Comps and generators.

chibi

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Here in Colorado they do not allow the use of generators. Is that the way everywhere? Anyone have a clue as to why they would not allow them? I have one set up in my trailer that is very quiet.I would rather not have to pay for electricty.

Pay for electricity???
Sounds like bullchit, someones trying to make some coin!
If they're not supplying FREE electric, the geny goes! :evil:

We get electricity included at every contest up here but folks still use generators depending on how big their set up is. I know the poohbah runs his honda all weekend but that thing is so whisper quiet you would hardly know.

We get electricity included at every contest up here but folks still use generators depending on how big their set up is. I know the poohbah runs his honda all weekend but that thing is so whisper quiet you would hardly know.

I pay for electric every time, but how many people dont and still use it? I think a DQ would be in order, what do you think.

electricity is your bitch thing to handle, not every one has a honda gen and some are farking load hard to sleep that may be why kcbs rules quiet time 11:00 pm

I used my obnoxiously loud coleman at a cookoff once and there were several folks there who would probably slice my throat if I tried to do it a second time. That was my first and only cookoff to use that generator.

I would much rather pay for electricity. The last time I ran my generator utilizing my A/C, I think I put 20 gallons (that is about $75 now days) in it for the weekend. That margarita machine last year at traders village consumed massive amounts of electricity too.

So following that cookoff I purchased a Kipor 3500Ti (3KW) on advice from some folks here on the forum. I like it a lot. It is quiet and can handle my A/C unit on my travel trailer.

If I could have one more feature on the Kipor, I would take a larger fuel tank. While running my A/C which we do quite often here in TX, I can only get about 6 hours running time.

I purchased it online through Amazon for $999 which included shipping. The best part about the generator isnt that it is so quiet, I like the fact that it provides such clean power. Not only did my coleman make load noise, it fried my daughters computer too. Thank goodness for warranties. It looks like the price is about $1500 now.

I cut and pasted this from the Amazon website:

This is the new Kipor model IG3000. This model also was called the KGE3000Ti and KGE3500Ti before. It is covered by Kipor North America for a 2 years national warranty available in many service dealers across US and Canada. It can start a 15,000 BTU rooftop RV air conditioner. Built-in 30 AMP twist lock receptacle (l5-30R) on this generator; Industrial steel metal chassis; Rated Frequency (Hz): 60; Rated Voltage (V): 120; Rated Current (A): 23.3; Rated Rotation Speed (rpm): 3600; Rated Output Power (W): 2800; Max. Output Power (W): 3000; DC Output: 12V-8.3A; Phase Numbers: Single phase; Fuel Tank Capacity: 3.5 gallons; Engine Type: Single cylinder, 4-stroke, overhead valve gasoline engine; Rated Power [kW (PS)/rpm] 4.0(5.5)/3600; Rated Rotation Speed (rpm): 3600; Starting System: Electric with pull start backup; Fuel Type: Unleaded gasoline; Fuel Consumption (g/kW.h): 395; Low Oil Warning: Engine stops automatically when oil runs low; Noise level(dB(A))/ 20 feet: 56 (no load), 57 (1/4 load), 62 (full load); EPA Certified Engine - 200cc OHC ,single cylinder, 4-stroke, air-cooled, low emission. Kipor Sinemaster digital inverter generators have a built-in computer monitoring the voltage and load constantly. They are a type of "Smart Generator". The voltage is constantly adjusted to maintain 120V by the computer inverter module. Kipor can automatically regulate the engine speed according to the load, so the fuel consumption of digital generator sets is 20%-40% lower than traditional sets, so the running time is therefore much longer as well. The noise level is further reduced at lower running speeds. Sinemaster digital inverter generators have a new two-tiered noise dampening system, so the noise emitted by these generators is 6-9 dB less than traditional generators. This translates to 4 to 8 times quieter than conventional generators. This meets the new noise ordinances that some state and national parks have adopted.

fix for loud generators

Having dealt with this problem often, I have a cheap. quick fix for those obnoxious so-called factory quiet mufflers found on most generators;most Japanese excluded. Most chain type auto parts houses sell cheap mufflers, from $15.00 to $25.00.buy one. Next get flex exhaust tubing and a small piece of tubing that fits inside the flex, a couple of rad. or exhaust clamps. Now weld spud over existing muffler outlet, connect flex to muffler and flex to outlet,clamp and now you have the quietest muffler for the money. To totally quiet things, build portable shield out insulation for valve noise. In most areas of the country, this is a fix less than fifty bucks.

Having dealt with this problem often, I have a cheap. quick fix for those obnoxious so-called factory quiet mufflers found on most generators;most Japanese excluded. Most chain type auto parts houses sell cheap mufflers, from $15.00 to $25.00.buy one. Next get flex exhaust tubing and a small piece of tubing that fits inside the flex, a couple of rad. or exhaust clamps. Now weld spud over existing muffler outlet, connect flex to muffler and flex to outlet,clamp and now you have the quietest muffler for the money. To totally quiet things, build portable shield out insulation for valve noise. In most areas of the country, this is a fix less than fifty bucks.

Very good solution.

You still need to concern yourself with clean power if using some of the hi-tech gear we currently utilize.

good idea!! what do you do about the team playing music so loud at 3am that you cant hear the lightning crack?:!:

Electric is pretty cheap at most contest in the mid Atlantic- usually around $25. A few are free. When I look at the cost of a quiet generator and the price of gas, I can buy a lot of elec. hook ups for that price.

Problem I had before getting the generator, was running a full sized fridge and water heater from an extension cord. the fridges wouldnt get cold and if the heater kicked on, it would blow the circuit. Unless you get a 9-10 gauge, 100 foot cord, the voltage drop is to steep with one of the standard backyard cords. If your running just a few lights suing contest voltage, then it doesn' t matter, but the damage done to due to low voltage on fridges and A/C's can get costly. thats why I run the generator now.. This past contest, I ran around the clock with under 10 gallons of gas for 3 days.

Kevin, yes Phil has a Honda. I was 2 sites away from his at Salisbury and never heard the generator once. While visiting his site, you could hardldy hear the gen. running. I'm going to have to look into one of those. I'm doing a small comp. this weekend in Conowingo, MD and electricity is not available. A friend of mine is bringing a Honda generator and said that I can tap into it.

We've got a Honda 300ti, and run it for vending. I've had people ask me how I was getting power. They couldn't hear it. We have our front trailer door at the very front of the trailer, and it swings to the front so that when you leave it latched open, it blocks the Honda sitting on the tongue. Makes it really quite!

Back