THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

andre2955

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Craig
Greetings Brethren: I'm considering a UDS build. I currently use a large BGE and am after more cooking surface area and more portability. Can those who have built a UDS recommend a hardware kit?

udsparts.com has a ton of different parts. That have pre bundled kits and also sell the parts individually so you can taylor your drum to your specific needs.

I used the BPS kit. It's a great starter kit but if I were to do it over, I'd build NY own kit to have a larger coal basket, an adjustable grate system, and maybe a smoke stack for exhaust like hunsakerinstead of just 8 holes and a daisy wheel. I also wish I would have started with a stainless steel drum. there's a place in TN that has them for under $200 picked up and I got a buddy that lives close.

uds are simple. pretty much EVERYTHING you NEED can be found at lowes or home depot.

I second That! Just make sure if you use a flat lid, you leave enough room for putting normal bbq items on. I put my top rack on about an inch too high so certain things touch the lid when they tighten up during a cook.

I suppose I should add to this that when I built mine, I looked at a lot of designs and read some stuff on here, then planned and bought stuff. I know that there are kits, but I am a little frugal. I had to assess my abilities of construction which, being low, I needed something easy to build.

Last edited:
Back