MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:55 AM   #1
chibi
Full Fledged Farker

Default Comps and generators.

Here in Colorado they do not allow the use of generators. Is that the way everywhere? Anyone have a clue as to why they would not allow them? I have one set up in my trailer that is very quiet.I would rather not have to pay for electricty.

Vertical insulated charcoal dropping clone.
Homemade offset.
Traeger LilTex for winter cheating.
<><

Remember when you get in the
storms of life that's when you have to learn to dance in the rain.
chibi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2008, 09:02 AM   #2
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Pay for electricity???
Sounds like bullchit, someones trying to make some coin!
If they're not supplying FREE electric, the geny goes!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2008, 09:06 AM   #3
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

We get electricity included at every contest up here but folks still use generators depending on how big their set up is. I know the poohbah runs his honda all weekend but that thing is so whisper quiet you would hardly know.
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2008, 02:10 PM   #4
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
We get electricity included at every contest up here but folks still use generators depending on how big their set up is. I know the poohbah runs his honda all weekend but that thing is so whisper quiet you would hardly know.
I pay for electric every time, but how many people dont and still use it? I think a DQ would be in order, what do you think.
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2008, 03:38 PM   #5
FatBoyz
is one Smokin' Farker

electricity is your bitch thing to handle, not every one has a honda gen and some are farking load hard to sleep that may be why kcbs rules quiet time 11:00 pm

Old 05-03-2008, 04:16 PM   #6
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

I used my obnoxiously loud coleman at a cookoff once and there were several folks there who would probably slice my throat if I tried to do it a second time. That was my first and only cookoff to use that generator.

I would much rather pay for electricity. The last time I ran my generator utilizing my A/C, I think I put 20 gallons (that is about $75 now days) in it for the weekend. That margarita machine last year at traders village consumed massive amounts of electricity too.

So following that cookoff I purchased a Kipor 3500Ti (3KW) on advice from some folks here on the forum. I like it a lot. It is quiet and can handle my A/C unit on my travel trailer.

If I could have one more feature on the Kipor, I would take a larger fuel tank. While running my A/C which we do quite often here in TX, I can only get about 6 hours running time.

I purchased it online through Amazon for $999 which included shipping. The best part about the generator isnt that it is so quiet, I like the fact that it provides such clean power. Not only did my coleman make load noise, it fried my daughters computer too. Thank goodness for warranties. It looks like the price is about $1500 now.

I cut and pasted this from the Amazon website:

This is the new Kipor model IG3000. This model also was called the KGE3000Ti and KGE3500Ti before. It is covered by Kipor North America for a 2 years national warranty available in many service dealers across US and Canada. It can start a 15,000 BTU rooftop RV air conditioner. Built-in 30 AMP twist lock receptacle (l5-30R) on this generator; Industrial steel metal chassis; Rated Frequency (Hz): 60; Rated Voltage (V): 120; Rated Current (A): 23.3; Rated Rotation Speed (rpm): 3600; Rated Output Power (W): 2800; Max. Output Power (W): 3000; DC Output: 12V-8.3A; Phase Numbers: Single phase; Fuel Tank Capacity: 3.5 gallons; Engine Type: Single cylinder, 4-stroke, overhead valve gasoline engine; Rated Power [kW (PS)/rpm] 4.0(5.5)/3600; Rated Rotation Speed (rpm): 3600; Starting System: Electric with pull start backup; Fuel Type: Unleaded gasoline; Fuel Consumption (g/kW.h): 395; Low Oil Warning: Engine stops automatically when oil runs low; Noise level(dB(A))/ 20 feet: 56 (no load), 57 (1/4 load), 62 (full load); EPA Certified Engine - 200cc OHC ,single cylinder, 4-stroke, air-cooled, low emission. Kipor Sinemaster digital inverter generators have a built-in computer monitoring the voltage and load constantly. They are a type of "Smart Generator". The voltage is constantly adjusted to maintain 120V by the computer inverter module. Kipor can automatically regulate the engine speed according to the load, so the fuel consumption of digital generator sets is 20%-40% lower than traditional sets, so the running time is therefore much longer as well. The noise level is further reduced at lower running speeds. Sinemaster digital inverter generators have a new two-tiered noise dampening system, so the noise emitted by these generators is 6-9 dB less than traditional generators. This translates to 4 to 8 times quieter than conventional generators. This meets the new noise ordinances that some state and national parks have adopted.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2008, 05:29 PM   #7
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Default fix for loud generators

Having dealt with this problem often, I have a cheap. quick fix for those obnoxious so-called factory quiet mufflers found on most generators;most Japanese excluded. Most chain type auto parts houses sell cheap mufflers, from $15.00 to $25.00.buy one. Next get flex exhaust tubing and a small piece of tubing that fits inside the flex, a couple of rad. or exhaust clamps. Now weld spud over existing muffler outlet, connect flex to muffler and flex to outlet,clamp and now you have the quietest muffler for the money. To totally quiet things, build portable shield out insulation for valve noise. In most areas of the country, this is a fix less than fifty bucks.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2008, 05:57 PM   #8
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbbqguy View Post
Having dealt with this problem often, I have a cheap. quick fix for those obnoxious so-called factory quiet mufflers found on most generators;most Japanese excluded. Most chain type auto parts houses sell cheap mufflers, from $15.00 to $25.00.buy one. Next get flex exhaust tubing and a small piece of tubing that fits inside the flex, a couple of rad. or exhaust clamps. Now weld spud over existing muffler outlet, connect flex to muffler and flex to outlet,clamp and now you have the quietest muffler for the money. To totally quiet things, build portable shield out insulation for valve noise. In most areas of the country, this is a fix less than fifty bucks.
Very good solution.

You still need to concern yourself with clean power if using some of the hi-tech gear we currently utilize.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2008, 06:05 PM   #9
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

good idea!! what do you do about the team playing music so loud at 3am that you cant hear the lightning crack?
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2008, 10:13 PM   #10
Just Smokin' Around
Full Fledged Farker

Electric is pretty cheap at most contest in the mid Atlantic- usually around $25. A few are free. When I look at the cost of a quiet generator and the price of gas, I can buy a lot of elec. hook ups for that price.
Medium BGE, Weber Kettle and gasser, other toys
Just Smokin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2008, 10:58 PM   #11
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Problem I had before getting the generator, was running a full sized fridge and water heater from an extension cord. the fridges wouldnt get cold and if the heater kicked on, it would blow the circuit. Unless you get a 9-10 gauge, 100 foot cord, the voltage drop is to steep with one of the standard backyard cords. If your running just a few lights suing contest voltage, then it doesn' t matter, but the damage done to due to low voltage on fridges and A/C's can get costly. thats why I run the generator now.. This past contest, I ran around the clock with under 10 gallons of gas for 3 days.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2008, 12:26 AM   #12
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
This past contest, I ran around the clock with under 10 gallons of gas for 3 days.
Honda?

Old 05-04-2008, 06:36 AM   #13
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

Kevin, yes Phil has a Honda. I was 2 sites away from his at Salisbury and never heard the generator once. While visiting his site, you could hardldy hear the gen. running. I'm going to have to look into one of those. I'm doing a small comp. this weekend in Conowingo, MD and electricity is not available. A friend of mine is bringing a Honda generator and said that I can tap into it.

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2008, 09:32 AM   #14
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

yup... a Honda 3000Ti

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2008, 05:03 PM   #15
ihbobry
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
yup... a Honda 3000Ti
Having spent a weekend next to it I can attest to it being very very quiet, the only loud thing about it was the rainbow nation umbrella keeping it dry.
ihbobry is offline   Reply With Quote