• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Just curious, now that I've got my UDS up and running:

Are you guys using lump or briquettes in your UDS? Or might that be determined upon what your cooking (ie. Ribs vs. Brisket)?

Any and all help greatly appreciated!

Lump only in my drum.

My UDS...Alabama style. Right now I'm using magnets for the Alabama logos, but I plan to paint something on to make it permanent when I get the time.

DrumSmoker.jpg

DrumSmokerWeberLid.jpg

2011-04-16_094807_Calera_Alabama_US.jpg

Help! I got a cover for my UDS but left it on the concrete and after a big storm, it filled with water and is rusted and the charcoal basket is moldy from the last round of drippings that I was too lazy to clean. Is this a dead UDS or is there a way to save it?

Help! I got a cover for my UDS but left it on the concrete and after a big storm, it filled with water and is rusted and the charcoal basket is moldy from the last round of drippings that I was too lazy to clean. Is this a dead UDS or is there a way to save it?

The only way to kill a UDS is to rust it clean thru or to subject it to nuclear radiation. It takes a lot longer than one night to rust thru that much steel.

Just rinse the gunk out and give it a good hard burn. Good as new :thumb:

Non high heat paint

Has anyone ever painted a UDS with regular non high heat paint? Did it hold up? Kinda sick of all mine being high heat flat black.

Are you making a commentary about your Alabama teams? :wink:I see you are using an offset toilet flange for the vent, very inventive.:p

You all have done nice work. Just burned out one the other night. while listening to the Red sox loose:mad2: before the wins.:shocked:

My UDS...Alabama style. Right now I'm using magnets for the Alabama logos, but I plan to paint something on to make it permanent when I get the time.

DrumSmoker.jpg

DrumSmokerWeberLid.jpg

2011-04-16_094807_Calera_Alabama_US.jpg

Roll Tide Roll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simple and beautiful.

Has anyone ever painted a UDS with regular non high heat paint? Did it hold up? Kinda sick of all mine being high heat flat black.

Go to any automotive parts house and get engine or header paint. Available is various colors besides black :thumb:

I only use Rustoleum from WalMart. Mine are holding up just fine but I never get them above 350 or so and usually just smoke at 225 to 250.

Damn it man what a thread!!
Lots of good info. I will be working on a uds this weekend.

cpw110419zp

These pics crack me up. You guys are awesome, I wish I had that much time/creativity. Moving on, I've got a couple of questions-

1. My drum is ready except for the lid. The lid has a rubber seal. Should I remove that? It also has a clamp that I assume I'm going to not want to get hot, pitch it?

2. My lid is bungless. Huh huh huh. I thought about taking a 6in. damper and cutting a smaller hole in the lid. Use some hardware so it rotates. Any thoughts?

3. My Weber lid just sits on top, and I imagine cutting the bead will allow it to fit. Is that accurate?

4. Thermometer. I'm not doing a digital, so what is most common?

Thanks for the help. Call me lazy, but 500 pages to sift through seems a bit much.

Ok Ok , you guys don't have " ugly " drums.
They are beautiful shiny smoking marvels!
I have to buff up my UDS .
A thing that is so close to my heart should't be left to rust away in my rainforest backyard!
Do I have to sand it right down to bare metal to get a decent quality paintjob?

Cheers, Rocky

These pics crack me up. You guys are awesome, I wish I had that much time/creativity. Moving on, I've got a couple of questions-

1. My drum is ready except for the lid. The lid has a rubber seal. Should I remove that? It also has a clamp that I assume I'm going to not want to get hot, pitch it?
Yes remove the rubber gasket from the lid.

2. My lid is bungless. Huh huh huh. I thought about taking a 6in. damper and cutting a smaller hole in the lid. Use some hardware so it rotates. Any thoughts?
You can do that or....you could drill 8 1/2 inch holes in the lid

3. My Weber lid just sits on top, and I imagine cutting the bead will allow it to fit. Is that accurate?
Sorry I know nothing about that.

This is what I did went to home depot and got this ... Just show them the pic, then I took a step down bit and slowly drilled a hole so it could thread in works great then go to academy or something and buy a 3 dollar deep fryer turkey thermometer

PICT0002-9.jpg

Thanks for the help. Call me lazy, but 500 pages to sift through seems a bit much.

Good luck man

You said bungless! :-D

Definitely take out the seal. I just burned the crap outta mine, and it melted out....then I sanded it out, seasoned with a little veggie oil, and repainted the whole top of the lid with the same high-heat paint.

On my second drum, I actually turned the whole thing upside down, and use the flat lid, clamped on, as the actual bottom of the smoker. I cut the "bottom" out of the drum with a cold chisel, and put my lid on that end. That is pretty typical of most closed end drums. The open ends have the bigger lip, that is too big for an unmodified weber lid. The welded or rolled edge on the bottoms, usually accommodate a weber lid perfectly.

If you have already cut your holes and mounted grates, then you are too far along to try this out......but you can always make another one. :)

Back