MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #16
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
The moisture goes to the middle of the meat while it's cooking, so the outside will be dry like mentioned above. I imagine it turned out OK so long as it was done to the point of being tender. I couldn't tell from your post if it was done. Hope it was great!
Follow up post meal:

Just got back in from the afternoon and evening out. I removed the pork from the little cooler at 1pm. It was still almost too hot to touch after 4 hours in it. I have read before it really holds well in a cooler, and it surely did. It was just me and a buddy eating, so I took 1/2 the butt and pulled with 2 forks. Effortlessly it shredded, and the bone came out with two fingers. The inside was moist and with the dry bark mixed in it was great texture. I did not mix in the fatcap, wondering if I should do that next time. I mixed in a tablespoon of a homemade apple BBQ sauce I made, and then poured a little of a eastern NC vinegar sauce on slaw on top. These were BIG sandwiches and we both had 2. Still stuffed 9 hours later and have remnants of a smokey taste leftover too! All in all a very large success, especially with the weber minion method. The kettle was at 175 when I left the house, 13 hours later. When I pulled the meat off this am it was at 265, after a FULL 9 hours of burning with NO extra coals added. Was quite impressed with the kettles tenaciousness.

Was a little concerned this AM, as when I took it off the meat was 203F. But for my first minion burn I am very happy with my results of the cook. I wish to thank everyone who shared information over the past two days in my posts. <humbly bows>

Had the camera ready to go at the pull... but hunger overwhelmed me.. so alas.. no photos. But I assure you... I did eat!
Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11

Last edited by Smiter Q; 07-02-2011 at 11:09 PM..
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-02-2011, 10:23 PM   #17
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I'm glad that it came out well! I don't mix in the fat cap, but I have heard of guys doing that.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2011, 10:29 PM   #18
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

9 hour burn on a kettle - that's awesome!
How'd you do that? Inquiring minds want to know!
Nice work and congrats!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote