Church que. how much meat

tulsatkd

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
We are having a bbq a church , and I have been asked to make some pulled pork. There will also be a brisket , ribs and other sides there. We are expecting around 150 people. How much meat do u think I will need? Also, unless I get my UDS up and running, I have very limited space on my pit and would probably have to break the cook up into two sessions. What do you guys think would be the best way to handle this?

Pulled pork reheats well Are you only doing pulled pork? If its for 150 people and there are more meat and sides besides the pulled pork I would say you could get away with 4oz per person or 4 people per lb of meat.

so 150/4 you would need about 38lbs of cooked meat and assuming you lose 50% to cooking and fat rendering I would go with 80lbs raw

Just my .02

+1 on the 80 lbs raw. I did a cook in June. I got a little over 80 lbs of butts from Sams Club and got 160, 4 oz sandwiches out of it

+2 on the 80 raw. You are more than likely going to have quite a few leftovers, but mom taught me to never run out of food. As for splitting up your cooks, that should be no issue. I just did a big cook for work and cooked it all up ahead of time, multiple cooks, and reheated in crockpots and nescoes with a little apple juice and pineapple juice for moisture. Sprinkle a little more seasoning on as you warm it up. If you are planning on cooking more than 3 days early, vacuum seal and if you plan to hold more than 6 days, freeze and then thaw before your event. Good luck!

Another +1 on 80 pounds raw. Pull the pork after its rest and seal it in foodsaver bags then refrigerate. Then heat up some water and drop the bags in.

I did pulled pork for 60 at church a couple of months ago. Cooked 6 butts about 8 pounds each. Wound up serving a little over 4 and froze the rest in pans for a month until pot luck dinner. That would extrapolate to about ten 8 pounders.

Thanks guys. What temp do I need to reheat the butt to before I can pull it with out drying it out

+1 on 80 lb raw (although I usually get closer to 40% waste)

Just as Twelveguagepump, reheat with apple juice and/or pineapple juice to keep it moist.

If you're going to reheat IN the crock pots or roasters, watch for scorching, keep stirring it and extra moisture is critical. If you're going to reheat in ovens or smokers, I'd do it as low temp as possible, depending on time., at or just below 200. Again, reheating at higher temps, I'd just stir it around more often to keep it reheating evenly. Then just HOLD the reheated meat at a lower temp, stirring often and keeping the roaster/crock pot full.

Back