I think my maverick is off

One probe is bad or off - switch ports and see if temps switch.

Is the cup filled with ice then topped off with water, your not touching the sides with probe, stirring?

I was touching ice right in the middle of the cup floating In Water . I think the meat side port is bad or something

Could be a bad port, try leaving them plugged in and in the water for 5 minutes. Sometimes there is a response delay.

Then do the same in boiling water.

I had a bad bbq probe, read good too 246 then it stopped. Would not go over 246.

Could be a bad port, try leaving them plugged in and in the water for 5 minutes. Sometimes there is a response delay.

Then do the same in boiling water.

I left both in the ice water for a while same thing I will try boiling water today. I would think both probes should at least be within a degree or 2

I've been fooling with this as I calibrate my Maverick temperature probes so I can take readings using an Arduino. I haven't gotten mine to read below 34°F using ice cubes in an ice water bath. An insulated cup might help. I was using a pyrex sauce pan. Crushed ice would also help, but my attempts at such using a meat tenderizer on a cutting board did not go well. :roll: Use as much ice as possible with just enough water to cover. Stir vigorously.

If you have an ET-732 you can swap probes. Can't do that with the ET-73 as the probes are different.

Switch ports or try boiling water.
that should get you pretty close to 212 degrees depending on elevation.

I for one am shocked to learn that a Maverick is is POS. :icon_smile_tongue:

hold your flames ...

I am goin to try boiling water . It seems that the food side port is bad. Now I'm kind of in a bad situation since I am supposed to be doin a pork butt for the Super Bowl party and my meat probe/port is screwed up

I am goin to try boiling water . It seems that the food side port is bad. Now I'm kind of in a bad situation since I am supposed to be doin a pork butt for the Super Bowl party and my meat probe/port is screwed up

Its a good thing bbq isn't cooked to temp. Just use the probe to check for tenderness. If that scares you buy a $10 big box store digital therm.

Back