MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #16
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Are we missing an understanding of the difference in grilling to barbecue?

They're not close, by the way. I mean, if you want to ruin a nice NY Strip, put it on my Lang at 240 for 2 hours...
Conversely, grill a pork butt or a beef chuck roast on one of my weber grills and you've ruined that meat too.

Barbecue is the result of low and slow cooking, smoking if you will, usually over indirect heat and cooked a long time
so that the fat is rendered and broken down properly so as to render a normally tough piece of meat tender and juicy.

Grilling is what you do when you take a nicely marbled piece of meat and cook it to your preference and what is considered
properly done. Chicken medium rare is dangerous. A good steak medium rare is probably perfect.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #17
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
Are we missing an understanding of the difference in grilling to barbecue?

They're not close, by the way.
Lake Dogs...

Reread the thread...even the title was changed.

Yes, I know the difference between grilling and bbq.

Do you have a preference for your grilled meats, or did you just want to bust my chops?
tortaboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2011, 11:48 AM   #18
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortaboy View Post
Overcooked, Perfectly cooked...Potato, Potato.

You ain't in the club.
There is a guy at my work who is IN your club. I call him "dry meat."
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2011, 12:02 PM   #19
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

I'm with you. I like medium and in most restaurant that tend to serve everything rare I like medium well. I actually started a very similar titled thread, probably six months ago.

To each his own. But I don't get why the rare and medium well crowd is so militant.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-23-2011, 12:08 PM   #20
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
To each his own. But I don't get why the rare and medium well crowd is so militant.
Must be all that red meat.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #21
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

k,

Welcome to the club!

Old 10-23-2011, 01:29 PM   #22
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Hi!

Tortaboy, I am definitely in your crowd with the grilled beef and if I did post my own grilled beef pron, I imagine the din and chorus would have words like "overcooked, dry, shoe leather, burned, ruined". Sigh. To me my cooked steaks are juicy, flavourful and gorgeous. There is a point of no return for me (charcoal) but the friendly joking of the medium rare crowd starts in miles before that. Thanks to the powers that be we have a choice. I'd go hungry if I found my only option was to eat a grilled steak that had pink in the middle. Roast beef from the oven, same thing -- no pink or I'm making a peanut butter sandwich instead. On occasion I have choked down a steak with a mid stroke of pink to save someone's feelings but it makes me feel a little sick inside and I can't look at it very much. Not a nice way to feel while eating what is otherwise a beautiful steak. You can send all of your 'overcooked' beef to me to feast on and I will give good thanks and be grateful while I stuff myself. Mmmmm.
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #23
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Kathy's Smokin'

Welcome to the club. You are a brave soul to come clean here and risk the razzing that will be coming shortly.

If I wanted my meat as rare as some of these brethen, I'd just bring a salt and pepper shaker into the pasture, and bite into the first cow I saw!

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-23-2011, 01:48 PM   #24
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

That's right!!!!!
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]

Old 10-23-2011, 01:57 PM   #25
NorthwestBBQ

I think it's an acquired taste. When I was a boy I hated rare or raw meat. But as I got older I gained an appreciation for a perfectly cooked steak like this:

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-23-2011, 02:05 PM   #26
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

If only you grilled that a little longer, it would be so gooooood.

When I was a boy, I liked eating paste...not sure what that has to do with
undercooked meat?

Old 10-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #27
NorthwestBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortaboy View Post
If only you grilled that a little longer, it would be so gooooood.

When I was a boy, I liked eating paste...not sure what that has to do with
undercooked meat?
If the temp of the meat is in the safe zone it is not undercooked. I shoot for 135F. What temp do you like?

Old 10-23-2011, 02:23 PM   #28
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Hi!

When I was a young child I saw my grandfather chop the head off a rooster. It got away and was flapping around. The trauma hit me so hard I stopped eating meat altogether for some time. When I restarted I was really fussy about what meat I ate and how well it was done. I was afraid of raw meat until my late teens until grade 13 Biology where I learned proteins are just a chain of amino acids. Now I can cook raw meat with the best of them. If my only choice was to eat a steak that looked like the picture above I would likely revert back to the vegetarianism I did as child -- like PTSD. I'd rather eat meat than not so I'm staying away from pink to keep that love alive. I love smoking, que'ing, grilling meat and eating it -- that's a good enough reason to keep doing it 'my way'. Right, brothers?

Old 10-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #29
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ View Post
If the temp of the meat is in the safe zone it is not undercooked. I shoot for 135F. What temp do you like?
Hi!

I like about 170'F or so for a steak. I smoke my whole pork loins to about 175' to 190'F or so and I love them this way, I think they're juicy and tender and great.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #30
bigzthamoose
On the road to being a farker

I am NOT a member of this club, came on to just mention i converted one of these type meat eaters to a raw is better =) My wife wont eat any steak over med rare now. You ruin good steak and lamb and many more by taking it past med rare. It makes me sad to think any animal had to die to be overcooked lol
bigzthamoose is offline   Reply With Quote