Fruit Woods

Rightstuff

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've read several threads where people were talking about "the best way to season fruit woods". I was told that you do not season fruit woods, only hard woods. The point of using fruit woods was they are softer and the oils and such in the wood is what gives the smoked meat their flavor. One person told me that he won't use fruit wood after it sat for more than 7-10 days. He cuts it and uses it within 2 - 4 days. Any thoughts?

It's all relative to what type of cooker it's burning in. Depending on size, I give it 3-6 months. ANd have used year old pecan with great results. The smokers with higher temp fires seem to handle the fresh wood best.

i use it fresh & what ends up laying around seasons until i get to it- i notice no difference.the only "fruitwood" i season is the bradford pear & beech because of the size of the limbs.you can also lay a couple splits on top of the firebox (if you have an offset) to kind of cheat heat it a bit.i hope all that made sense.:icon_blush:

Last edited:
7-10 days sounds really, really restrictive to me.

If you are using fruit woods for flavor, meaning you have hard woods or charcoal for the main heat source, they can be used soon after cutting. No need for a lot of aging.
The flavor does deteriorate with age, but I am thinking in "months" not "days".

Good Luck,

TIM

would you please send me that old seven day wood?Softer yes, full of green taste, yes. I like older wood, tastes better, wins more contests. Steve.

I think what's been said sums it up pretty good. But ultimately it comes down to personal preference. I like aged wood for the flavor.

Back