MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
Tarheel
Full Fledged Farker

Default Time to stir the kcbs bod pot again!!

I will first start by telling those of you that don't know me my name is Roy Murray, I am Tarheel Smokers, I have been cooking comps for 10 years, I am a certified judge #3202, I am a KCBS member #8026, I am a contest organizer, I am a retired Costie, (Coast Guard) I currently own and operate a fireplace and grill shop, and I put my pants on one leg at a time. And foremost I am not running for the board.

I have been reading the post below about a group running for the board. What I am about to say is my opinion only and does not reflect that of anyone that I have not conspired with to do this.
I will be the first one to tell you that I am not happy with some of the performance of the current board. I have voiced my opinion to them on several occasions to the point I am now considered a trouble maker by some. I prefer the title of Pot Stirrer! It seems that the more you voice your opinion with some the less they like you. Oh well, life goes on. I have even stirred the pot here before with judges and coolers and taking food home.

There are a lot of things that go on with bod's and most of it the general population would not care about. There have been some things that this board has done that would make most do a double take. Prior boards have done the same thing and future boards will do the same. Some of it works out and some of it doesn't, that is just the way it works. Some people may think that going into executive session to discuss contracts or personal issues is back room dealing. It is no different on your county school board when they talk those type issues.

This board has done things like giving the Sams club tour a 20k slush fund to buy things that any other contest has to pay for. You have got board members getting paid to act as contest organizers for the marketing company that they put inplace with a contract. They have approved contest that had less than 90 days before the actual contest date. They have let a contest continue without insurance. The list can go on and all of it was done out in the open at a board meeting that is open for you to listen to and even call in and voice your opinion at.

Four of you want to run as a group so you can make changes and make it more transparent. Good luck with that. I am sure each of you mean well and have the best of intentions and some good ideas for this organization. There is no doubt that the KCBS needs help and I am sure each of you could contribute to that but you need to do it on your own individual merit. The board already has its little groups we don't need another little group. We need everyone working together for the common good of the KCBS.

Now to give credit where it is due as well, this board has done some good things and is to be commended for there accomplishments as well. Despite some of its misgivings the Sams Club event gave the KCBS some good exposure. MMA has done a very good job promoting the KCBS. Hopefully the new scoring system will help, the jury is still out. And that list could go on as well but I don't want to swell any heads or let them think I am a nice person.

Again, this is my opinion and does not reflect anyone else's. Thank you and Good night.
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

You forgot to mention Pork Collars.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #3
Tarheel
Full Fledged Farker

I knew there was something else!!!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:47 PM   #4
Dan - 3eyzbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Dan

Hey Roy-

As the president of a professional organization I think I understand where the group is going. Votes don't pass by individuals, so having internal support is the only way to institute change. So, you either get your allies early or you find them on the BOD. Just my 2cents.

I'm for the group ticket

Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, The Grill Center, Grizzly Coolers, Make it Meaty and Natures Own Charcoal
Dan - 3eyzbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:50 PM   #5
Jeff_in_KC

Thanks Dan! Roy, in regards to your comment, I think running on your own merits is a good idea. I did so in 2009 if you recall and came within 50 votes of being elected to a seat, narrowly losing to Paul Kirk for the fourth spot. I believe I have my credentials and I will put them up against any candidate's. HOWEVER, that being said, all four of us running on the so-called "ticket" have very, very similar ideas and goals for the board that I firmly believe would meet with the approval of most KCBS members. While it is impossible to agree with everyone on all issues all of the time, I believe you will appreciate and be able to support our platform and I hope we will have your support! Thanks!
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 10-25-2011, 09:56 PM   #6
Bunny
Full Fledged Farker

I've been on the BOD for six years and I think it's time to get these 4 on it. They would do a great justice for the BOD. I support you.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:17 PM   #7
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

From what Jeff, Steve and George have said I feel that we can all work together in getting more transparency and less BS on the BoD.

