Are the Thermapens really that good?

DubfromGA

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I see the Thermapens highly used by many Brethren.

What makes the Thermapen superiour to the $25 models from Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. ??????

Accuracy?

Faster reads?

Durable?

I need something that I can use to get checks on what I'm cookiing periodically.

I use the ET-732 to give me a running watch on my internals but I'd like something faster on the faster stuff like boneless breasts or steaks. Raise the lid....take a fast read...then lid back down.

I'm tired of overcooking steaks. Having a good read would be super.

I don't mind paying for one.....if it's going to hold up and perform steady for years.

Yes. They are that good. They are faster than any 'cheap' alternative. Whether or not that extra speed is relevant is up to the buyer. I have a Thermapen and the Maverick PT-100. I like the PT-100 myself and I still have both but the Thermapen has moved into my girlfriend's kitchen to be her candy thermometer... I also think the thermapen is probably a 'tad' faster than the PT-100 and maybe 1 degree more accurate. So basically, I think they are equal. Here's my comparison video on those two products:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNb_3NnsvRA"]Maverick PT-100 vs Thermapen - YouTube[/ame]

Cool.

Thanks for the insight.

Getting one. A gazzillion satisfied Brethren can't be wrong. :)

Last edited:
You won't be sorry. I use mine nearly every time I grill or BBQ. It will change the way you cook. No more over-cooked steaks as you said.

Now some on here will tell you that you should be able to look at a steak on the grill from 100 yards away and tell if it is done just by looking at it. I'm not that good YET so I rely on my ultra-fast Packer green Thermapen for good results every time.

I personally think the Thermapen is worth every penny for both accuracy and time. I don't have a Maverick PT-100 which is probably the next best alternative, but I can tell you that the Thermapen really shines in how fast it reads which also adds to its accuracy because you know what he see is the final temp. A couple of things you can do to increase the accuracy is one, when you insert it pull it back about halfway out again before you read it to ensure you not against a bone or influenced by grate temp, two calibrate it and adjust it for accuracy. The Thermapen allows you to actually make adjustments to the readings which is something most of the cheaper alternatives don't.

http://www.thermoworks.com/pdf/Thermapen_Original_Calibration_Manual.pdf

BTW - when it comes to steaks and the like, I never use a thermometer. I test them by touch [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8YQX-QgbXc"]touch[/ame].

I tried several cheaper ones but finally ended up with the thermapen and it is definately worth the extra money.

Yes. They are that good. They are faster than any 'cheap' alternative. Whether or not that extra speed is relevant is up to the buyer. I have a Thermapen and the Maverick PT-100. I like the PT-100 myself and I still have both but the Thermapen has moved into my girlfriend's kitchen to be her candy thermometer... I also think the thermapen is probably a 'tad' faster than the PT-100 and maybe 1 degree more accurate. So basically, I think they are equal. Here's my comparison video on those two products:

Maverick PT-100 vs Thermapen - YouTube

i also have both the TP and PT-100 and i acually use both regularly. i got my PT-100 for $40 and you just cant beat that for the price. i probably use my TP more often because its a bit faster and seems more responsive. my only problem with the TP is it DOES NOT have a screen that lights up so when i'm using it outside at night(very often) its harder to see the display. this is the #1 reason why my PT-100 gets used regularly. On the other hand, the TP uses a lithium battery that will last a VERY long time. Before i pulled the trigger on my TP i was hesitant because almost $100 seemed like a lot of money for a weekend warrior like myself but i bought the TP and i'm glad i did. you'll be happy if you buy one also. no shame in the PT-100, either, it's also a nice product.

I have the 2nd generation red thermapen. It's twice as fast All the others ever made. They are worth every penny. No more overcooked steaks, hamburgers or chicken breasts when grilling also. Works great for checking different parts if the brisket although I go by probe tender in the end, the temperature is just a guideline.

Are they worth it? That's for you to decide. 90 to 100 bucks is a ton for just a thermometer.

Unless its a red one and then its worth every penny.

I got mine as a gift, rarely cook without it. Even use it to check the temp of my beer.

Any thermocoupler thermometer will do the job well.

I am a Maverick guy. BBQ is a nighttime/daytime sport. The display is SOOOOO much better at 3 am.

One time I went to bed with a Maverick and woke up with a thermopen.......

I have 3 of them. Lost my first one somewhere but not sure where.

Our county health dept. inspector swears by them. I help operate a commercial kitchen in our small community. I bake chicken several times a year. I love the speed of my Thermapen.

Back