• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How well do you know your woods...???

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Here are twelve pictures of different smoke woods...how many can you identify? Answers are at the bottom of the page...no cheating! :p

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_7242.jpg

1. pecan 2. red oak 3. apricot 4. oak wine barrel 5. apple 6. peach 7. orange 8. alder 9. almond 10. hickory 11. mesquite 12. cherry

I got 7 out of 12, and I must say that if you can tell the difference between, Hickory, Pecan and Almond on those pieces, you really need to stop looking at wood. Those 3 are so close.

I suck at this...

I got 3 of twelve. The rest fell into categories such as WTF, Hmmm...., That's interesting, and That looks like ceramic tile

I suck at this...

I got 3 of twelve. The rest fell into categories such as WTF, Hmmm...., That's interesting, and That looks like ceramic tile
You suck? I only got 1 right. At least I recognised the one I do most of my woodprojects with. Oak

LOL!! I just realized my rank just changed to "Got wood" (Even if he does have to read the label on the package)...

This tread may be road map material? Thanks, JD for taking the time!
Maybe others can share pics of the same woods, JD, since they vary visually geographically?

Thanks JD, Now I feel really stupid,I only got 2 of them right, and one of them was a guess and the other one was the wine barrel that was obvious.Thanks for the test!

12 out of 12 but i cheated!

actually got 2/12 right without referring to the end....

as an aside, a buddy needs an apple tree cut down so i will be in apple wood for a while!!!

lol... this is funny... i find myself driving by people's houses (that have just cut their tree up and it's sitting out ready for pickup), and am constantly wondering what type of tree that is and can i use it... i was gonna make some sort of "quick reference guide" (to carry with me) with pics of different local woods to help me... so this thread coming up may actually aid to that... thank you!

I got 7, thought #3 was cherry too. Never smoked nor been around anyone using apricot, orange, alder, or almond

woodtest.jpg

I got 7 right, but are you sure #3 is not cherry?? It looks more like it than #12. Here is some of my cherry​

IMG_0335a.jpg

Yep...I'm sure...most of our cherry up here looks like that...a very smooth bark. Most of the fruitwood came from eastern Washington where all the orchards are. More than likely it was fall pruning...:p

The Cherry JD has is from an actual fruit bearing cherry tree.

The cherry Wayne and most of us are used to is actually referred to as Wild Cherry or Black Cherry. :biggrin:

BTW....8 out of 12.
I've never used Alder and the #3 fooled me also. :roll:

Not so hot here, 1 of 12. I even missed the mesquite, which should be a sin here in Central Texas. Bark looked a lot different on it and so did the pecan. Do you know what kind of pecan tree?

Back