MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:22 PM   #76
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightSmoker View Post
Perfect timing reading this thread. I have been doing small drop off catering gigs using just my Jumbo BDS but next season I want to step it up and do medium to large size on-site gigs. I have kicked around all kinds of cookers from the Spicewine trailer to the Lang 84. I have likes and dislikes about each one. I need a cooker I can keep in my garage so it will be safe and sound. My issue with the Lang is that Wood is not as available here in Northern California as it is in most of your areas. Clean-up might be a bit of a hassle also. My issue with the Spicewine is that I am a traditionalist and I can’t get past the thought that it looks more like an oven then a smoker. Don’t get me wrong, there are many things I like about each of these cookers and I would be happy with either one I’m sure.
So let me throw another cooker into the mix. I am seriously looking at the Meadow Creek Pig Roaster trailer. It burns charcoal that is laid flat cross the bottom so the heat should be pretty well balanced. With the second rack the capacity is very good, and it cooks all meats, not just whole hogs. It has a full length drip pan that directs the dripping out of the cooker and it looks more traditional then the cabinet cookers. I have read reviews stating it easy to keep a steady temp and the burn time is long. With the upgraded extra doors and smoke stacks I think it would help with the “Show” aspect of the event. Any opinions?
Speaking of timing, first off eventually going to get into catering just not yet. I JUST TALKED to a local guy here in Lancaster City, PA who runs a small, urban, Que joint and also caters. Heck of a nice guy, Dan the Man BBQ. Cooks EVERYTHING on a Meadowcreek PR72 that will run on propane or charcoal due a conversion pan. Has a second tier rack, stopped by the other night while working and he was showing me his pit. He uses a combo of charcoal and wood and absolutely loves the pit. He said once you use a Meadowcreek you won't want to use anything else. I'm sure he would be willing to talk to you, check phone listings for Dan the Man BBQ in Lancaster, PA. Good luck.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:37 PM   #77
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've been struggling with the same question for a few months now. I have decided to go with the new "Extreme Smoker" from James Stephens (Extreme BBQ Trailers)...having met James recently at the Jack and given the opportunity to view some plans and build pics I am very impressed with what I have seen so far. One or two of his smokers and a Santa Maria Grill on a trailer is how I plan to roll for catering gigs.

Hey James...is it done yet?
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 10-31-2010, 06:07 PM   #78
fireman_pete
Full Fledged Farker

Our every day smoker for catering is an FEC100.

Recently picked up a Meadowcreek PR60, and really like it too.

I got the Meadowcreek for larger jobs where the FEC could not cook all the meat. With the second tier rack, I can get almost 40 butts or 20 briskets on the Meadowcreek.

Take a little getting used to (remember I have been cooking on an FEC100 for the past year) but once I got the hang of it, it cooks great.

Mine loves to cook around 250-275 which is perfect for me!

Pete
fireman_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:02 PM   #79
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
I've been struggling with the same question for a few months now. I have decided to go with the new "Extreme Smoker" from James Stephens (Extreme BBQ Trailers)...having met James recently at the Jack and given the opportunity to view some plans and build pics I am very impressed with what I have seen so far. One or two of his smokers and a Santa Maria Grill on a trailer is how I plan to roll for catering gigs.

Hey James...is it done yet?
JD,

Happy for you Brother, those trailers are amazing. Would love to see pics and get a ball park cost when you get it. Looking at dropping a considerable sum in a few years to enter the market. Good luck
Old 10-31-2010, 07:54 PM   #80
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42BBQ View Post
JD,

Happy for you Brother, those trailers are amazing. Would love to see pics and get a ball park cost when you get it. Looking at dropping a considerable sum in a few years to enter the market. Good luck
I agree...his trailers ARE amazing...I would absoultely love one...but for now I'm just starting off with one his new Extreme Smokers. I plan to use it for catering and perhaps competition next season.

My wife and I would like to ease in to more catering and less day job over the next few years...if all goes well James will be building a custom Extreme Trailer for us in the near future...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #81
getyourrubonbbq
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42BBQ View Post
JD,

Happy for you Brother, those trailers are amazing. Would love to see pics and get a ball park cost when you get it. Looking at dropping a I can considerable sum in a few years to enter the market. Good luck

42BBQ, I'll send you some photos once we've got the prototype complete and test runs have been done. Right now pricing is $3195. Give me a shout if you have any questions.
[URL="http://www.extremebbqtrailers.com"]www.extremebbqtrailers.com[/URL]
getyourrubonbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #82
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

No question, FEC 500. I just bought my second one.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:44 PM   #83
bobrbw
Got rid of the matchlight.

i am the manager and cook of a catering and take out place in pittsburgh pa.we use three 6 foot southern yankees and can accomidate 3-4 on sites a day plus drop off service for catering and still cook for takeout.
bobrbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #84
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

I'm surprised Ole Hick CTO's or Southern pride 300 on a trailer hasn't been mentioned, they can handle the greater volume of food.
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote