St. Louis or baby back ribs?

L

LittleDick'sBBQ

Greetings,

I just called my local meat slinger. I asked for four racks of St. Louis cut ribs, equal size racks, to smoke. The person on the phone replied, "oh, we call those baby back." I said, "no, I want St. Louis, the big ribs away from the spine." After going through two others on the phone, I was told by the meat-cutter that they have St. Louis, they're frozen, and they're 2.3-2.5 pounds per rack.

Are these St. Louis? Are they too small? Is it OK if they were frozen? Help

Thank you,
Little Dick

I would find a different meat slinger to do business with.

"oh, we call those baby back."

Are they farking with you, or just plain stupid?
Just buy some full spares and cut them yourself to make your own
St. Leweys! You will pay more per pound for the pre-cut ribs which will bring the price up to about the same as the full spares, and you won't have the additional rib tips to enjoy!

I just looked at the 2 racks of St. Louis that I have in the freezer. They're both right at 3#'s each. I've used frozen ribs without any issue, although others will disagree.

Matt

Yup, I've gotten big packages of ribs for gifts from people, and no need to cook them right away, so they go in the freezer. Never had any complaints, don't taste much different. "we call those baby backs..." ???? must be the teenage son working for dad or something. That's a penalty, + 15 yards in my book....

I usually buy my ribs from my local grocer and they are either frozen or have been frozen. I think they are Hormel, with the large bone across the top. I actually do not cut them down unless it is for a competition because there is a lot of good meat there that my friends don't mind dealing with. i have also trimmed it and smoked it seperate, but either way they always turn out good. So, long story short, buy the 7-9 lb pack, freeze it, cook it, eat it. It will taste good.

Just buy some full spares and cut them yourself to make your own
St. Leweys! You will pay more per pound for the pre-cut ribs which will bring the price up to about the same as the full spares, and you won't have the additional rib tips to enjoy!

BCH,

I am interested in knowing more about this option. HOW do I cut them down? What cutting tool do I use?

Thanks,
Little Dick

2.3 - 2.5 lbs is an OK size. I like to get St. Louis trimmed spares that are between 2.5 and 3 lbs. See if he'll let you pick the bigger ones.

BCH,

I am interested in knowing more about this option. HOW do I cut them down? What cutting tool do I use?

Thanks,
Little Dick

I use a knife. You can feel along the main bones where they stop and the feather bones start. That's where I make a parallel cut down the slab with the side that's been sawed during processing. Usually some small feather bones will remain. The feather bones or rib tips are very soft cartilage and are easy to cut through.

Learn to trim full spares to St. Louis style - you won't bother getting pre-cut ribs ever again.

They are really easy to cut down. Even the first time, it only took me a few minutes and you get a LOT of extra yummy chef's treats, some of my favorite parts of the ribs actually.

Buy the whole rack, trim them yourself, use the trimmings for cook's snacks and/or in beans, etc. Best bang for your buck. It's easy to do, even I can do it!

When I'm buying St Louis style ribs, I try to look for racks in the 3.25-3.5 lb range, so I'd say those are quite small. I want meat on my bones!

Tell 'em that St. Louis cut are spares, and bb backs are back ribs and that they
don't come from the same place on the hog. Then, if your results are the same as in
the op,..give them the #number of the local job service..or economic retraining...er...
maybe the middle digit.

In Iowa we have Fareway stores; about once a month they have spares for $1.99/lb. Also, check Sam's Club if you have one in the area. Costco is nicer, but Sam's tends to be cheaper. I can get 3 slabs of spares vac-packed for $2.29/lb all the time. Cut'em down to SLC's and enjoy the spare parts in beans or as snacks.

Greetings,

SOooooo.... I picked up my "St. Louis cut ribs" today (NOT baby backs....aren't they the same thing?? "We call those baby backs...") and HERE's what I got:

232323232%7Ffp73499%3Enu%3D47%3A9%3E%3A45%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D347485%3A4%3B534%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp73472%3Enu%3D47%3A9%3E%3A45%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D347485%3A4%3B634%3Anu0mrj

What the farc?? Guess I'll shut up & smoke 'em....and NOT trust this market to know what MEAT is!!

Little Dick

They'll still be good. I agree, find another market. Especially at $4.99/lb!

Yeah, I just paid $1.99/LB for spares on sale at Winn-Dixie. I know you don't have them up there but Sam's had them for sale, for $2.49/lb. That is too much, especially when they are not sure what they are selling you.

Back