MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:26 AM   #1
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron
Default A food scientist's 4 tips for barbecue success

I saw this posted on Facebook.

Interesting article...

http://www.vox.com/2014/6/1/5765070/...rbecue-success

Quote:
When it comes to barbecuing, there are all sorts of expert tips out there that people claim to be the secret to delicious, succulent meat.

Some of these tips are correct, but have to be followed in a particular way to be effective. Others are entirely wrong.

Science to the rescue. Recently, food scientist Guy Crosby looked at the chemistry of barbecue — and explained how you can use scientific knowledge to maximize your barbecue success. Here are a few of his tips.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #2
Smokeoholic
Full Fledged Farker

Yes interesting nothing new though.

Thank's for posting.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:34 AM   #3
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Very interesting....except he's saying hot and fast dries out the meat faster. He appears to be a low and slow guy. Since I'm hot and fast I now don't like the article....

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-06-2014, 09:41 AM   #4
Smokeoholic
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninnewjersey View Post
Very interesting....except he's saying hot and fast dries out the meat faster. He appears to be a low and slow guy. Since I'm hot and fast I now don't like the article....
lol ^ ^ ^ ^

Old 06-06-2014, 09:52 AM   #5
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

I thought I read alot of information claiming that marinades should be very low sodium, not high sodium? Only saying that because I did a ton of reading about marinades when preparing for a contest that had Tri tip as a category.
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2014, 09:54 AM   #6
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.

I love food science.
Tip 4 will ruin a steak, and should have been explained more expansively.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:55 AM   #7
Fwismoker

Didn't read it yet but i will. H&F doesn't dry meat out though..lol Somebody should tell that too my chicken when i cook it about 500*

I think H&F should be re defined to over 350*

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2014, 09:56 AM   #8
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

The high in sodium recommendation is something that doesn't apply to me because I don't want my rub or marinade to completely take over the taste of my meat. I like the taste of the meat I'm cooking. The seasoning or marinade is just a complement for it.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #9
Fwismoker

There is, however, a trade-off in terms of temperature: the meat will lose the least amount of moisture at the low end of this range, but at the higher end, collagen (a tough type of connective tissue) gets converted to gelatin, making it much more tender. Completely converting collagen into gelatin is how you get types of barbecue that can be easily ripped apart — like pulled pork.

275-300 perfect imo for most meats.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2014, 10:08 AM   #10
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
There is, however, a trade-off in terms of temperature: the meat will lose the least amount of moisture at the low end of this range, but at the higher end, collagen (a tough type of connective tissue) gets converted to gelatin, making it much more tender. Completely converting collagen into gelatin is how you get types of barbecue that can be easily ripped apart — like pulled pork.

275-300 perfect imo for most meats.
I agree. Though my magic numbers are 250-275, those temps are great as well.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-06-2014, 10:50 AM   #11
arbeck
Knows what a fatty is.

Moisture loss is directly proportional to the final temperature of the product. If you cook super hot, the outside areas of the product will get to a higher temperature before the center gets to the temperature you want. Those outside areas that get to a higher temperature than the core will tend to dry out.

However, in barbecue, you are usually cooking your meats to a much higher internal temperature than a steak. Evaporative cooling actually slows the temperature of the outside while the core is coming up to temp. You simply can't get the internal temperature of the meat above the "stall" until enough moisture has evaporated unless you wrap. So, it really doesn't matter what temp you are cooking your barbecue at (within reason), because it has to get rid of the same amount of moisture before it can beat the evaporative cooling. Of course, if you wrap, you are avoiding the stall. However, the temp inside the wrap is never going to rise much above the boiling point of water; so you're cook temperature doesn't matter that much.

So to make a long story short. Hot and fast vs low and slow doesn't make much difference in meats where the target temperature is above about 175. As long as it spends enough time in the zone to render most of the collagen into gelatin, you'll be fine.
arbeck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #12
buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeck View Post
Moisture loss is directly proportional to the final temperature of the product. If you cook super hot, the outside areas of the product will get to a higher temperature before the center gets to the temperature you want. Those outside areas that get to a higher temperature than the core will tend to dry out.

However, in barbecue, you are usually cooking your meats to a much higher internal temperature than a steak. Evaporative cooling actually slows the temperature of the outside while the core is coming up to temp. You simply can't get the internal temperature of the meat above the "stall" until enough moisture has evaporated unless you wrap. So, it really doesn't matter what temp you are cooking your barbecue at (within reason), because it has to get rid of the same amount of moisture before it can beat the evaporative cooling. Of course, if you wrap, you are avoiding the stall. However, the temp inside the wrap is never going to rise much above the boiling point of water; so you're cook temperature doesn't matter that much.

So to make a long story short. Hot and fast vs low and slow doesn't make much difference in meats where the target temperature is above about 175. As long as it spends enough time in the zone to render most of the collagen into gelatin, you'll be fine.
I feel sorry for you, but appreciate your honesty and bravery!

Beliefs win over evidence.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:03 AM   #13
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneer View Post
I love food science.
Would you care to expand on this topic? So as to avoid the rest of us gullible bastidges from ruining our meats.
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #14
buccaneer

Quote:
I love food science.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS2SB View Post
Would you care to expand on this topic? So as to avoid the rest of us gullible bastidges from ruining our meats.
I thank you. It should have read rule 3.
That would ruin a low collagen meat.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:16 PM   #15
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

Yes, yes it would.
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote