MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:40 PM   #1
Q Haven
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Catering Question

I'm still new to this catering stuff....

I've been approached to cook a party for 150 people. They want loin back ribs, pulled pork, assorted chicken pieces and beef brisket. Ribs and chicken would be cooked on site, beef and pork cooked overnight and finished on site.

I will not have to do any sides or dessert, or bring anything except the meats, sauces, sandwich rolls, cooking equipment and wire chaffers and pans.

I'm looking for suggestions on what to charge per person. I have an idea in my head and am looking to see if I am far off.

Thanks in advance....

Q Haven BBQ, Orange, CT
qhaven.com
facebook.com/qhavenbbq

Backwoods Competitor, Backwoods Party G2, Backwoods Party
Q Haven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 04:45 PM   #2
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I am thinking off the top of my head $17 per. Cost of the event is $2550, you stand to profit very nicely. YMMV

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Isn't the cost of the meat much lower out in California?

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:49 PM   #4
big brother smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
Isn't the cost of the meat much lower out in California?
I don't think so, unless you are talking tri-tip.

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

Old 03-11-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
Bbq Bubba

I agree with Big Bro, i'd be at 17.95 for 4 meats cooked on site.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:00 PM   #6
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
I am thinking off the top of my head $17 per. Cost of the event is $2550, you stand to profit very nicely. YMMV

I would be around that mark also.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:22 PM   #7
JimDandysNYDan
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't mean to hijack, maybe I'm not...wouldn't that price per head matter on how many sides the host of the party is making and how much meat that will be needed to cooking on siite....I have no idea......so is there a round figure an average price of those type of meats per pound?

Dan
JimDandysNYDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:26 PM   #8
big brother smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDandysNYDan View Post
I don't mean to hijack, maybe I'm not...wouldn't that price per head matter on how many sides the host of the party is making and how much meat that will be needed to cooking on siite....I have no idea......so is there a round figure an average price of those type of meats per pound?

Dan
I took into consideration that he had to provide no sides in determining my price. I do not do the per lb. thingy, unless a customer ask which they never do.

If I were to provide sides I would have said something like $21 per. Does that make farking sense

Old 03-11-2009, 05:37 PM   #9
JimDandysNYDan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
I took into consideration that he had to provide no sides in determining my price. I do not do the per lb. thingy, unless a customer ask which they never do.

If I were to provide sides I would have said something like $21 per. Does that make farking sense
Sure does...Thanks....I guess it just comes down to doing it enough times and you eventually get a feel for how much is needed...I'm new to this whole catering thing and if I am not in control of how much meat AND sides, I would end up making enough meat for a Vulture Luau........good question Q-Haven...
JimDandysNYDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:57 PM   #10
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

I usually figure it by taking the total cost times 3 to 3.5 depending on the drive time and complexity of the gig.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:31 PM   #11
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

I used to do that precise service in the Norwich, New London area for 16 off site (within 50 miles) or 19 on site.

People will be very happy with you and be sure to take lots of brochures and cards.

Also, and I strongly advise this if you want to grow your business.

I would also set up a raffle. Raffle off a Complimentary MEAL for 6 delivered to their work or business for anyone that registers with a VALID email.

The point is not really to give away a meal but build a data base of emails that you can inform of your whereabouts, prices, specials (awards in your case), and redirects to your bbq blog. Your first email should be, after you feed and inform the winner, an email announcing who won the free dinner. Make sure you have pictures to post in the email... video links would be a big plus (you already have a presence on youtube.)

People will always remember u wrote them and may save your e mail (plus you will write them again), they may bookmark your blog, or site, or youtube channel.

Never show up with good vittles unless properly prepared to be able to somehow contact the people who have been impressed with your food.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:18 PM   #12
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

You are in a nice area of CT, I think you can get up in the 20 area. Good Luck.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:29 PM   #13
Q Haven
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for the responses all. I was thinking $20 so I wasn't too far off. I've done a few catering jobs before, but all were flat fee and never more than 50 people. This should be an interesting challenge if I get the gig.

Q Haven BBQ, Orange, CT
qhaven.com
facebook.com/qhavenbbq

Backwoods Competitor, Backwoods Party G2, Backwoods Party
Q Haven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:12 AM   #14
grillfella
is one Smokin' Farker

remember supplies can get expensive ie food tins charcoal, smoking wood, plates ect make sure all of that is factored in
grillfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:39 AM   #15
hossrocks
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Haven View Post
I'm still new to this catering stuff....

I've been approached to cook a party for 150 people. They want loin back ribs, pulled pork, assorted chicken pieces and beef brisket. Ribs and chicken would be cooked on site, beef and pork cooked overnight and finished on site.

I will not have to do any sides or dessert, or bring anything except the meats, sauces, sandwich rolls, cooking equipment and wire chaffers and pans.

I'm looking for suggestions on what to charge per person. I have an idea in my head and am looking to see if I am far off.

Thanks in advance....
We would be around $18.50 for four meats with set up...
[B]Kuna, ID[/B]
[URL="http://www.bigdaddysbbqonline.com"]www.bigdaddysbbqonline.com[/URL]
Louisiana Grill - Whole Hog
Traeger 150
30x72 Reverse Flow Offset
16ft Wells Cargo Mobile Kitchen
12ft Full service Mobile Kitchen
hossrocks is offline   Reply With Quote