Repainting smoker

MAsQue

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My trailer mounted smoker (a picture of which I'm going to try to attach) is need of some repainting. Before I go borrowing my neighbor's compressor and my cousin's sandblaster and start on a project that is going to have me ignoring the home repairs I really should be doing, I thought I'd ask if anyone in the New York area has ever had a smoker repainted professionally, like by a body shop. The only place I found so far that would do it (and I admit I haven't hit every body shop on Long Island) wanted $1800. Given that I could buy one new for $3100, this seems a bit steep. I searched for "repaint" in the forum archives, and it looks like most people have done their own repainting. Is that the best way to go?

Thanks for your advice,

Attachments

• eb_1.jpe
    eb_1.jpe
    31.3 KB · Views: 218
Gran some hi heat paint and have at it. Should be only a few hours work. I wonder if you can get these things powder coated??? S

Yes sir. DIY just remember that he prep work is key to a long lasting paint job. Especially the de-greasing before the new paint goes on. Rustolium Hi Temp quarts at HD look great. Or you could go with Stove Brite for other colors.

Brotha that's friggin' crazy:shock: ....Look at my avitar it's the Texas Legend by Gator pits....It's 35 ft. long and as big around as a 747........I took an el-cheapo grinder with a wire wheel (actually several wire wheels) :wink: and took the whole thing to the bare metal....I then bought a gallon of mineral spirits and some clean rags and wiped till the rags came out clean.Next I took an el-cheapo paint sprayer $50 at H.D. and my little compressor I use for doing carpentry work, 6 qt's of rustoleum bbq blk (also at home depot $12 per qt. I think) and there you go just like new!!!
Even if you don't have a compressor and gun they make the stuff in the spray can...it may cost u a bit more in the spray can but I can guarontee it ain't $1800 smakers!!:mrgreen: BTW It only took me a long hard weekend to do the Legend I imagine you can get done much quicker!!

Go on get your hands dirty!!:biggrin:

It's all in the prep work. Sand it down, then wipe down with naptha or equivelant, then tack rag it, then apply primer, then look for any imperfections you cant live with and address those areas. Then prime it again, then apply your finish.....or just grind it down and brush on some hi temp rustoleum.....

You dont need a primer for high temp paints. As far as I know there isnt a high temp primer. So most likely if you used a primer your paint would not last as long. That is unless you you have a insulated cooker ie Spicewine.

I had mine repainted. Actually the guy who borrowed it and had a massive grease fire in it had it done. Don't know the cost though. He wouldn't tell me. First time in my life that someone farked up something of mine and had it fixed properly.

Like the others have mentioned, don't scrimp on the prep work. A proper blast will give the steel an even profile to anchor the paint. I would rather have a professional blast job, then save money by painting myself if that part of the cost is too high.

Or since it is trailer mounted, run it over to Earl Sheib's. When I was in high school they would paint anything for $99. Of course that was 34 years ago. :mrgreen:

Brotha that's friggin' crazy:shock: ....Look at my avitar it's the Texas Legend by Gator pits....It's 35 ft. long and as big around as a 747........I took an el-cheapo grinder with a wire wheel (actually several wire wheels) :wink: and took the whole thing to the bare metal....I then bought a gallon of mineral spirits and some clean rags and wiped till the rags came out clean.Next I took an el-cheapo paint sprayer $50 at H.D. and my little compressor I use for doing carpentry work, 6 qt's of rustoleum bbq blk (also at home depot $12 per qt. I think) and there you go just like new!!!
Even if you don't have a compressor and gun they make the stuff in the spray can...it may cost u a bit more in the spray can but I can guarontee it ain't $1800 smakers!!:mrgreen: BTW It only took me a long hard weekend to do the Legend I imagine you can get done much quicker!!

Go on get your hands dirty!!:biggrin:

What he said!

Thanks, everyone, for your comments.

I agree that at $1800 either the paint shop owner is crazy or he thinks I am. (On the other hand, I seem to run into more and more people who, rather than tell you they don't have time for a job or just aren't interested in doing it, quote you some outrageous price knowing you'll refuse it. I don't understand it though - If you're too busy now, I might come back to you for something else later, but jerk me around now and I'll never bother with you again.)

If I could have found someone to do the job for a couple of hundred bucks, I would have gladly paid it just so I could complete the finish carpentry in the new living room and start ripping out the old bathroom (expanding my kitchen) and still have the paint job done by our next comp over the July 4th weekend. I guess I just have to get my priorities straight. Looks like I'm getting out the compressor and the sandblaster and putting the tarp down in the driveway over the weekend.

Thirdeye - I can't remember the last time I heard the name "Earl Scheib", although I think there used to still be one in Brooklyn. You're showing your age on that one! :biggrin: Truth be told, I can remember when the price was $59.95, so I guess I'm a little bit longer in the tooth than you are.

Back