I'm looking at us as a group and I don't see a guy selling classes or books, I don't see where any of us can use the BoD to get juicy contest assignments because none of us are Reps, I don't see where any of us can use our positions to line our own pockets in any way, manner, shape or form.

Two of us do have a chance of making some money in BBQ - but only if their teams can get a few calls at a contest.

Are we always going to agree on every subject? Probably not, but I'm sure that each of the others will have good, solid reasons for their stance, as I will. Sometimes you just don't see eye to eye but you can still trust and respect the other guy because you know that he's giving his honest opinion.
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:32 AM   #8
Tarheel
Full Fledged Farker

Good morning bbq world, I love it when I can start the day with a positive and start the energy bus off right. I am so glad to see the comments so far. This can do nothing but bring the positive out.

I too can see where the group is trying to head with this as I have had many conversations over the years about what and where the KCBS should or should not be doing. The fact that the four of you are willing to put your words into action is more than I have done when it comes to running for the board.

My biggest concern is the fact that you have brought up that you have similar ideas and goals. My question for you is do those ideas and goals mesh with the ones that will be left on the board so that you can have that positive impact? Or is it going to be a clash of the minds and nothing ends up getting done?

I am sure that you all have the best intentions and truly want the organization to thrive and grow in the right direction. You keep bringing up the word transparency, I hope that you don't get hung up on that issue because I think once you get there you will find out that there is not that much going on that they don't divulge. There will always be the back scratching that goes on in any board. The four of you are already saying that by running as a group with common ideas and goals. I hope that if you get elected and the first time the four of you get together and hatch an idea you will look at which room you are in and is that idea what the general membership wants to happen.

I have strong opinions about what I think the KCBS should do but that is not always where or what it needs to go or do. I think that most on the board know this although it doesn't always get done that way. The four of you have to be observant and willing enough to send it in a direction that you may not totally agree with but is what is needed.

I am looking forward to the next round of discussion.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:54 AM   #9
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
I will first start by telling those of you that don't know me my name is Roy Murray, I am Tarheel Smokers, I have been cooking comps for 10 years, I am a certified judge #3202, I am a KCBS member #8026, I am a contest organizer, I am a retired Costie, (Coast Guard) I currently own and operate a fireplace and grill shop, and I put my pants on one leg at a time. And foremost I am not running for the board.

I have been reading the post below about a group running for the board. What I am about to say is my opinion only and does not reflect that of anyone that I have not conspired with to do this.
I will be the first one to tell you that I am not happy with some of the performance of the current board. I have voiced my opinion to them on several occasions to the point I am now considered a trouble maker by some. I prefer the title of Pot Stirrer! It seems that the more you voice your opinion with some the less they like you. Oh well, life goes on. I have even stirred the pot here before with judges and coolers and taking food home.

There are a lot of things that go on with bod's and most of it the general population would not care about. There have been some things that this board has done that would make most do a double take. Prior boards have done the same thing and future boards will do the same. Some of it works out and some of it doesn't, that is just the way it works. Some people may think that going into executive session to discuss contracts or personal issues is back room dealing. It is no different on your county school board when they talk those type issues.

This board has done things like giving the Sams club tour a 20k slush fund to buy things that any other contest has to pay for. You have got board members getting paid to act as contest organizers for the marketing company that they put inplace with a contract. They have approved contest that had less than 90 days before the actual contest date. They have let a contest continue without insurance. The list can go on and all of it was done out in the open at a board meeting that is open for you to listen to and even call in and voice your opinion at.

Four of you want to run as a group so you can make changes and make it more transparent. Good luck with that. I am sure each of you mean well and have the best of intentions and some good ideas for this organization. There is no doubt that the KCBS needs help and I am sure each of you could contribute to that but you need to do it on your own individual merit. The board already has its little groups we don't need another little group. We need everyone working together for the common good of the KCBS.

Now to give credit where it is due as well, this board has done some good things and is to be commended for there accomplishments as well. Despite some of its misgivings the Sams Club event gave the KCBS some good exposure. MMA has done a very good job promoting the KCBS. Hopefully the new scoring system will help, the jury is still out. And that list could go on as well but I don't want to swell any heads or let them think I am a nice person.

