The Birth of a UDS

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I picked up my second drum yesterday after not being happy with the first one. The new drum is a food-grade drum with a removable lid and it has a tan liner on the inside. Here are some photos...

20110802_Drum_0424.JPG

The drum came with plastic stoppers in the top holes, so I swapped them out with the metal ones from the other drum that I'm not using...

20110802_Drum_0425.JPG

20110802_Drum_0426.JPG

This drum has a clamp type locking ring for the lid. I'll probably hang on to that...

20110802_Drum_0427.JPG

20110802_Drum_0428.JPG

The top diameter of the drum measures just a little over 23 1/4 inches which is a bit too large for a kettle lid.

20110802_Drum_0429.JPG

My plan:

My objective overall is to build a UDS with two cooking racks and a lower rack where I can place a diffuser and water pan if needed. I am not going to cut the top lip off of this drum because I want to be able to use a dome lid or the flat lid depending on how much meat I plan to have on the smoker. I will find a dome lid and flare the lip on it to make a good fit. I will have three 1" air intakes at the bottom of the drum. One will be used with a simple cap and two will have elbows and riser pipes with 1" ball valves. I will attach side handles on the drum and a handle on the flat lid as well.

Build plan:

1. Assemble charcoal basket from expanded metal, charcoal grate, and make legs for it from stainless steel nuts, bolts, and washers

2. Make a suitable handle for charcoal basket

3. Clean out residual corn syrup from the drum

4. Measure and mark all holes for air intakes, mountings for the internal grates, pit thermometer, and internal meat probes.

5. Drill all the holes

6. Use weed burner to remove all exterior paint and interior lining from the drum

7. Use wire brush / angle grinder to remove all residual junk left over from the burn from interior and exterior of drum

8. Clean drum with rubbing alcohol

9. Paint the exterior of the drum, lid, and air intake system with Rustoleum high heat primer and let dry

10. Paint the exterior of the drum, lid, and air intake system with Rustoleum high heat black pain and add any extra graphics that I decide on and let dry

11. Install mounting nuts, bolts, and washers (all stainless steel) for diffuser and cooking grates

12. Spray the inside of the drum, lid, and cooking grates with cooking spray

13. Execute a seasoning burn in the drum with charcoal and wood chunks

14. Bask in the infinite glory of having accomplished this task when I already know I stink at building things.

I'll update this thread as the build progresses. It may be a week or two until I get started with the construction. I plan to get my charcoal basket built first so I will know where my grate measurements need to be.

Your feedback on this plan is appreciated!

Sounds like you're on the right track, JM.

Good luck with the Build, Brother!

I've never understood why do a test run, seasong burn. Put some fatty meat in or do like I do, spray when cool with good smelling cooking spray. Say olive oil or similar. You won't learn anything about burn rates or fuel use without product. Good luck on your build, but would have liked more to see you get a unlined drum. Steve.

Lots of luck. could be inspirational to me as well. keep us posted

I'll make a suggestion because I crossed that bridge. After you've burnt out your inside you'll be left with sort of a pink ash. If you jump on that with a wire wheel you'll create plenty of dust to breath. Even though some will squawk at introducing water into the equation, I found that using scotch brite or even steel wool on that inside after wetting it down will remove the ash quite cleanly. Then use your wire brush. Immediately afterwards spray it down with PAM.

Others have said a car wash spray will remove the ash but I didn't try that.

I just made a UDS out of a high fructose corn syrup barrel. I did 2 hot burns, and then sanded the inside with my random orbit sander and 40 grit. Make sure you wear some sort of respiratory protection, my mask was filthy when done.

Glad you finally got a suitable barrel for your first UDS!!!

Matt

Can I buy a piece of pipe that will thread directly into the larger top hole on the drum lid for a smoke stack? I haven't decided the best way to create an exhaust on that lid. I have seen a lot done with smoke stacks and just by drilling a few holes in the top lid...

JMS,

I love your plan!!!! I think my ADD would have me off my own rockers if I tried to write it all down. My UDS build once again got put on the back burner of time. And because of the HELLACIOUS TEXAS HEAT!
When I pick it back up, I will be revisiting your post! Thanks for your earnestness. :thumb:

Ok maybe the easiest solution now is to just get it sand blasted.

You can probably get it done for about 30-40 bucks.

To me it is worth the money and saving the headache of all that sanding and
grinding.

Try burning the inside to get the liner out, then use the easy off... It worked on mine.... I used the 2" black nipple pipe on my smoke stack too, worked perfectly. I was able to get a 3/4" knock out seal for the smaller hole to just shut it off altogether. i have a guy that runs a welding shop building me a firebasket for about $35 with the ashpan out of stainless steel. Figured I couldn't go wrong there.

I just walked over to the fire department to ask about this project and the guy I talked to didn't have a good answer but he's gonna supposedly have someone call me back. If I can get away with building a fire inside the drum, I will do that. If not, I'll have to do the weed burner instead...

That will do it.... That is what I used... Got most of the paint off the outside too.

Due to potential liability issues most of these local officials are going to be pretty vague about these things and stop short of telling you to go ahead with the burn.
That's my take.

Back