• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Portion size

sunrise

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What does everyone consider a fair size portion size for meat (pulled pork, tri tip, pulled chicken) on a sandwich? 4 oz, 5oz, or more?

For me it depends on the type of bun since you want a good ratio of bread to meat. I typically use a regular soft white 4" bun and 4 oz of meat. If it's heartier bread or a larger bun, 5 or 6 oz may be more appropriate.

I guess it would also depend on the serving situation. Is it a big vending event serving a crowd with a lot of sides and other meat choices, or are you talking about the sandwich as a meal at a sit down joint?

We sell primarily at festival style events and use a 4" white bun with 5-6 oz of pulled pork/brisket (we don't weigh up portions but I got a mean eye for the right amount with tongs...lol). We charge $6/sammie. The larger amount of meat helps the customer feel like they are getting a good portion for their money.

Note: We don't advertise the sammie as having a specific amount of oz's to avoid the "Hey that is 1/2 an ounce short of what you advertise" comments. I have often wondered if that "customer" carries a calibrated scale in their back pocket to all events. :shocked:

I would say it depends on what you are charging. But, I consider the classic to be the CWB, 4" size and 4 ounces of meat. However, is a sit down situation, or a place where there are other sandwich shops, you need to be around 6 ounces of meat to look good.

we do primarily farmers markets, use a 4" bun, I agree with making a "good sandwich", and if it looks bigger even better. We have been charging $ 6.00, so I think more meat would be good.

I have my new promotion, if I ever decide to cook for money again. A 6 ounce sandwich for $6, and $1 for each ounce over that.

we do primarily farmers markets, use a 4" bun, I agree with making a "good sandwich", and if it looks bigger even better. We have been charging $ 6.00, so I think more meat would be good.

Thanks for posting this Sunrise.

I am serving a couple markets this year for a first.

I've got a question for you guys who do BBQ for a business. Why is it that most bbq joints' portion size on their sides (potato salad, slaw, beans etc.) seem to be extremely small? I know the standard answer is "cost" but would it really sink a business to increase the portion size to more than two or three spoon fulls? Is the profit margin that thin?

One of the biggest complaints I hear from people who eat at bbq restaurants is not about the meat but about how crazy small the portion size of the sides. I was just wondering.

I do 8oz sides at my restaurant, not small at all. But yes, depending on volume and price point, a few extra spoon's of a side if you are doing a few hundred sides a day can make you sink or swim.

I do 8oz sides at my restaurant, not small at all. But yes, depending on volume and price point, a few extra spoon's of a side if you are doing a few hundred sides a day can make you sink or swim.

That's a good portion size right there. There are several Q joints in my area who serve a portion size that after two or three teaspoon bites is gone. Coming from a consumer standpoint, if I'm paying $12.99 for a "small rib plate" I at least better get a healthy portion of sides or it is no longer worth my money.

But, yeah, 8 oz is a generous portion. Good on you. :clap:

Back