MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
BMinahan
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Pro vs Am - Your opinion please

BBQ Brothers,
I am the Pit Boss for a rookie BBQ team. We have competed in 12 KCBS events thus far in 2012. Currently, we are ranked nationally 282nd in Chicken, 586th in Ribs, 153rd in Pork, 475th in Brisket, and 512th overall. In addition, we are about 25 points ahead of our closest competitor to be rookie team of the year for New England (1 event remaining) and we have had many walks, calls, and filled trophy case so far this year.
The question is,

#1. In your opinion, would it be right for a team with our qualifications to enter into an amateur backyard contest?
#2. In your opinion, are we considered a “PRO” Team?
#3. What would your opinion be if a cook on my team competed in the contest as the Pit Boss and mentored two other BBQ enthusiasts for the day? Would you opinion change if the team took 3 out of 4 first place trophies, 1st overall, and 77% of the prize money?

Thanks in advance - Bill

Old 09-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

A little historical reading for you.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...t=pro+backyard

Couple of links within that thread also.

TIM

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #3
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMinahan View Post
BBQ Brothers,
I am the Pit Boss for a rookie BBQ team. We have competed in 12 KCBS events thus far in 2012. Currently, we are ranked nationally 282nd in Chicken, 586th in Ribs, 153rd in Pork, 475th in Brisket, and 512th overall. In addition, we are about 25 points ahead of our closest competitor to be rookie team of the year for New England (1 event remaining) and we have had many walks, calls, and filled trophy case so far this year.
The question is,

#1. In your opinion, would it be right for a team with our qualifications to enter into an amateur backyard contest?
#2. In your opinion, are we considered a “PRO” Team?
#3. What would your opinion be if a cook on my team competed in the contest as the Pit Boss and mentored two other BBQ enthusiasts for the day? Would you opinion change if the team took 3 out of 4 first place trophies, 1st overall, and 77% of the prize money?

Thanks in advance - Bill

Its all Karma.

My opinion is - If you have to ask whether you should or should not enter than your conscience is telling you not to enter. Listen to it.

Stumps OS223, Stumps GF223, Grilla Pellet Cooker, RectTec680, Traeger Tex, HM Offset Barrel, 18.5 and 22 inch WSM, UDS, Orion, 2 Weber Kettles...and a couple turkey fryers

"We're a drinking team...with a BBQ problem"

Want to join the team for Memphis in May?
[url]http://www.toosaucedtopork.com[/url]
TooSaucedToPork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
Big Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

You are a pro team and should not enter a backyard contest. If you or someone on your team wants to provide advice to the two bbq enthusiasts prior to the competition, that is one thing. But my opinion is that nobody on your team should be cooking

Big Mike
Eagle River Barbecue
Yoder YS640
Stumps Platinum 5 Trailer
Members Mark 8 Burner Gasser
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Short answer - no.

Its one thing starting in a Backyard/amateur division and step-up into a sanctioned event.

You admitted having a successful first year in sanctioned events.
That in itself is an unfair advantage at many levels of experiences at the Backyard division..
To go backwards and enter into a Backyard event is nothing but unethical. 

Besides - being in the running of the ROTY does imply first year in the "PRO" level.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD

Last edited by BBQ Bandit; 09-09-2012 at 05:41 PM..
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
LTG
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Billy Bob

1. No.
2. Yes. You've done 12 sanctioned contests already this year alone.
3. Depends. Did he do all the work while the others being mentored did remedial tasks? Lots of variables there.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

1. No
2. Obviously Yes - since you have cooked Pro division a dozen times
3. If your teammate cooks under a different team name, his own gear and the head cook is NOT at the event, then I'd give the benefit of the doubt. If it's just your Pro team in camouflage nobody will be fooled.

What it really boils down to is who you want to be perceived as. Pros who sweep up at amateur events get called bottom feeders and worse. However, only you know the circumstances of the event so you make your own choice - there is nothing beyond the ruling of the organizer to say who can cook their event and who can not.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #8
pigmaker23
is One Chatty Farker

No...
[B][COLOR=#008000]Mr. Bobo's Traveling BBQ Allstars ![/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=red][I]2009 Jack Daniels World BBQ BrisketChampion[/I][/COLOR][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=#ff0000]_______________________________________[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=black]Backwoods Fatboy (2) & a Chubby[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I]Jedmaster " BabyJed" Ring of Fire[/I][/B]
[B][I]OK Joe 84" Offset [/I][/B]
[B][I]Meadowcreek PR -72 Trailer[/I][/B]
pigmaker23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #9
HawgNationBBQ
Take a breath!

#1. No
#2. Yes
#3. Would not do it.
[COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]-[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]- Backwoods Competitor[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][B]-- Ugly Drum Smoker[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][B]-- XL BGE[/B][/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red][B]HAWG Nation on Twitter: [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=black][URL="http://twitter.com/HawgNationBBQ"][COLOR=#0000ff][B]@HawgNationBBQ[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.TheBestMeatRub.com"][B][COLOR=blue]www.TheBestMeatRub.com[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
HawgNationBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #10
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

What's a backyard contest ? What were the rules ? Did anything in the rules exclude an experienced team ?

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #11
sitnfat
is one Smokin' Farker

If its a non sanctioned contest I would say go cook it. The ones around here have people that only cook the non sanctioned stuff along with guys that cook sanctioned. Check with the originizer first but if they welcome you and other teams welcome you go cook. If its sanctioned don't do it

Old 09-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #12
Butt Rubb'n BBQ
Take a breath!

1. No. In contest around here they put in the rules if you have competed in a pro event under any sanctioning body you are not allowed to compete in BY.
2. What else would you be. Nice plug on the trophies.
3. I bet you wrote the test answers in the palm of your hand to didn't you.
Butt Rubb'n BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #13
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ View Post
What's a backyard contest ? What were the rules ? Did anything in the rules exclude an experienced team ?
Intended to be run alongside/the next day/day before at the site of a sanctioned event.

Some established pro teams take clear advantage of undefined parameters and limitations and enter as a secondary amateur team for the amateur/non-sanctioned/backyard event.

The clarity becomes blurred and since the Amateur event is not sanctioned - is it or is it not a violation of an existing KCBS rule#2?
  • #2) Each team shall consist of a chief cook and as many assistants as the chief cook deems necessary. A team shall not compete in more than one contest under the same team name, on the same date. Chief cooks and/or assistant cooks may only cook for their designated team at the contest they are attending.

It will eventually need to be clearly defined regarding unsanctioned events held at the same contest..

If not addressed - you'll see RV's and a 20' trailer for a backyard team that has Sponsors.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD

Last edited by BBQ Bandit; 09-09-2012 at 10:20 PM..
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2012, 11:30 PM   #14
TheJackal
Full Fledged Farker

You are ametuers. I can't wait to kick your ass in Seaside just like we did in Green Lane!

JK. Joking aside, stop by our spot on Saturday to hang out. We are cooking for our friends, family, and sponsors since this is our last comp of the season. You will get a chance to taste some 'real' award winning Q.
TheJackal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2012, 11:40 PM   #15
Meat Man
Full Fledged Farker

I've always felt backyard events are great for new cooks to come out and test the water. To get some limited competition experience under their belts before cooking at the pro level. In our area backyard events are generally two meat cooks, and a great way to get started for newbies.
Meat Man is offline   Reply With Quote