There should be 18 adults there. I may be pushing it on quantity, although I'm planning on slicing it thinner then usual, or thicker and cutting each piece in half because there's just so much other food it's crazy. It does concern me to have to cut away some meat after the aging when I already feel like I'm pushing on the quantity. I wouldn't be totally against buying more meat if I have to either.

The other obstacle I have is that I'm going to cook this at home and take it 15 minutes away to my parents house for dinner. I was thinking of cooking it to 125*, resting it for a little bit, then wrapping and coolering it for the ride. That way once I get there I can fire it into a hot oven to heat it back up before we eat and slice it at that time.

So what do you guys do for an au jus? I imagine putting a pan under the roast in the smoker doesn't give enough juice. I was thinking about putting a couple can's of store bought au jus in a pan and then putting that under to catch the drippings.

I feel like I'm skitzin about this cook for some reason, I'm not nervous about actually cooking it, it's just all the prep and transporting really.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #19
ManakooraMan
Knows what a fatty is.

As long as you're 30 to 45 min away it'll do fine at room temp. Don't even need to heat it up much, just crisp up the outside at 550 for 8 minutes when you're ready to eat.

One word of advice about the rub if using. Hate to disagree and I love me a garlic steak like the next moke, but garlic on prime rib makes it taste chickeny. Don't know why, it just does. I think it has to do with the low slow roast.
ManakooraMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #20
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

You're on the right track IMHO.

I'd also plan on capturing the juices while it rests. Add those to the aforementioned beef broth, a little worsty sauce, maybe a dash of red-wine, garlic powder, S&P, bring to a simmer, and you have yourself one mighty fine tasting aus jus for "prime rib".
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #21
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

You could smoke it in a pan to capture the juices, until it gets to 120*. then do 500* reverse sear, wrap it and cooler it for the ride. Use the captured jus to make a killer sauce.
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote