MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:06 AM   #1
jhuyser
Full Fledged Farker

Default Water Smoker

Hello new to the site but loving it.. What would all of you recommend for "best bang for the buck" when it comes to a water smoker? Or possible insulated one?
jhuyser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuyser View Post
Hello new to the site but loving it.. What would all of you recommend for "best bang for the buck" when it comes to a water smoker? Or possible insulated one?
Without knowing your budget or intent of use ( comp, catering, backyard)..

I use mine dry but overall "bang for buck" I think you'll hear Weber Smokey Mountain come up quite a bit. $300 and a water smoker that just flat out cooks.
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Welcome to the site.

Hard to go wrong with a Weber Smokey Mountain. Lots of folks here get terrific results with theirs. Weber makes them in two sizes (big and bigger) and you can easily duplicate the design using a Smokey Joe to create a mini-WSM.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
jhuyser
Full Fledged Farker

Would like to do some competitions possibly some day. Alread have a brinkman offset firebox smoker. Looking for something that i can use for smoking in the winter's here in iowa. Takes a lot of fuel to keep the brinkman going at 15 degree weather :)

Old 01-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
ccarter
Full Fledged Farker

The WSMs have a lot of bang for the buck. If you decide to go that route, I highly recommended getting the larger one (22").

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ccarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #6
ccarter
Full Fledged Farker

As you can see in HankB's photo, WSMs can chug along very well even in low temps. BBQGuru makes an insulated cover for the WSMs.

If you have your heart set on insulated, and might do some competitions, definitely find a way to get a look at Backwoods. I went from the WSM to the BWS Party, and absolutely love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ccarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

best bang for the buck is definitely the WSM. I love mine. As for insulated, I prefer stumps but that is not a water cooker. Though you can just put a water pan in the chamber to add humidity.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

On the insulated side there are a lot of good choices. Since you are in Iowa take a look at the Spicewine smokers built in Columbia, MO. You can drive down there and pick it up when it is ready and save a lot on shipping.

Backwoods also makes some very good insulated smokers and there are a few Backwoods dealers who are members here. Check out the Brethren Ventures section for them.

There are lots of others, Stumps, Superior, Assassin and others.

There is an Assassin for sale by a member in NC in our General For Sale section...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=151118

There is also a member selling a beautiful home built Stumps clone, but it is in California...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=151357

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
jhuyser
Full Fledged Farker

Who generally has the best deals on the Smokey mountain? Also have any of you experimented with putting temp control system on one of these? if so what brand and style of controls?

Old 01-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #10
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Who generally has the best deals on the Smokey mountain? Also have any of you experimented with putting temp control system on one of these? if so what brand and style of controls?
Price is pretty much standardized across the US. Except for that crazy period last year when they went on some sale for some reason for like $49.00.

Because they are quite prominent on the competition circuit, most all systems have a WSM adapter.
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #11
jhuyser
Full Fledged Farker

Anyone have any good ideas on how to make a brinkman offset firebox smoker more air tight?

Old 01-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #12
Makeshift Chef
Found some matches.

Quote:
Anyone have any good ideas on how to make a brinkman offset firebox smoker more air tight?
I used some red atv high temp silicone on my COS. You can easily find it at autozone.
Makeshift Chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #13
jhuyser
Full Fledged Farker

what did you put around the doors to seal them?

Old 01-15-2013, 11:15 AM   #14
Makeshift Chef
Found some matches.

Quote:
what did you put around the doors to seal them?
Red atv high temp silicone as well. You put the silicone on and then either spray it with non stick cooking spray or use wax paper over it to prevent the doors from sticking together. Close the doors and let it sit for 24 hours. Makes an airtight seal fairly easily.
Makeshift Chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #15
jhuyser
Full Fledged Farker

thanks. i assume you just put the caulk on one side and when you shut it with the wax paper it spreads itsself out in order to fill the low areas in the seal?