Smoking a 5lb Meatloaf today

Boomshakalaka

Reaction score
I am planning on making a traditional meatloaf with a bunch of goodies inside as well as a little of my brisket injection added to it and brisket rub to give it a little extra bbq kick. I'm also going to parrtially wrap it with bacon. The plan is to throw it on the stick burner at around 275 till she hits 165. Sometimes I add milk to my recipe to make it a little mushy and help form it. That being said, you think the milk is a bad idea cooking it at that temp?

Thanks fellas

I use one egg per pound of meat as my "liquid." Eggs and bread crumbs make a great binder.

CD

I have done quite a few meatloaves in the size you mention. I free form the meatloaf and then place on top of foil with cuts in it to let the grease drip down. I think any oven recipe you enjoy works well. I agree with the previous post of a 155-160 pullof the smoker and then rest a few. I haven't used milk in mine. I use bread crumbs, eggs, and some grated cheese as my binder. I also like to mix in 1/3 ground pork in my loaves for the moisture and flavor.

I am using crushed Ritz crackers and eggs for my binder. I'm just worried about the milk turning due to such a low cooker temp.

Heed the advice to put it on foil with cuts for the juices to flow. My first one was just on the grid. It kinda... settled down onto the wire grid and I ended up with a meatloaf encased grate

take a foil bread pan .put holes in the bottom for the juices to flow. Then when it is solid take it out and finish to 150 . By the way i use panko and eggs for a binder .

imagejpeg

Back