Again, this is my opinion and does not reflect anyone else's. Thank you and Good night.
I actually agree with the majority of the views you've expressed. I'll explain some of the areas or details where I disagree with you.

As for running as a group I agree to an extent, and understand the perception that some will have. However, the way that members cast votes does not require an all or nothing vote, and as a result the four of us do end up succeeding or failing based on our own merit. There are issues that we will not agree upon, and vote differently, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm comfortable in the personal integrity and honesty each of the other three candidates I've affiliated myself with have shown over the years.

I agree with the examples regarding executive session that you cited. Litigation, contracts, and personnel issues can all be legitimate reason to enter into executive session. However, there have been blatant instances in the past where executive session was clearly used as a tool to avoid scrutiny. That's just wrong, and whether anything illegal or immoral occurred the appearance of impropriety has damaged the trust and credibility that many members are now willing to place in the elected leadership. In some cases involving disciplinary matters the issue being discussed is so vague when looking at the agenda it's a disservice to those involved whether they've done something wrong or not. After the fact there is so little information available that there is often what amounts to a verdict of guilt by perception to the general membership. That is a disservice to everyone. If the board feels that they need to impose some form of penalty, let that be known as well as who it has been imposed on as well as making sure that the action taken is equitable to past offenses or follows the clear guidelines that I hope are put in place. Make those guidelines well known in advance.

I'll address one additional point that is closely related but I feel needs to be addressed separately. I understand your concern about 'groups', and I understand why you feel that way. A search of this forum will find some posts, made by me, that were critical of the entire board based on their collective conduct. I said it, I meant it then, and I mean it now. I hold the entire board accountable for the open and blatant disregard for common courtesy we've seen in the past several years. Individuals played their roles, but the board as a whole allowed it to reach the point that it did. Beyond a dysfunctional board, we developed a divided membership. If elected myself and the three other candidates that I'm running with will attempt to introduce some new ideas, leadership, and a willingness to work with others and compromise when beneficial to the membership and organization yet remain true to our beliefs and principles when needed. I understand the math involved. It's our hope that in the first year we can demonstrate what is possible to other like minded members so that they may decide that it's worth their time to run, serve for a limited time, and improve the organization for the benefit of all. I hope that way of thinking has some merit in your opinion.

Either way, I appreciate your time and willingness to be involved in the process by sharing your views.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:01 AM   #10
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
There is no new system. Just a computer program to enter scores and to hopefully upload to the database for TOY scores.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #11
Tarheel
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
There is no new system. Just a computer program to enter scores and to hopefully upload to the database for TOY scores.
Yes, I think you are correct it is a new program, that I don't know all the fine details but I think will also keep track of judges as well and there scores as well. I do know it is a rather large contract that was signed by the board for it.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:41 PM   #12
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

I appreciate your point of view. Running as a group may hurt us or may help us only time will tell. At least it's out in the open and you know that the 4 of us share some ideas and goals and it's not some back room secret clique.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #13
Tarheel
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ View Post
I appreciate your point of view. Running as a group may hurt us or may help us only time will tell. At least it's out in the open and you know that the 4 of us share some ideas and goals and it's not some back room secret clique.
You are right only time will tell. And like I said in an earlier post, if you do get elected and the four of you hatch that first deal you will look to see what room you are in. Just make sure it is about the KCBS and not about trying to breaking up a clique. Or getting pork collar legalized!
Old 10-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #14
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
You are right only time will tell. And like I said in an earlier post, if you do get elected and the four of you hatch that first deal you will look to see what room you are in. Just make sure it is about the KCBS and not about trying to breaking up a clique. Or getting pork collar legalized!
Personally I'm hoping that they DO get pork collar legalized
ique is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 10-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #15
Tarheel
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
Personally I'm hoping that they DO get pork collar legalized
I thought that was just a west coast thing , I didn't you know you knew what that was. Just kidding