MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #1
Chenernator
Full Fledged Farker

Default Good Q in Boerne, TX/NW San Antonio

I'm heading to Boerne in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone has recommendations for Q in the Hill Country.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

If you can take the time, it's not that far over to Lockhart and Luling for the real deal.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
chad

McBee's is an interesting place. They have stores in New Braunfels and Pleasanton.
Bar D's in Boerne looks OK. Never ate there, but then I've been gone from San Antonio and the area since 1997. Fritz's on Main in Boerne is another possibility.

Good luck. Eat other food too. The Tex Mex will take your mind off que.

Don't let proximity fool ya, it's 85 miles from Boerne to Luling or Lockhart. Not a bad drive but still and hour and a bit each way. While you're doing that you could hit Rudy's, too. It's north of SA. Rudy's Country Store in Leon Springs off I-10. Of course, now it's franchised all over heck so it may be typical production food.

County Line used to be out on NW 1604. Their beef ribs were pretty decent.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

OK, a disclaimer might be in order here. When I say " it's not that far", I once drove about 400 miles out of the way to eat at Oklahoma Joe's in Kansas City and am very glad I did.

On the other hand, you will kick yourself if you are only 1 1/2 hours from 4 of the Texas BBQ Meccas and don't go if you do have the time to do so.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
caseydog

I used to lead a "Bluebonnets and BBQ" driving tour in April. There are good driving roads, and great Q all over the hill country.

I love the brisket at Coopers in Llano -- and the atmosphere is great during bluebonnet season when Coppers is full of bikers and car clubs.

I love the simple rub that the Salt Lick in Driftwood uses -- I favor their ribs.

I like Louie Mueller's in Taylor.

You have Kreuz Market and Smitty's Market in Lockhart -- both are Texas Monthly Magazine top five joints.

The best Q in Texas is within 75 miles of the Austin-San Antonio area, IMO.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
caseydog

Here is a website that may be helpful. Texas Monthly is pretty much the "go to" authority, as far as the media goes, to eating BBQ in Texas.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:40 PM   #7
Chenernator
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks. That's a good start. Don't know if my schedule will permit a trip to Lockhart, but it looks like there's several options. I'm there for five days, so there will be a minimum of two Q dinners.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #8
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

Not Texas BBQ, but some of the best grilled meat for the $$ would be Chama Gaucha at 1604 and 281. Make reservations for Fri or Sat night. It will set you back $33 but it is all you can eat.

Rudy's in Leon SPrings is ok but I have always said, if Rudy's bbq was as good as their sauce, they would not need sauce. Rudy's is hit or miss. Can be pretty good or pretty bad.

Some of the best bbq I have had recently in SA is Smokin JOe's of TExas at Weidner and 35. Small, hole in the wall place that does a good job. But, not all that close to Boerne.

Two Bros BBQ Market is getting a lot of local press but when I tried it, it was not very good and people on Urban Spoon seem to agree with me.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:14 AM   #9
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I used to lead a "Bluebonnets and BBQ" driving tour in April. There are good driving roads, and great Q all over the hill country.

I love the brisket at Coopers in Llano -- and the atmosphere is great during bluebonnet season when Coppers is full of bikers and car clubs.

I love the simple rub that the Salt Lick in Driftwood uses -- I favor their ribs.

I like Louie Mueller's in Taylor.

You have Kreuz Market and Smitty's Market in Lockhart -- both are Texas Monthly Magazine top five joints.

The best Q in Texas is within 75 miles of the Austin-San Antonio area, IMO.

CD
This is a GREAT area for all sorts of food. CD listed some awesome places.
Salt Lick some nights even has an all you can eat!

Here is another, if you make it to Austin.
Fastly what some are saying the best brisket in TX if not the US.

http://www.franklinbarbecue.com/
Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote